Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need a hand

(Lackawanna County)

Default Need a hand

I bought a Stag AR15 a few weeks ago and for the life of me I can't get it sighted in. I need someone who is proficient with AR15s and sighting, not someone who just likes to shoot. I like to shoot and I can't get it sighted in.

I have the ammo, good binoculars, tripod of sorts and everything else one might need and is willing to buy what I need.

So if you can help me out I'll gladly pay you for your time in ammo, money, brass, w/e.

My schedule is very flexible for the most part.

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: Need a hand

Sighting in your rifle is no problem, it's to what degree of accuracy are you looking for? If you are satisfied with 6 in groups at 100 yards or 1 in at 100. Do you reload is my first question? Factory loads are good for the guy that wants to shoot fast and a lot. I do a lot of bench shooting, I reload all my ammunition I cannot recall when I shot a factory round. I can group single hole groups of 5 all day at 100 yards. Do you shoot with a scope or iron sights? A good scope on an AR should give 1 in groups after 1st 3 shots. I have several AR's and find them all to shoot well at 100 yards. Go to a range and listen to some of the conversations of the older and slower shooters. Guys that show up run out take 20 shots jump in their trucks and speed off don't know diddley about shooting. I have learned more in the past few months than I knew in the past 20 years by listening and asking questions. Time and patience is the key to good shooting and accuracy. I shoot every day if I can sometimes 20 rounds sometimes 100 rounds. I never rush anything.

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by Lee G. View Post
    Sighting in your rifle is no problem, it's to what degree of accuracy are you looking for? If you are satisfied with 6 in groups at 100 yards or 1 in at 100. Do you reload is my first question? Factory loads are good for the guy that wants to shoot fast and a lot. I do a lot of bench shooting, I reload all my ammunition I cannot recall when I shot a factory round. I can group single hole groups of 5 all day at 100 yards. Do you shoot with a scope or iron sights? A good scope on an AR should give 1 in groups after 1st 3 shots. I have several AR's and find them all to shoot well at 100 yards. Go to a range and listen to some of the conversations of the older and slower shooters. Guys that show up run out take 20 shots jump in their trucks and speed off don't know diddley about shooting. I have learned more in the past few months than I knew in the past 20 years by listening and asking questions. Time and patience is the key to good shooting and accuracy. I shoot every day if I can sometimes 20 rounds sometimes 100 rounds. I never rush anything.
    Factory ammo, i probally want it sighted in for a 50 yards, i have a red dot and irons, I just bought a riser so i'll play with both. I'm looking to just to get on the target lol

The old fucks that know what their doing want nothing to do with me since its an "assualt rifle".

I just played with my bore sight laser around 5am and maybe it's sighted in idk i'll stop at the range today or tomorrow and let you know.

(Lackawanna County)

You just haven't talked to the right old f--k. I am one and think the AR is a great rifle. I ran around in the jungle with one for awhile and know it's capabilities. Start with patience like I said and you should be all right. It may not be the gun might possibly be the sight you are using. I'd look at that first if things don't work out.

1. Just becuase someome looks mean and grumpy does not mean they are not willing to help or listen. I have met quite a few great shooters that were just not chatty but when you talked to them they have a wealth pf info.

2. Do some research, everyone is going to have there own idea on how to zero a weapon. More than one way to skin a cat....

3. sorry to far to give you a hand...

http://ar15zeroing.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Etnf76QTu_U
    Tantric Shooting Team

(Montgomery County)

It is not as hard as you think however it is WAY better to have a friend with you. someone who can use a scope or binocs to help spot you while shooting. If i was near you I would help out, I hope you find a range buddy soon.

(Delaware County)

More info is needed.

How are you physically handling the firearm?

Are you using a vice or handheld?

Do you have bipod mounted?

(Luzerne County)

I can help but I live south of you. I have a benchrest and spotting scope. I am certain we can get the AR on the mark in no time.

(Lackawanna County)

Mine was a real dart in the arse to set up right out of the box, too (S&W M&P), even using the boresite laser.

I have the Picatinny sight (MI) with a 4/3 base setting, meant to be used on a full rail without a carry handle.

The front sight was spot-on, but it took forever to get the rear set up, I used the 0-2 aperture but had to chase the threads in the rear sight in order for it to bottom out. Then I got it on paper at 50, and set the windage...centered is nowhere near center, it's about three turns over.

Then to add insult to injury, I decided to get a red-dot which was too low to co-witness with the iron sites, and the riser I got (1") meant that I had to drop the dot way down in the scope, but it does line right up with both the 0-2 and unmarked sight.

I'm willing to wager that your Stag has the front sight set all the way down; you set elevation using the front site, then zero using the rear sight.

I need to get up to Gun Toter's to pick up my 1/2" riser, that should let me get the dot back up in the center, and I think I'm going to zero at 200 instead of 300 this time.

The scope I picked up up was a pain, too; the riser was too tall, and it took s few weeks to find the 'right' size mounts; that zero'ed right in though...that is a 4-12 x 55 scope; I needed the higher rings to get the front lens ring off of the damn rail so I could focus it.
    "...a REPUBLIC, if you can keep it."

(Monroe County)

Hi Mickey,

I live in Monroe County and generally shoot at Palmerton R&G club. If you want to make a trip down this way and meet with me I can help you out.

I am an NRA certified instructor and have experience with the AR-15. I own 2.

Are you shooting iron sights or scoped?
    Do you wear corrective lenses?
    Do you have much experience shooting rifles?...from the bench or from field positions?
    Are you using a bi-pod? or rifle cradle?
    Is the gun brand, spanking new? If so, have you cleaned the bore?
    What kind of ammo (manufacturer, bullet weight, etc.) are you using?

I have found the laser bore sighting systems to be mediocre at best.

There are a lot of variables and whatever info you can share will help to narrow down the trouble.

Happy to assist. Just let me know when you want to schedule a range trip. I have a lot of time during the week and the range is usually not crowded then.
    Just send me a PM and I can give you my number or email and we can set a time from there.

Best,
    twoguns

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast