Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Couple of questions in preparation for the move...

Hello:
    I had posted a few months ago regarding my relocation from Boston to Philadelphia to take a job. At that time I was in the process for applying for a LTC in Boston and when I received the news I'd be relocating decided to wait until the move to initiate the process. Now, many posted pros and cons about moving to Philadelphia and suggestions were made that I live outside the city, I sincerely appreciated all the feedback and in the end for many reasons I had to live within the city limits. Now my question is do I need an active PA LTC to purchase a pistol if my intentions are to keep it at home and only transport it to the firing range? ( while in transport the gun would be locked in the trunk of the car ). The idea would be to take home safety courses, and practice at the range while the LTC application is processed. I also would like to ask if anyone can suggest a good place to find a qualified attorney familiar with NFA trusts? Thank you very much in advance for your help!

Default Re: Couple of questions in preparation for the move...

Hi herf78... welcome to a great commonwealth of PA!

The "LTC" is an "LTCF" here... "License To Carry a Firearm".

You do not need an LTCF to purchase a firearm. You also don't need it to transport a firearm to/from specifically listed places, such as the gun shop where you just bought it, and the range, but you are right about having to have it stored in the car in a secure way during that transport.

See the firearms code here:
    http://paopencarry.org/uniform-firearms-act#subchaptera

Note the sections about transporting... bold is mine... a "place of instruction" is defined as including a firing range.

§ 6106-b-8:
    Any person while carrying a firearm which is not loaded and is in a secure wrapper from the place of purchase to his home or place of business, or to a place of repair, sale or appraisal or back to his home or place of business, or in moving from one place of abode or business to another or from his home to a vacation or recreational home or dwelling or back, or to recover stolen property under section 6111.1(b)(4) (relating to Pennsylvania State Police), or to a place of instruction intended to teach the safe handling, use or maintenance of firearms or back or to a location to which the person has been directed to relinquish firearms under 23 Pa.C.S. § 6108 (relating to relief) or back upon return of the relinquished firearm or to a licensed dealer's place of business for relinquishment pursuant to 23 Pa.C.S. § 6108.2 (relating to relinquishment for consignment sale, lawful transfer or safekeeping) or back upon return of the relinquished firearm or to a location for safekeeping pursuant to 23 Pa.C.S. § 6108.3 (relating to relinquishment to third party for safekeeping) or back upon return of the relinquished firearm.
    Tommy610, NRA Member, Romans 12:18

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by herf78 View Post
    ... Now my question is do I need an active PA LTC to purchase a pistol if my intentions are to keep it at home and only transport it to the firing range? ( while in transport the gun would be locked in the trunk of the car ). ...
    LTCF not needed to purchase or own a pistol.

Carry has the following exceptions:
    (8) Any person while carrying a firearm which is not loaded and is in a secure wrapper from the place of purchase to his home or place of business, or to a place of repair, sale or appraisal or back to his home or place of business, or in moving from one place of abode or business to another or from his home to a vacation or recreational home or dwelling or back, or to recover stolen property under section 6111.1(b)(4) (relating to Pennsylvania State Police), or to a place of instruction intended to teach the safe handling, use or maintenance of firearms or back or to a location to which the person has been directed to relinquish firearms under 23 Pa.C.S. § 6108 (relating to relief) or back upon return of the relinquished firearm or to a licensed dealer's place of business for relinquishment pursuant to 23 Pa.C.S § 6108.2 (relating to relinquishment for consignment sale, lawful transfer or safekeeping) or back upon return of the relinquished firearm or to a location for safekeeping pursuant to 23 Pa.C.S. § 6108.3 (relating to relinquishment to third party for safekeeping) or back upon return of the relinquished firearm.
    Doesn't look like target shooting is an exception, unless you're taking instruction, but that doesn't make any sense, oh wait .....ugh!

IANAL
    Kind Regards,
    ChuckS

“The will to win is important. But the will to prepare is vital.” — Joe Paterno

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by tommy610 View Post
    ...Note the sections about transporting... bold is mine... a "place of instruction" is defined as including a firing range.
    Where can I find the [legal] definition of instruction?

oh never mind
    Definitions.--
    (1) For purposes of subsection (b)(3), (4), (5), (7) and (8), the term "firearm" shall include any weapon which is designed to or may readily be converted to expel any projectile by the action of an explosive or the frame or receiver of the weapon.
    (2) As used in this section, the phrase "place of instruction" shall include any hunting club, rifle club, rifle range, pistol range, shooting range, the premises of a licensed firearms dealer or a lawful gun show or meet.
    Kind Regards,
    ChuckS

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
    Doesn't look like target shooting is an exception, unless you're taking instruction, but that doesn't make any sense, oh wait .....ugh!

IANAL
    6106-e-2:
    # As used in this section, the phrase "place of instruction" shall include any hunting club, rifle club, rifle range, pistol range, shooting range, the premises of a licensed firearms dealer or a lawful gun show or meet.
    A range is included as an exception, so that's good news.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by tommy610 View Post
    Thanks.

I haven't read the statutes recently, and I just notes the instruction section, etc.....when did these change?
    Kind Regards,
    ChuckS

thank you very much for the quick and informative replies! I will search the forum but I wanted to know if certain pistols are banned to purchase in PA?, MA has a laundry list of banned pistols ( pretty much anything you'd want to own). I have some experience with H&K and Springfield and am looking at the XDM 9mm or H&K USP compact in either .45 ACP or .40 S&W. Any suggestions between these choices, mostly for target practice and self defense. Thanks!!
    Last edited by herf78; May 27th, 2010 at 04:52 PM.

(Berks County)

Personally I like a .45 over a .40 but that is just me. I would suggest hitting a range that rents handguns when you're down here and rent a couple that you are interested in and actually fire them. What may be great for me may not work at all for you and vice versa. Welcome to the free state of Pa. where you have the choice to buy what you want as long as it is available. You want a S&W, Springfield, Glock, H&K, Dan Wesson, etc. if you can find it, you can own it.

Once you've relocated and you're interested in finding a good range post a note here. I'm sure that one, or many more, of the guys in Philly would be glad to meet you somewhere to get you moving in the right direction.
    Bill USAF 1976 - 1986, NRA Endowment, USCCA

Quote Originally Posted by herf78 View Post
    ... I wanted to know if certain pistols are banned to purchase in PA?
    No. No approved "list," no "high capacity magazine" nonsense, no "assault weapon" silliness. With a Pa ID, after a quick "PICS" background check, you pay the man and take it home with you.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
    Thanks.

I haven't read the statutes recently, and I just notes the instruction section, etc.....when did these change?
    I don't know when or if they've changed. I just went and looked at what they are now. :-)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast