Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Erie County)

Default 2 killed in Philadelphia armored car robbery

PHILADELPHIA - A robber shot and killed two armored car guards servicing an ATM outside a bank early today, authorities said. Several schools were locked down amid a massive manhunt for the gunman.

One man fatally shot the Loomis armored car guards shortly after 8 a.m. outside a Wachovia bank in Northeast Philadelphia, police Commissioner Sylvester Johnson said. Police initially said they were looking for four suspects, but Johnson said it appeared there was only one robber.

The gunman shot one guard as he was removing cash from the automated teller machine and then ran around to the other side of the armored car and shot the second guard, Johnson said.

Mark Clark, a Loomis spokesman, said a third guard, the driver, was grazed by shattered glass as the robbers tried to shoot through the armored car.

A short time later, police recovered a black duffel bag filled with cash behind the Turf Club, an off-track betting parlor directly behind the bank, said Officer Raul Malveiro, a police spokesman. Police did not have details on how it got there.

Investigators were trying to determine whether the guards, who were armed, exchanged fire with the robber, Malveiro said.

Entrances to and from the mall complex where the bank is located were shut down and police were stopping motorists leaving the area.

Several schools in the area were placed under lockdown amid a massive manhunt in the area. The mall also was shut down.

Johnson said investigators were reviewing surveillance video from the bank.
    http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/nat...0,757631.story

Yet another good reason to carry while in Philly.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: 2 killed in Philadelphia armored car robbery

thats unfortunate, this brings up a question. Lets say that you were carrying (lawfully) and were in the midst of this situation, would you legally be able to help the security guards from these robbers by opening fire on them? would it be the right thing to do as a citizen? just food for thought on this one.

(Berks County)

That's so sad, those guys were just caught off guard. My thoughts and prayers go out to everyone involved/affected by this tragedy.

rand

Quote Originally Posted by ca2pa View Post
    thats unfortunate, this brings up a question. Lets say that you were carrying (lawfully) and were in the midst of this situation, would you legally be able to help the security guards from these robbers by opening fire on them? would it be the right thing to do as a citizen? just food for thought on this one.
    I would. That's the natural, right thing to do. Key word is 'natural.' As in, Natural Law.

(Berks County)

Surprise, surprise, surprise. The "Police Commisioner" in Philly is blaming this squarely on the availability of guns in this country. I can't wait until Street(sweeper) is out of office and we never have to hear this moron again.
    Last edited by billamj; October 4th, 2007 at 02:14 PM. Reason: Corrected the idiot's title.
    Bill USAF 1976 - 1986, NRA Endowment, USCCA

(Philadelphia County)

Angry Re: 2 killed in Philadelphia armored car robbery

WELL I USE TO WORK FOR THAT COMPANY AND I KNEW THE 2 GUARDS. AND I DONT KNOW IS LEGALY YOU COULD DO THAT TO HELP THE GUARDS OUT BUT I KNOW IF SOMEONE GOT THE DROP ON ME AND SOMEONE WAS TO SHOT THE A..HOLE THEN HEY U DID A GOOD THING. BUT THE REASON I LEFT THE COMPANY IS BECAUSE OF THE RULES THAT THESE COMPANYS HAVE REGUARDING THESE TYPE SITUATIONS.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by ca2pa View Post
    I'm not going to risk getting shot by some minimum-wage, armored car guard who thinks i'm another robber. They have guns. Find some cover hope they've shot them since they last qualified for 235.

I have a feeling what killed these guys was a combination of bullets and complacency.
    Last edited by MarcS; October 4th, 2007 at 05:11 PM.

(Lancaster County)

It is just an unfortunate situation. Nothing any of us could have done about it. It sucks and I will tell you, if I seen someone robbing an armored car and I was carrying, well his ass would be dead. Just remember what goes around comes around and if you do the right thing for someone else and live to tell about it, then just maybe you will be fortunate to have the same thing bestowed upon yourself.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3339&dateline=1300221  289

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by SharpShooter88 View Post
    It is just an unfortunate situation. Nothing any of us could have done about it. It sucks and I will tell you, if I seen someone robbing an armored car and I was carrying, well his ass would be dead. Just remember what goes around comes around and if you do the right thing for someone else and live to tell about it, then just maybe you will be fortunate to have the same thing bestowed upon yourself.
    I'm wondering is it legal to help them in a situation like this? If it is, I'd probably try to help out in anyway I could because that's just the kind of person I am.

Also those guards were up in their ages, 50, 65 and 69 and that could have played a big part in what happened to them. Only God knows if they were complacent or maybe they were just truly caught by surprise.

rand

(Philadelphia County)

You only get caught by surprise if you're complacent.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast