Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910
    (Luzerne County)

Default Re: Hunting deer w/ a .50 BMG

Overkill? Maybe so, but think about this. That was "lights out" pretty quick. Better than the "sportsman" who shoot things with a rifle too small or with a bow an arrow and then have to track it until it dies a slow death or they never find it all and it all goes to waste.....
    You don't have enough guns untill you don't know how many you have.

(Chester County)

The only .50+ caliber firearms used for deer hunting should be a S&W 500 (or similar firearm), muzzleloader, or shotgun slugs (I think a 12 gauge = about a .72 caliber, and 20 gauge = .615-ish).

(Adams County)

I know some guys that shoot deer with a .50 browning. they don't shoot a less then 1000 yards. one I know got one a 2300 yards. they shoot from one mountain top to the other in potter co.

Wow if you play that video real slow at the 59 second mark you can see the Blood and Guts fly! That Deer didn't feel a thing. It appears they intended to Butcher the Deer, I hope they did.
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

Depends on the bullet choice (expansion in medium game) and distance. My friend and I both hunted with our 338 LM's this year. He used a 250grain SMK where I had swapped to a 300grain SMK as my research told me the expansion wasn't going to be reliable with the 250's for the ranges I was shooting. His argument was it's a 250grain bullet who cares if it expands. They might have been better bullets out there, but this is what we started to work up as hand loaders and the buying panic shorten our options.

We both shot deer this year, mine was at 510 yards and never flinched. Dead on the spot. His was at a similar distance and ran. The wound clotted up quickly, and they lost the blood trail. The deer was recovered days later more than 1/2 a mile from where it was shot and found to have a clean pass through just missing the vitals. His round did not expand. My deer had a hole the size of a softball on the exit, so clean it was like someone cut out the ribs and all with a razor blade. The entire broadside was blood clots from the belly up into the tenderloins, into the shoulder and across all the flank steak.

Lesson for us, was confirming that bullet choice can be critical for the game you are hunting even when you start stepping up calibers. Now if this applies to 50 BMG, I couldn't tell you first hand.
    "If guns cause crime then all of mine are defective." -Ted Nugent

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by gummy jones View Post
    I'm suprised the 50 BMG did that to the deer. I thought the weight of the bullet would just cause it to poke a whole in and out. Thinking the deers body wouldnt be enough for the round to deliver that much energy. I was wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by disturbed View Post
    I'm suprised the 50 BMG did that to the deer. I thought the weight of the bullet would just cause it to poke a whole in and out. Thinking the deers body wouldnt be enough for the round to deliver that much energy. I was wrong.
    Did that Video Disturb you?
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910