Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default First time Shotgun buyer...need some suggestions

Hey all, I'm new to the shotgun world. I was just at my local gun shop today and I have been really wanting a shotgun for home defense for a while. They had a Maverick 88 12ga for $285 with 2 boxes of ammo out the door price. I was also told it WAS a Mossberg 500, now I know it is not. Is this a good price or can I find it cheaper ??? It is brand new, holds 8 rounds +1 in the barrel, sporter stock comes installed with an optional pistol grip (no stock) that I can replace the sporter stock with, just has a bead sight and IIRC a 20" barrel although it could have been an 18" barrel, not 100% on this. I really like the after-market folding stock with pistol grip but don't know how good they are or if they're reliable and durable.

Also is this a good, reliable, durable shotgun ?? From my understand it is still made by Mossberg...as a less expensive alternative, is that correct ?? Also does that mean it would pass the same US Army test that the actual Mossberg 500 was the only one to pass ??

I don't know much about shotguns at all. I know of the Remington 870, Mossburg 500 and 590 but that's about it, and I don't know anything really about them or what's best for what scenario.

Any and all help is MUCH appreciated, I asked if the deal for $285 with 2 boxes of ammo out the door price could be held until this Tuesday, they said ok so I have until Tuesday to figure this out. Thanks in advance.

P.S. I COULD also have the option of possibly buying a SPAS-12 shotgun from a friends dad. IF he is willing to part with it the price would be like $600, is this better ??

NOTE: Now knowing that is was the Maverick 88 I was looking at they also had a Mossberg 500 there, with just a pistol grip and it was also used IIRC. I believe the price was like $350 or $400. I do not know how much it has been fired, it seemed to be in VERY good condition though.
    Last edited by PhilaShooter; May 30th, 2010 at 02:24 AM.
    When ALL else fails...the AK won't !! Emotions...??? emotions are for people who CARE !!!

(Lebanon County)

Default Re: First time Shotgun buyer...need some suggestions

The 590 has been used by the military for years (mainly the US Navy and US Marine Corps). You will be able to find a host of after market parts for it. The only bad thing I can see with the Mossberg is the recoil. I have heard that the Mossberg has one of the hardest recoils of any Tactical Shotgun around.

Also, you never made mention.....is this gun new or used? If used do you have any idea approx how many rounds have been fired? There is a lot to take into account when knowing if the price mentioned above is a "good deal". If it's used I would seriously take a look to make sure the internals are all in good working order. Those tactical shotguns have been known to take a lot of abuse depending on where they came from.

Any other info that you could provide will greatly help with answering the questions you posted.
    Last edited by rscheckler; May 30th, 2010 at 12:03 AM.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by rscheckler View Post
    The 590 has been used by the military for years (mainly the US Navy and US Marine Corps). You will be able to find a host of after market parts for it. The only bad thing I can see with the Mossberg is the recoil. I have heard that the Mossberg has one of the hardest recoils of any Tactical Shotgun around.

EDIT: Also, you never made mention.....is this gun new or used? If used do you have any idea approx how many rounds have been fired? There is a lot to take into account when knowing if the price mentioned above is a "good deal".
    Hey sorry I was wrong about which one it was, called my buddy to double check. It was actually the Mossburg 500 Maverick with just a bead front sight and it was also brand new.

What about the SPAZ then ? Better recoil, reliability, durability ?
    When ALL else fails...the AK won't !! Emotions...??? emotions are for people who CARE !!!

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by PhilaShooter View Post
    Hey sorry I was wrong about which one it was, called my buddy to double check. It was actually the Mossburg 500 Maverick with just a bead front sight and it was also brand new.

What about the SPAZ then ? Better recoil, reliability, durability ?
    I'm a bit confused....I am familiar with the Mossburg 500. Very nice gun. In fact its the only shotgun to pass the US Army's Mil-Spec 3443E test. What worries me about your last comment is that you followed up the Mossburg 500 title with "Maverick". Mossberg also markets a less expensive shotgun under the Maverick Arms name: the Mossberg Maverick 88, in blued finish, with synthetic stocks. Maverick and Mossberg shotguns share some similar parts, but Maverick shotguns differ in some ways, such as lacking sling swivel studs and having cross-bolt safeties instead of tang safeties. Also, the factory warranty on Maverick shotguns are limited to one year.

Also, Is the "SPAZ" that you are referring to a Franchi SPAS-12?

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by PhilaShooter View Post

EDIT: I mis-stated the shotgun it was actually the Mossburg 500 Maverick, with just a bead front sight. Also it was brand new
    I wouldn't pay more than $150 for a NEW maverick 12 guage.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Lebanon County)

Just did a quick search on a few sites for prices of the Maverick 88 which is what I'm assuming you're talking about. Most sites are showing them around $225 so those 2 boxes of ammo would need to be beyond the best damn ammo you can buy to make it worth the price you stated.

(Philadelphia County)

I'm a bit confused....I am familiar with the Mossburg 500. Very nice gun. In fact its the only shotgun to pass the US Army's Mil-Spec 3443E test. What worries me about your last comment is that you followed up the Mossburg 500 title with "Maverick". Mossberg also markets a less expensive shotgun under the Maverick Arms name: the Mossberg Maverick 88, in blued finish, with synthetic stocks. Maverick and Mossberg shotguns share some similar parts, but Maverick shotguns differ in some ways, such as lacking sling swivel studs and having cross-bolt safeties instead of tang safeties. Also, the factory warranty on Maverick shotguns are limited to one year.

Also, Is the "SPAZ" that you are referring to a Franchi SPAS-12?

Sorry I am kind of confused myself now, lol. Let me check google for some images real quick on the 2, the Mossburg 500 and the Maverick 88. I do NOT want a cheap knock off ya know. If this helps it comes with a sporter stock installed and in the box was just a pistol grip you could put on, no stock.

And yes it is a Franchi SPAS-12 with folding stock and a hook also.

(Philadelphia County)

Just did a quick search on a few sites for prices of the Maverick 88 which is what I'm assuming you're talking about. Most sites are showing them around $225 so those 2 boxes of ammo would need to be beyond the best damn ammo you can buy to make it worth the price you stated.
    Ok I just did some research on the 2. It has to be the Maverick 88, the price was $285 with the 2 boxes of ammo....I didn't see a Mossberg 500 for less than $370. Now I did see they improved the Maverick because it used to only have 1 rail and was very rough. Also says it's now Made in USA, some parts are imported from Mexico though.

Would the Maverick 88 still be as reliable as the Mossberg 500 since it's Mossberg that makes it just a less expensive version ??? Or should I get the Mossberg ?

Also if anyone has any other suggestions as to a 12ga shotgun for home defense that is inexpensive but reliable I would appreciate it.

(Philadelphia County)

Also keep in mind if I do go with the Maverick 88 for $285 it's already at the gun shop. I have seen them online so far the cheapest was $200, now with shipping and transfer fee it's gonna be close to the same maybe more.....around me places tend to charge $40-$50 for a transfer....then $30 for shipping...doesn't seem like much a diffrence and with the 2 boxes of ammo included it's like that same really. Unless I can find it for like $150 that would save me.

Also the particular model I was looking at hold 8 rounds and 1 in the barrel and IIRC I want to say a 20" barrel ??? Maybe an 18" though I'm not 100% on that.

(Lebanon County)

If I were you....I'd get the Mossberg 500 if you can. It's not that expensive and has a ton of options for rails and overall setup.

Check this:

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/adva...0&inc_subcat=1

This will give you an idea of all that is capable with this gun with parts. I'd stay away from the 88 because I've heard that they simply don't h puold up because of the way they are made...and if you are spending your hard earned cash on something especially for self defense you don't want it to fail on you.

The SPAS is a great gun as well and will def. fit your needs in this particular case but personally...the 500 gives you the best bang for your buck. No pun intended...LOL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast