Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need a hand

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: Need a hand

Go to AC Moore, or maybe Walmart, and grab some big poster board (couple cents each) and put a couple of them up on the stand and go from there. It'll be a lot easier to find out where you are missing with the poster boards rather than trying to hit a smaller target and not knowing where your rounds are going.

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by romesds View Post
    Go to AC Moore, or maybe Walmart, and grab some big poster board (couple cents each) and put a couple of them up on the stand and go from there. It'll be a lot easier to find out where you are missing with the poster boards rather than trying to hit a smaller target and not knowing where your rounds are going.
    Also start out around 25 yards and work your way back from there. This will give you a good idea of how much you are off. The closer you can get the better of an idea you will get as to how far your sights are off. Distance only increases your error.

(Lackawanna County)

These old timers at this range take one look at my gun and my younger looking face and they shake their head in disgust.

I asked one guy to borrow his binoculars after he was done with them and he said they were broken lol

this is the tripod that I use.

http://www.battenfeldtechnologies.co...Handy-Rest-NXT

No bi-pod mounted yet, I'm waiting on my buddy to get it to me.
    I don't know what you mean by am I physically handling the gun?

I have my buddy who is the in the national guard with me the other day and he didn't know what was going on. Of course he said he has a DI over his shoulder telling him what to do.

I shoot from the prone position when trying to site in rifles. I bought a GI sleeping mat for 5 bucks at a gun show and lay on that. The bipod is on the ground not the pad.

I use a laser lyte bore sighter and these are the kind of binoculars i have http://www.nightvisionplanet.com/leu..._store=default

Actually Bill it seems like the front sight was up i think.

(Lackawanna County)

Sounds as though you are not even printing a mark on paper. What you need is some white grocery paper like a meat wraper uses. Cover the 50 yard backstop with the paper. Put a florescent bull right in the middle. Get a buddy for a spotter and find where you are hitting from there. That back stop is a 4x8 sheet of plywood and if your not hitting that even with open sights you have a serious problem. Try using a sandbag and work from there. When are you at the range? I usuall go mornings when it is cool. I assume you are using the Archabald range also with your upper resting on a sandbag try pulling your bolt carrier and bore sight your gun as best you can you should get it close that way.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by mickey01023 View Post
    These old timers at this range take one look at my gun and my younger looking face and they shake their head in disgust.

I asked one guy to borrow his binoculars after he was done with them and he said they were broken lol

this is the tripod that I use.

http://www.battenfeldtechnologies.co...Handy-Rest-NXT

No bi-pod mounted yet, I'm waiting on my buddy to get it to me.
    I don't know what you mean by am I physically handling the gun?

I have my buddy who is the in the national guard with me the other day and he didn't know what was going on. Of course he said he has a DI over his shoulder telling him what to do.

I shoot from the prone position when trying to site in rifles. I bought a GI sleeping mat for 5 bucks at a gun show and lay on that. The bipod is on the ground not the pad.

I use a laser lyte bore sighter and these are the kind of binoculars i have http://www.nightvisionplanet.com/leu..._store=default

Actually Bill it seems like the front sight was up i think.

The position of the forearm support is important if you want consistency. Personally, I would install the bipod before sighting the rifle in. That way, the forearm is supported consistently.

I've also sighted some rifles in with a vice. I've used the vice when mounted on a tabletop. With the rifle secured in the vice, the only handling I had to do to the rifle was pull the trigger. If all goes well, the rifle and the vice should not move during recoil. This method eliminates some potential user input variables.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=607786

^^ Not a product endorsement, but an idea of what I am referring to.

Also, the initial distance is important. FWIW, I agree w/ the other recommendations to start at 25 yards and use really big sheets of cardboard.... much bigger than what you think you will need lol.

(Lackawanna County)

Problem is, if he is using a SGL range (at least the Archbald one) 50 yards is the closest he has to shoot. Cover the backstop with paper/poster board...you HAVE to be able to hit that, hell you could probably hit it without looking through any sights. Then go from there.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12