Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Fox 29 Philly / Florida Loophole Story

Even the, supposed, conservative media can't resist taking a shot at gun owners. Fox Philly just did a piece on the FL Loophole - Philly residents availing themselves of FL CCW permits. What a slanted POS this story was. I was moved to voice my opinion, for all the good that will do - here is what I sent them...

Do you people ever research your stories, or do you just act as a mouthpiece for the Philadelphia Police Department, regurgitating any half-truths and distortions they want to use to promote their agenda, be it right or wrong?

Are you aware that the requirements to obtain a Florida concealed weapons permit are more stringent, and more costly, than those of Pennsylvania?

Do you know the reason Philadelphia residents, in particular, use the Florida permit route is because the Philadelphia Police Dept. (the issuing authority for the city of Philadelphia – in other PA locales, the county sheriff is the issuing authority) routinely exceed their authority, in violation of the PA UFA (Uniform Firearms Act), in denying permits for reasons that are not specified (thus not legal) under the issuance mandates in the act?

Do you know that if a person is found to have a criminal record, they are denied a permit under both Florida and Pennsylvania law? Philadelphia denies permits to those with unpaid parking tickets, child support arrears and those that have had a gun stolen in the past – none of these conditions are statutorily supported.

The issuing authority in Florida (The Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services, Division of Licensing – Charles H. Bronson, Commissioner) has already addressed this issue with the Philadelphia Police Department. The guilty parties here are not the Philadelphia citizens that avail themselves of the Florida permitting process, but the Philadelphia Police Department who exceed their authority and treat gun owners as second-class citizens.

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    NRA Benefactor Member

Thumbs up Re: Fox 29 Philly / Florida Loophole Story

Well written response.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Fox 29 Philly / Florida Loophole Story

Dear Rep. Bryan Lentz, (D-Delaware),
    I want to applaud your efforts to rid Pennsylvania of the "loophole" that allows people to carry guns on an out-of-state license. We need more legislators like you.
    However, I would like to turn your attention to another, in my opinion, more pressing matter. That is, I would urge you to address another problem we have in Pennsylvania ... allowing drivers navigating our roadways on drivers licenses issued in other states. Far too often have I witnessed motorists in my corner of the state driving recklessly, causing accidents, harming others. And what do these people have in common ... they have New Jersey license plates, meaning they have drivers licenses from the Garden State.
    I implore you, please take the necessary steps in Harrisburg to ensure that these people licensed to operate a motor vehicle in New Jersey no longer are legally allowed to drive on our roads. They are causing havoc, and are a danger to society.
    This loophole we have has allowed out-of-state drivers to use our roadways any way they see fit. Far too often, these thousand-pound deadly machines called motor vehicles have been used to commit crimes from Philadelphia to Erie. They are killing our children, and something needs to be done.
    I say it's time to put a stop to this practice of honoring drivers licenses issued in other states.
    Please take the time to put this critical issue on your legislative agenda. Pennsylvania would be a much safer place if lawmakers such as yourself take the steps to ensure only those licensed to drive in Pennsylvania can take to our roadways.
    Thank you for your attention.
    Sincerely,
    John Q. Public

(Lackawanna County)

Oh you think its funny, but you wait until that very same bill comes to our attention.

Good Job!

/sarcasm
    Millions for defense, Not one cent for tribute!

(Delaware County)

Sorry, couldn't resist. I get sarcastic with lack of sleep.

(Chester County)

Well said, All!

(Bucks County)

FOX Philly is not the least bit conservative.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pizza Bob View Post
    Even the, supposed, conservative media can't resist taking a shot at gun owners. Fox Philly just did a piece on the FL Loophole - Philly residents availing themselves of FL CCW permits. What a slanted POS this story was. I was moved to voice my opinion, for all the good that will do - here is what I sent them...

Did this come up again? Or is this a response you sent went it came out in February?

Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    Did this come up again? Or is this a response you sent went it came out in February?
    There was a piece on the news last night (5/25) about the "Florida Loophole". Different police spokesperson (not King) - same old crap.
    NRA Benefactor Member

(Lehigh County)

Yesterday we reminded the people pushing this nonsense that we are active, that we are involved, and that we are opposed to them and will not compromise here.

The most disgusting thing was listening to the people behind this saying that they were "pro second amendment" and that this bill was "about criminals" and "pro cop". They will tout this crap, and the local liberal media will follow them hand-in-hand, but as long as we all stay strong on this issue (writing legislature's to oppose this bill, for example) we can easily shoot things like this nonsense down, even if we have to do it time and time again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast