Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default The Desert Eagle thread.

Love em or hate em... lets talk Desert Eagle. feel free to post pictures and your experiences.

personally ive handled quite a few, and shot 2 different d-eagles, my own with several barrels. 50, 44 and 357... seriously one of the most fun weapons around. completely impractical but an absolute blast (no pun intended) to shoot. ive heard lots about them being inaccurate and unreliable... i boil that down to ammo choice. all in all, its definitely not for everyone but i love em.

(Washington County)

Default Re: The Desert Eagle thread.

I would love one in .357Mag, but right now it is not a practical purchase.

Can the average model sawp barrels and mags to shoot other calibers, or only specific ones?

That aside, every time I have seen one at the range, it jammed. FTFs, stovepipes... not something I would be relying on for much more than entertainment. Anthony Arms in West Mifflen took theirs off the rental docket because of so many issues.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
    I would love one in .357Mag, but right now it is not a practical purchase.

Can the average model sawp barrels and mags to shoot other calibers, or only specific ones?

That aside, every time I have seen one at the range, it jammed. FTFs, stovepipes... not something I would be relying on for much more than entertainment. Anthony Arms in West Mifflen took theirs off the rental docket because of so many issues.
    lol yea a desert eagle is definitely not "practical"

and yes they all swap. its a wonderful thing.

i would venture to say that 50% of jams/issues are caused by limp wristing the weapon. it needs your arm/hand to really put some force on it to properly cycle, and most people screw that up at least once or twice. also, like i said, ammo is a big issue, the guns IMO dont like every kind of the respective calibers... ive had really good luck with remington ammunition, as well as hornady and Magnum Research (MRI) ammo.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Chaos View Post

i would venture to say that 50% of jams/issues are caused by limp wristing the weapon. it needs your arm/hand to really put some force on it to properly cycle, and most people screw that up at least once or twice. also, like i said, ammo is a big issue, the guns IMO dont like every kind of the respective calibers... ive had really good luck with remington ammunition, as well as hornady and Magnum Research (MRI) ammo.
    the best accuracy ive seen so far is samson ammo, expensive as hell, but what the gun was made for.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by CHEMICAL View Post
    the best accuracy ive seen so far is samson ammo, expensive as hell, but what the gun was made for.
    im pretty sure they dont even make that anymore, which is unfortunate.

most of the 50ae that ive used has been hornady, the stuff i was "plinking" bowling pins with was MRI and i liked it.

(Monroe County)

im pretty sure they dont even make that anymore, which is unfortunate.

most of the 50ae that ive used has been hornady, the stuff i was "plinking" bowling pins with was MRI and i liked it.
    that sucks. when i used to take trips to A.F. Boyer to check out guns my friend would ask me to pick up some Samson for him cuz they were the only place that had it in stock.

i can't help but think i had something to do with your desert eagle purchase... LOL

anywho, as for the barrel swap, that's not entirely true. all mark XIX models can swap barrels however the older mark VIIs and original desert eagles cannot.

i would also second that venture of the limp wristing. i've put over 200 rounds (which is alot at $2 a bullet, lol) and never had a failure. i've shot hornady and speer 300 grain JHP and MRI brand (with speer casings) 350 grain jacketed soft point.

i would also like to point out that anyone planning on doing some serious shooting should invest in the hogue rubber grips. what a difference those make. mine came with wood grips which actually split in multiple places. i'll try to find pics and put them up.

(Chester County)

the rubber grips are still on backorder from magnum research, i ordered em back in march and still havent gotten em.

(Jefferson County)

Back when I was young & dumb I had the 44mag with the standard and the 14" barrel. I figured I'd be kool being a skinny kid carrying a BFG, ...the coolness never came. lol Sold it for about what I paid for it.

They are great guns though, but more of a safe and range queen than a practical piece. I'm not really into bottom feeding brass poluters, but I'd love to have the whole set - .357, .41, .44, .50.
    Last edited by knight0334; June 1st, 2010 at 01:53 PM.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Luzerne County)

I only have two so far. .357 and .44 mag.

troll Free. It's all in your mind.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast