Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Considering a .44 mag snubby, any advice!

Picked up my very first firearm about 2 mos ago, a .357 Ruger GP100 4" and a month later a SP101 2" also in 357 and have been having a blast target shooting them on the range. I've also started to reload as well and shot through a few hundred .38spl and .357 reloads already. I think I'm ready to move up in caliber now Any thoughts on the Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan .44 mag 2.5" revolver? I've heard plinking .44 spl rounds is actually pretty fun with this model, anyone have similar experiences?

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Considering a .44 mag snubby, any advice!

Any Ruger is a fine gun. Get good hearing protection.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Monroe County)

I have a S&W 629 bounty hunter. 3" 44 magnum.

A handful, but a lot of fun.

I found both triggers to be terrible to me so the triggers are on a scale to me.. The Glock was a crisper suck and the XD was a more mushy suck. They are in the same family, SR9 (heavy suck), Glock (crisp heavy suck), XD( lighter mushy suck), M&P(heavy mushy suck).

(Berks County)

I used to carry a 4" S&W Model 29. You would do well to handle segveral different shorter barreled .44 magnums in person - some are pretty large and heavy, all of them require a very good holster and belt to carry. I used to use a lower-end magnum load for carry purposes, but there are many very good .44 Special loads made for this use as well.

mark
    Another armed Liberal veteran.

(Elk County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    . . . Get good hearing protection.

Knight's right; and I would add anti-flash gear, too.

Seriously, I had a 3" S&W 629 that was fun to shoot with 44 Spl ammo, but it was a flamethrower with WWB 44 Mag ammo. I am not recoil sensitive, but the recoil was something to behold with a handgun that low in mass when shooting the Winchester factory stuff. I ended up not shooting it much, and when I realized that when I started loading my 44 Magnum rounds down, and my 45 Colt rounds up and settled on darned near the same powder and charge for both, I sold all the 44 Magnum guns and ammo. I had many more "interesting" firearms in 45 Colt that I enjoyed shooting. I don't miss the 44 Mag stuff.

A snub 44 Mag is truly "a blast" to shoot.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Montgomery County)

If you want to move up in caliber get a full sized .44 like a Smith and Wesson performance center light hunter with the 7.5 inch barrel. They cost similar when used to the Alaskan and are much more practical for target or hunting.

The .44 Mag makes for a terrible defensive weapon. Around here, people are the biggest threat as they are everywhere else on this green/blue rock. If you are looking for a defense weapon you already have a fine one. If you want to make lots of noise at the range and spend more on ammo go with a .460 or .500 Mag in a Smith and Wesson. They have similar energy to the .308 Winchester and they come in shorter barrels.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Cambria County)

That's a fine hangun you thelemite!!!! I love a 629.
    These are the times that try men's souls: The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Thomas Paine 1776