Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default ACT 235 been there, done that?

I had a question regarding the legalities of actions used under act 235. 1st off, I am newly act 235 certified and understand that act 235 is pretty limited with what you can do and not do.
    My question is; a fist-fight breaks out on private property I am assigned to (alcohol involved). Being responsible to keep the property and people safe, what are my options to break this up? Is cuffing the individuals going to land me in trouble or should I just walk them out the door?. I am not certified in OC spray, baton, taser, etc... only the standard firearm, cuffs and some defense tactics.

Any other advice/knowledge/personal experiences would be appreciated. Again Im looking for true legal facts that I can apply to my job, thanks much!

Dave

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: ACT 235 been there, done that?

Those questions should have been covered and answered when you got your Act 235 Certification..........not on some internet board.

according to your replies on other posts, you obviously have some knowledge in LE, so why not help?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve in PA View Post
    Those questions should have been covered and answered when you got your Act 235 Certification..........not on some internet board.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by DAV1976 View Post
    I had a question regarding the legalities of actions used under act 235. 1st off, I am newly act 235 certified and understand that act 235 is pretty limited with what you can do and not do.
    My question is; a fist-fight breaks out on private property I am assigned to (alcohol involved). Being responsible to keep the property and people safe, what are my options to break this up? Is cuffing the individuals going to land me in trouble or should I just walk them out the door?. I am not certified in OC spray, baton, taser, etc... only the standard firearm, cuffs and some defense tactics.

Any other advice/knowledge/personal experiences would be appreciated. Again Im looking for true legal facts that I can apply to my job, thanks much!

Dave
    The extent of what you can and cannot due on duty will be governed by your employer. Each employer is different. I would talk to a supervisor and find out what your limitations are. Some places that I have worked for will not let you get involved in anyway, your just there as a visual deterrent. Some places will let you get more involved in dealing with situations. It all depends on what your employer wants.

Another thing, if you are working and are armed, you should also be certified in baton, OC and whatever your employer will allow you to carry, as this will give you several options as far as use of force goes. Most employers will cover your certifications or at least get you certified and then take it out of your paycheck.

AG

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by DAV1976 View Post
    according to your replies on other posts, you obviously have some knowledge in LE, so why not help?
    What you can or cannot do is set by your employer.

And I'll stick by my first response, this should have been covered when you got certified, rather than just taking your money and handing you a piece of paper after sitting in class for 5 days.

They should have explained, in detail....what you can or cannot do. You are going to look pretty silly by claiming you can do something because someone on the internet told you it was okay.

(Lackawanna County)

Alcohol + loonies = instant assholes.

I'd probably consider getting some taco seasoning training.
    "...a REPUBLIC, if you can keep it."

(Allegheny County)

Use of Force Continuum should of been covered in your class.

Your employer should also instruct you on this.
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

Thumbs down Re: ACT 235 been there, done that?

HOLY CRAP,You took the act 235 and passed the pysch eval,you scare the hell out of me!

(Bucks County)

Wow, some one completed the course and are still left with questions. I would think there was literature from the class, a point of contact for future reference or what I call FR.