Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Lightbulb Smith and Wesson experts, I need your help!

Okay, I have two questions. One is pretty straight forward and the other is a lot more involved.

I bought 2 S&W revolvers over the weekend. The first is a Model 19-3. SN 2K97011 and it also has 99317 and D11 stamped on the frame in a few places. Additionally there are a few other random numbers and letters on the butt of the frame that are visible with the grips removed. It is pinned and recessed and has a 4" barrel. What is the date of manufacture and is there anything else I should know?

Now for the more involved question...I also picked up a model 1955 or so the barrel says. It is a 5 screw model that was part of the 1937 Brazilian contract. It has "Unados Estados de Brazil" on the right side of the gun. Unfortunately, somebody reblued the frame at some point in its life so I wrote down the markings while I can still read them because in years to come they are going to become obscured.

Anyway, it also has a 4" barrel instead of the 6 or 6.5" barrel that model 1955's have. Is the barrel original? Is the barrel replaceable (it looks pretty well used and worn)? How difficult is it to replace myself (I'm in no rush and want to do it right) and what sort of cost am I looking at?

What is the date of manufacture? The serial number is 193920. I read that the Brazilian government ordered 25000 of these so I take it they aren't terribly rare or valuable? I am just excited to have a revolver that shoots .45 ACP.

It will need a lot of help to get going, but I am willing to put the time and work into it (as well as the money).

Anything else unique or special I should know?

And I will try and post pictures soon. But if you need to know anything specifically to help answer my questions let me know.

Thanks in advance!
    -Zach

(Lebanon County)

Default Re: Smith and Wesson experts, I need your help!

the m19-3 is from 1972.
    the other numbers are various assembly and factory tracking numbers.

the barrel on the '37 has a replacement barrel "stolen" from a model 1955.
    the serial number puts it in the 1938 shipment.

the contract guns are basically just model of 1917s, with a few minor changes.
    the model 1955 is an evolution of the 1917, which the 1937 evolved from as well.
    the barrel is cut down, the 1955's came with either a 6.5" or a very rare 5" barrel.
    the 1937 should a 5.5" "pencil" barrel, with a half moon front sight. so yes it is replacable, but probably not even worth the hassel of finding either a decent m1917 or m1937 barrel.

the model 1917 is one of my most favorite guns.
    it's just a simple no frills, get the job done because it can pistol.
    i take mine out every chance i get. it is a pleasure to shoot 45acp from.....if you reload look into 45auto rim.
    they remove the hassle of moon clips.
    Last edited by brian; May 30th, 2010 at 06:53 PM.
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

(Bucks County)

Thank you for the quick reply.

I don't care if the barrel matches the original gun so much as I want a nice shooter. The current barrel's rifling is visible but worn.

Also, the original grips were long gone and the replacement grips mangled. Any set of N frame grips should fit, right?

-Zach

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by zachomega View Post
    Thank you for the quick reply.

I don't care if the barrel matches the original gun so much as I want a nice shooter. The current barrel's rifling is visible but worn.

Also, the original grips were long gone and the replacement grips mangled. Any set of N frame grips should fit, right?

-Zach
    one thing to take into account, the rifling in 45 pistols is not very deep or pronounced.
    the round is relatively low pressure and slow moving, would take many, many rounds to wear out the barrel.

after market service stocks are availible....smooth walnut...but yes any N frames will fit.
    though the large target stocks are not needed with the round.
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

If you picked this gun up at the Bristol show, which I highly suspect you did, you want to make sure that you have a qualified smith check the timing and end shake. The turn line on that cylinder looked like some kind of wave pattern on an ocilliscope. As others have said, the rifling is probably GTG - you'd be hard pressed to wear it out with .45 ACP. Good luck.

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    NRA Benefactor Member

(Berks County)

Numrich has new replacement grips - www.gunpartscorp.com

I hae one of the Brazilian Contract revolers in my drawer - it is one of my favorite S&W revolvers ever...a real gem of gunsmithing - no one makes anything as smooth these days.

mark
    Another armed Liberal veteran.

(Bucks County)

I did. Endshake is good, timing needs some help. But I knew that going into it fortunately. I know what you mean about the turn line, but the endshake is okay. This gun is pretty old so it could have already been worked on. All of the screw heads showed signs of being turned before I had gotten to it.

-Zach

Quote Originally Posted by Pizza Bob View Post
    If you picked this gun up at the Bristol show, which I highly suspect you did, you want to make sure that you have a qualified smith check the timing and end shake. The turn line on that cylinder looked like some kind of wave pattern on an ocilliscope. As others have said, the rifling is probably GTG - you'd be hard pressed to wear it out with .45 ACP. Good luck.

Adios,

Pizza Bob