Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: xdm40

(Cumberland County)

Default xdm40

I just got a xdm 40 and when I shoot 135grn hp federal it shoots more accurate than when I shoot 180grn hp federal or winchester.Is there any upgrades that somebody here has done to get a better shot with higher grain bullets.I would like to have the 180grn for when I carry,any suggestions

Default Re: xdm40

Really for Law enforcement work or protection against a Man I believe the 135 grain jhp in 40 cal is probably the best performer it gives ballistic results similar to the 357 magnum. I do understand that the 165-180 grain bullets penetrates deeper and work better when shooting through angled glass or auto windsheild.
    But the 135 because of its speed will have the largest diameter mushroom, I find them to equal 45acp jhp mushroom.

This is just my unofficial opinion the 135grain 40 cal is not a bad round if your XDM shoot that round best maybe you need to carry what makes that gun the most accurate, nothing wrong with carrying a magazine of 180 ammo just in case you need or want that extra punch.

By the way I like the XDM alot better then the original XD, nice choice of weapon.

(Cumberland County)

Thanks,Its just that 135 grn is hard to find.Im going to start reloading my .40 ammo soon.Just got a box of hornady 155grn xtp hp bullets for reloading.Im going to the harrisburg gun show for powder next week

I am seriously considering the XDm 4.5 in 9mm in black with the Tritium sights for my next acquisition, its between that and an FNP series gun. I have to feel them both in my hand to decide which one I want though.
    The M1. Smackin' the bastards since 1932.

(Beaver County)

You can order Nosler bullets in 135grain hollow points off of several companies on the net. I buy them in bulk packs of 250 for right around 35 bucks. These seem to have the best performance and cost for reloading. I save the 155 xtp for my 10mm.
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.