Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default In your opinion, is the NRA an effective organization?

Even while Bush was President and the Republicans were in control, the most the NRA managed to do was repeal the Clinton era assault weapons ban by convincing Bush to let it sunset. They didn't get him to actively repeal it earlier, they didn't repeal any of the import bans from prior administrations, the BATF was not reformed, etc. In your opinion, do you think the NRA is a truly effective gun lobby organization? Or is it just a business that feeds on the money of its members? I don't know, maybe there is something big that I really missed in the past few years. But it doesn't seem like they have had that many pro-gun victories (when you look at all the bans the antis have managed to pass. I'm interested in hearing your opinions.

(Dauphin County)

Default Re: In your opinion, is the NRA an effective organization?

Yes, the NRA is an effective organization.

With the NRA's help, we have received the UFA, NFA, and GCA, and they have been effective foundations by which to continue the usurpations and abuses of our rights. I don't think Brady or Ceasefire can attest to even those kinds of victories.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by MDJschool View Post

With the NRA's help, we have received the UFA, NFA, and GCA, and they have been effective foundations by which to continue the usurpations and abuses of our rights. I don't think Brady or Ceasefire can attest to even those kinds of victories.
    Yes, very effective!

2A: "Shall not be infringed"

Contemporary Quotes and thinking:

Thomas Jefferson: "The Constitution of most of our states (and of the United States) assert that all power is inherent in the people; that they may exercise it by themselves; that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed."

Samual Adams: "The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." (Convention of the Commonwealth of Mass., 86-87, date still being sought)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
    --George Washington

James Madison: "Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms." (Federalist Paper #46)

Laws that forbid the carrying of arms....disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed one.- Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria, Criminologist 1764.

I am a member of the NRA but find it amazing that so many jump up and say "Yes, the NRA is effective" when we have handgun bans in certain cities, magazine limits, a need for a special ID to even **hold** a firearm in places like NJ, and even bans on types of ammo. If The Founders could make the leap from when they lived until today without knowing any history of the progression of gun laws, I am certain they would say that any gun rights group has been a miserable failure. We should not be cheering when people in places like DC get the right to own guns.....this is spelled out in a most unambiguous manner in the 2A. That would be like cheering if someone said you had the right to vote. Amazingly, many people here will do just that.

I wish the NRA would spend the money it spends on mailing me things asking for money to fight for gun rights. IMO, the NRA is not nearly as effective as it could be, but more importantly, **should** be.

The 2A could not be more unambiguous, yet we have 22,000 gun laws in this nation which seriously and substantially impede the God-given rights of people to keep and bear arms. I am an NRA member, but I will not be jumping up and down until most gun laws are repealed. Sadly, this will never happen, as the NRA simply goes along with things which are clearly unconstitutional, like GCA68.

An NRA member, but not their biggest fan.

(Lehigh County)

What is the UFA, NFA, and GCA?

Quote Originally Posted by Kramer View Post
    Yes, very effective!
    If it's so effective, then why didn't they get a lot more pro-gun stuff passed during Bush's term (like repealing the import bans, reforming the BATF, etc)?

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by etep513 View Post
    What is the UFA, NFA, and GCA?

If it's so effective, then why didn't they get a lot more pro-gun stuff passed during Bush's term (like repealing the import bans, reforming the BATF, etc)?
    You totally missed the dripping sarcasm in his post.

He thinks the NRA was effective in getting us more restrictions like the PA Uniform Firearms Act...
    FNX-9 Two-tone

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by briantheshooter View Post
    I wish the NRA would spend the money it spends on mailing me things asking for money to fight for gun rights. IMO, the NRA is not nearly as effective as it could be, but more importantly, **should** be.
    This was one reason I dropped my membership, albeit a small one. I realize they have to raise money, but geez, I was getting stuff 2-3 times per week it seemed.

The main reason I dropped was when they backed Murtha after he called the Haditha Marines "murderers". Of course the NRA has to promote pro-gun politicians, but I couldn't square giving my money to an organization that supported a guy like Murtha... a guy I despised on every level except his 2A stance. It just didn't work for me to keep giving them money.

Now all that said, I still think they're somewhat effective in the sense that politicians are afraid of NRA members as a voting block. I think we'd be far worse off without them. If they'd at least cut back on the constant begging, I'd probably join again.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by thebearpack View Post
    This was one reason I dropped my membership, albeit a small one. I realize they have to raise money, but geez, I was getting stuff 2-3 times per week it seemed.

The main reason I dropped was when they backed Murtha after he called the Haditha Marines "murderers". Of course the NRA has to promote pro-gun politicians, but I couldn't square giving my money to an organization that supported a guy like Murtha... a guy I despised on every level except his 2A stance. It just didn't work for me to keep giving them money.

Now all that said, I still think they're somewhat effective in the sense that politicians are afraid of NRA members as a voting block. I think we'd be far worse off without them. If they'd at least cut back on the constant begging, I'd probably join again.
    Q: How can I reduce the amount of mail I receive from the NRA?
    A: Simply email us at membership@nrahq.org or dial 800-NRA-3888 and request to be placed on the "Do Not Promote" list. This will significantly reduce the amount of mail you receive without affecting important mailings, magazine service, or your membership renewal

https://www.nramemberservices.org/faq.asp

Way reduced the amount of mail I get.

(Lancaster County)

How about getting rid of the damn batfe all together.Such a worthless as shit organization never did anything good for anyone.Such wonderful track record too,Waco,ruby ridge,numerous peoples lives ruined because of a gun malfunctioning.
    Gott mit uns

(Bucks County)

Yes, me, you, members of the NRA are effective.

Yes at the Federal level we are effective!!!

Yes at the state level we are effective!!!

We are the people of the NRA. We as members vote, write, email, call members in office all around the country to show them the power of a group.

Alone we are but one person shouting on deaf ears.

As ONE collective unit we are an earthquake at their feet.

Problems arise when people think the NRA does everything for them. This is an OBAMA mentality. Everything will be done for me, not by me.

We as NRA members have to fight the fight and show the Nation we as NRA members make the changes and uphold the 2A.

I love it when they say all the NRA did was this or that. DO YOU THINK WITH OUT THE NRA IT WOULD HAVE BEEN DONE?

Rome was not built in a day and it took a long time for the anti gun people to get the gun control laws passed. It will take just as long if not longer for FACTUAL, EDUCATIONAL, information to reach those ignorant about firearms.

YES, we as the NRA are an effective organization.

Do not be divided. PRO GUN GROUPS ARE NEEDED. We must remain as one.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast