Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Transfer question

Looking to buy a gun from a member here and he told me that he has to pay $25 for transferring a gun. What I am trying to say is this.

I buy the gun, send his FFL my FFL's papers pay for shipping and my transfer to have it registered to me but still he has to pay for a transfer.

Ever heard such a thing?

When I usually buy a gun, whether here or somewhere else online, I pay shipping and the transfer costs at my FFL. I have never heard of someone, who is selling a gun, having to pay transfer costs.

What's up with that?
    You can only get smarter by playing a smarter opponent

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Transfer question

he is wrong. He doesnt have to pay a transfer fee to sell it to you, unless he's being ripped off by his FFl...or he is an FFL himself and has to pay some sort of fee, or he's trying to rip you off...lol.

either way it doesn't add up.

(Westmoreland County)

I talked to him over the phone for about 20 minutes about his item and told him that his FFL is trying to rip him off. This is not my first gun and I never ever heard of such a transfer. The reason why I asked was......maybe some FFL's do charge and that would make it theft by deception.....which is illegal as we all know.

It would be a $82 shipping and transfer fee..............a little steep if you'd ask me. I understand the shipping fee's but never heard of a double transfer on a handgun or long gun for that matter.
    Even shipping seems to be a ripoff these days. My FFL charges me for shipment from zip to zip and others charge a $30 or $35 flat rate.

Thanks Chemical for clearing this up.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Krssteel View Post
    I talked to him over the phone for about 20 minutes about his item and told him that his FFL is trying to rip him off. This is not my first gun and I never ever heard of such a transfer. The reason why I asked was......maybe some FFL's do charge and that would make it theft by deception.....which is illegal as we all know.

It would be a $82 shipping and transfer fee..............a little steep if you'd ask me. I understand the shipping fee's but never heard of a double transfer on a handgun or long gun for that matter.
    Even shipping seems to be a ripoff these days. My FFL charges me for shipment from zip to zip and others charge a $30 or $35 flat rate.

Thanks Chemical for clearing this up.
    $82. shipping??!!!! I shipped my HK with $700.00 insurance for a total of $60.00. Holy Crap!

(Westmoreland County)

The $82 includes both transfers (of which one is not justified) and shipping.........my bad.

(Monroe County)

The $82 includes both transfers (of which one is not justified) and shipping.........my bad.
    oh , well thats ok then. lol

(Luzerne County)

If he is having a FFL ship the gun to your FFL you can expect his FFL to charge him for that service. Calling it a transfer may be the wrong term, but that is what is going on. If you sell a gun and need/want an FFL to ship it, said FFL is not going to ship your gun, to another FFL, to complete your sale that did not involve him for free....

PS: There is no "registration" in Pa.

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

(Westmoreland County)

If you sell a gun and need/want an FFL to ship it, said FFL is not going to ship your gun, to another FFL, to complete your sale that did not involve him for free....
    Probably very stupid......right? It will only chase customers away from that particular FFL.

A&S in Youngwood does not charge me for this and there shipping costs are the best out there. They calculate from zip to zip and that is what you pay.

I know there is no registration but still have to go through an FFL.

(Allegheny County)

This is actually pretty common. Like PA Patriot said, no FFL will ship for free. His time is worth money so he'll charge a bit for that plus the actual shipping.

If your receiving FFL will accept a shipment from a non-licensed individual, the seller can use UPS Next Day Air to send it to your FFL with a copy of his DL included. If he has access to UPS at work or whatever that usually isn't too pricey. But if he goes to a place like The UPS Store to have them ship it, they'll charge a handling fee on top of the actual shipping cost.

So depending on where in the country it's coming from, the seller's shipping options and the policies of both FFLs, I can see it costing a lot sometimes. As a side note, the last handgun I sold and shipped was to Oregon and it cost me $45 which was the highest I ever paid. But I shipped it myself and I have regularly scheduled UPS pickups so it could've been worse.

Probably very stupid......right? It will only chase customers away from that particular FFL.

A&S in Youngwood does not charge me for this and there shipping costs are the best out there. They calculate from zip to zip and that is what you pay.

I know there is no registration but still have to go through an FFL.
    Almost as stupid as opening a business and giving away your product for free.

How does A&S calculate shipping, and how do they ship? I know of a shop that calculates via ups/fedex but ships via usps and keeps the change.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast