Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Washington County)

Default Vacation to NC next week

We are going on Vacation with the fiancee and her family next week to Nags Head NC and I looked up and NC has reciprocity with PA I was just going to take my 5 shot snub with FMJ because I will be travailing though MD for a small part of the trip. I plan on locking it up in a travel box in the back in a suitcase with ammo in a separate suitcase. Is there anything else I should be aware of in NC or for the drive down. Such as have to if stopped inform or so on. I am considered leaving it at home but I do not go anywhere with out it here and think my whole trip would be more pleasant with that small peace of mind.

Any help would be much appreciated.

(Warren County)

Default Re: Vacation to NC next week

I recently flew out to NC for a business trip (not the NRA convention, unfortunately). Brought my gun in my checked luggage and had my photocopied PA LTCF. No trouble, obviously.

My only suggestion is to not step foot into South Carolina, because PA is NOT reciprocal, but you didn't mention it, so I don't assume you will.

(Washington County)

yea no plans to go to SC

Take a look at each state along the way on www.handgunlaw.us. Avoid Maryland if you can (should be easy from your part of the state), but if not go by the Federal rules. Watch out for restaurants that serve alcohol in VA -- not legal until July 1 unless you open carry. Hollow points are only an issue in NJ, and hopefully you won't get that lost.

You'll find NC surprisingly carry-UNfriendly compared with PA. The list of places where you can't carry is long and includes any place that charges admission and any place that serves alcohol. Pretty similar to Ohio, actually.
    Last edited by donm; May 25th, 2010 at 04:58 PM.

(Cambria County)

Check he regs yourself to be sure. Ultimately, you are responsible for proper compliance with the law.

That being said, you have a duty to inform LEOs that you are armed if they stop you. And the big one is that you cannot carry in an establishment that serves alcohol. That is a big one because NC has very different liquor laws than PA and that being the case, most places in NC that serve food also serve alcohol.

OC is a whole other can of worms. I suspect that if you were planning that, you would have mentioned it, so I won't go further than to say that I probably would not OC there if I was just visiting.

(Monroe County)

Some big changes from PA laws is you are REQUIRED to inform the LEO and show lic when CCing if pulled over.
    No carry in any form in bars and restrants that serve and in state parks.

Check out the NC atty gen office's site.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff