Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Forgot your voice recorder?

So you forgot your voice recorder or maybe you don't have one, what do you do when stopped by a LEO? I've read where others ask if they can pull out a pen and pad and take notes. Why not pull out your cell phone? I got to thinking and tried the following:

Go to your own voicemail
    Choose the option to create a voicemail
    Enter your own phone number as recipient
    Wait for beep and leave your message

I left a 4 minute long message (talking, radio, ect) via speaker phone. The minute I hung up I had a new VM - I listened to it and the quality was top notch. This seems like a handy tool as I always have my cell phone.

Here is my one hang up - is there a way to get the VM off your phone and into some digital media? If it's not something the user can do - would the carrier comply with providing it to the owner if necessary?

ps - I use Verizon - and the phone is a Samsung Alias II (it does not have a voice recorder built in).
    Last edited by keystoneman 85; May 25th, 2010 at 04:31 PM. Reason: details on phone

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Forgot your voice recorder?

why not just use the voice recorder option on the cell phone? most modern phones have some sort of voice recording option.
    Peace, Prosperity, and Liberty

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by andrewjs18 View Post
    why not just use the voice recorder option on the cell phone? most modern phones have some sort of voice recording option.
    Good question: I use a Samsung Alias II and it does not have that option, wish it did. I should have added that to my post. For users without Voice Recorder option on their cell.

(Delaware County)

PA Patriot used to have a phone number set up where people could dial it and record police encounters..not sure if it's still available or not.
    Peace, Prosperity, and Liberty

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by andrewjs18 View Post
    +1

Some, like my Palm Centro have a dedicated button for the voice recorder. I also use it for recording non LEO related information, like where I parked my car.

(Adams County)

There are small devices used for recording standard analog telephones that also have adapters for recording cell phones. Basically, its a micro digital recorder with an analog input on one end and a little sticky piece that goes over the speaker of your cell phone.

Other than that you'll have to get creative, such as playing your voice mail on speakerphone in front of your PC microphone and use your PC to record it. That will probably degrade the quality a bit but should still be audible.

If you need more detailed help PM me, I'm a telecom guy by trade and can help you figure something out.

My final 2 cents, maybe by one of the "spy" voice recording pens or something like that
    Porsche, there is no substitute

My MP3 player (Sansa e260) has one-touch voice record via a button on the side. It's very handy, and I keep it with me at all times. I am frequently harassed by police while bicycling, so I figure it's a good thing to have.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by jhbenson4 View Post
    There are small devices used for recording standard analog telephones that also have adapters for recording cell phones. Basically, its a micro digital recorder with an analog input on one end and a little sticky piece that goes over the speaker of your cell phone.

Other than that you'll have to get creative, such as playing your voice mail on speakerphone in front of your PC microphone and use your PC to record it. That will probably degrade the quality a bit but should still be audible.

If you need more detailed help PM me, I'm a telecom guy by trade and can help you figure something out.

My final 2 cents, maybe by one of the "spy" voice recording pens or something like that
    Going the voicmail route. If your phone has a plug for a wired ear piece you can get a 1/8" male to male cable and plug your cell phone directly into the mic input on your PC.

If you have a voice recorder function in your phone the files on all phones are stored in some type of digital audio format. Most modern cell phones (not just smartphones) have some type of PC interface usually connecting via USB. Most of the time all you need is a $10 cable to get information like voice recordings off your phone.

Once on the PC these files can be converted into a standard audio CD in case they needed to be played easily in court with zero loss in quality.
    Last edited by QuackXP; May 25th, 2010 at 09:59 PM.

Suck man my phone only records up to a min on both the voice mail function & the sound record function .. BOOO!!!

Can anyone post a link to a Cheap,small, But good Voice recorder... My EDC system cant take much more but I probably should get on for when I OC..
    "Emergency's seldom favor the unprepared"

(Adams County)

I have a hot key on my blackberry set up. I have a big memory card in it. it will also do video.

Also my daughter's MP3 player Sandisk Sansa has a voice recorder and plays very well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast