Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Looking at an Enfield...

Classic arms has some great looking 303 Enfields. My Mosin has given me a taste for shooting powerful/affordable milsurplus bolt action rifles at the range that use cheap ammo. I like the extra magazine capacity of the Enfield. For those of you that shoot them, how are they? How does the 303 round compare to...say....the 7.62x54R? Is the 303 ammo as readily available and cheap as 8mm and 7.62x54R ammo? I'm torn between pursing an Enfield or a Mauser as my next milsurplus cannon.

(Schuylkill County)

Default Re: Looking at an Enfield...

IIRC, .303 was hovering average $15-20(per20) range last time I saw. Occasionally, there's sales when you can get it for around $12 or so per 20. Best bet is probably to reload if you go with the .303....

I don't have one, but the one I shot was a great shooter. I love Mausers all the same, but you shouldn't be disappointed with the Enfield.

That's about all the info I can offer.
    III%

Thanks for the info. That's what I've suspected from looking at online prices so far...the 303 appears to be a relatively "pricey" milsurplus shooter.

(Perry County)

Enfields are excellent bolt action battle rifles, perhaps the best of the bolt guns that actually saw considerable action.

However, they have (at least for now) exhausted the cheap surplus ammo. I reload for mine and when I can get pulled bullets from the Moisin they are cheap to reload. Right now I can't find a supply of the pulled bullets and am suffering the anxiety of spending more money for ammo.

As an interesting side note should you wish to enter bolt gun tactical matches the Enfield is very good; the 10 round mag gives you a head start, the 5 round stripper clips work well, and the bolt is very fast, (for a bolt gun).

(Allegheny County)

I highly recommend buying an Enfield since they're so much fun to shoot. Great sights, slick action, manageable recoil, and a nice piece of history. But like the others have mentioned, ammo is kind of a pain. Virtually non-existent locally, so online is the way to go. I can usually get new Prvi for under $14/box of 20 rounds plus shipping but that's waaaay more than it costs to shoot a Mosin obviously. Still, I stock up when it's on sale and it's not that big of a deal. I love my Savage #4 MK1...