Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Berks County)

Default Colt AR15A3 Stock Conversion / Upgrade Question

I bought a police trade in AR15-A3 manufactured by Colt. I want to Swap out a lot of parts and basically build it up from scratch. I'd really like to swap out the Fixed A2 for a newer stock with a battery compartment, but I'm not sure if I have to get a Commercial or Milspec Buffer model for the stock... I like the RRA Operator Kit...

Any help would be awesome, It's my first AR and I really want to do it Justice!

So any tips? Any Upgrades that you'd reccommend? Or just advice would be great...

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Colt AR15A3 Stock Conversion / Upgrade Question

Just by looking at the kits, it appears you can order either as a complete package.. ...stock, buffer, extension, etc.

Order either one you want.. I'd go the milspec if I were choosing.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Jefferson County)

BTW, are you getting the RRA fixed or M4 style?
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Quote Originally Posted by faipiper View Post
    I'd really like to swap out the Fixed A2 for a newer stock with a battery compartment, but I'm not sure if I have to get a Commercial or Milspec Buffer model for the stock...
    If your goal is to have a collapsible stock, you'll need to replace the fixed stock "buffer tube" (more properly called the receiver extension) with a collapsible type. There are both "commercial-spec" and "mil-spec" receiver extensions. Using a mil-spec receiver extension expands your options for buttstocks, and is regarded as being stronger, in theory.

Look here:

As far as collapsible stocks with battery compartments go, I'd recommend the LMT SOPMOD ($$) or the Magpul ACS ($).

(Berks County)

Knight0334 - I was thinking of getting an M4 style stock.

kcr121 - Thats a really great illustration of the differences between the two tube variations - thanks!

(Schuylkill County)

i have the magpul ACS it is really nice with the 2 top compartments and the flip door on the side.. i had a bunch the only one i could possibly like more is the magpul UBR.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by lilb93 View Post
    i have the magpul ACS it is really nice with the 2 top compartments and the flip door on the side.. i had a bunch the only one i could possibly like more is the magpul UBR.

I am also just getting into the AR platform as well. I recently purchased my first, a Stag Arms 20" barrel. Came with a Command Arms Accessories collapsable buttstock and also the battery compartment and adjustable cheek piece, I like it a lot. However Magpul is super sweet, top notch and great quality. Does anyone know anything about the CAA buttstock as far as reliability, durability ?? I prefer a cheek piece as I plan on eventually talking her out to at least 600 yards and more if she can make it.

Also came with a plastic quad rail....needless to say the original handguards went right on lol. I'm looking into quad rail free float handguards possibly, for when I take her to longer range shooting.
    When ALL else fails...the AK won't !! Emotions...??? emotions are for people who CARE !!!