Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Luzerne County)

Post My Letter Supporting HB40

Dear Representative,

I am writing to you today to implore you to support HB40, and to oppose HB1043, HB1044, and HB1045 respectively!
    As a law abiding, firearm carrying citizen, all too often the real threat to my safety is not within the confines of my home, it is when I am NOT home that the need to have to defend myself, my family, and or my friends, while out in public.

With crime in general on the rise, and the size of most local law enforcement agencies decreasing due to diminishing State and Federal funding, the ability of Law Enforcement to be there when they are needed, also diminishes as well. For example, recently an off duty police officer, was beaten severely for simply asking someone to move their vehicle so he could leave a pizzeria here in Hazleton. In the time it took for the police department to respond, which the off duty officer is a member of, those involved in the officers beating, local news reported their were a total of six aggressors involved, all but one, the primary assailant, had left the scene and to date have not been taken into custody. Had I, or any other lawfully armed citizen intervened on behalf of the person being beaten, and drawn a firearm in the process, under the current law, would have faced arrest, our weapon, and any others we may own, as well as our right and PRIVELEDGE, to carry a firearm, would be gone forever.

Furthermore, those involved in violent criminal activity could care less with regard to the law, and life, of the person they are committing violent crimes against, including members of law enforcement, on duty or not. Placing restrictions on the law abiding citizenry as to what type of firearm they can purchase, carry, and apply to thwart a violent assault will only create a greater danger to the general public, because as I said previously, those involved in violent criminal activity could care less.

Also, I have faith and trust the established system currently in place, for ensuring that those that should not be able to purchase a firearm, are not able to. The Pennsylvania State Police, in cooperation with the County Sheriff, and Municipal Law Enforcement agencies throughout the Commonwealth, not only do an excellent job, and have a proven tract record at doing a great job ensuring that only law abiding citizens are able to purchase, possess, and carry a firearm in the Commonwealth. To create and implement a similar system, would not only add to the financial burden of the Commonwealth, it would also be a duplication of services that has already proven excellence in its performance.

In closing, I ask you to put yourself in any one of, or all of the above situations with regard to a violent crime. If you were being beaten by six men, would you want a lawfully armed citizen intervening on your behalf, would you want that citizen to be limited as to what type of firearm he is able to protect you with, and finally, do you as a citizen really want to incur an additional financial burden for a system to replace the one currently in place that has, and will continue to perform excellently?

Again, please SUPPORT HB40, and OPPOSE HB1043, HB1044, and HB1045 respectively!

Respectfully,

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: My Letter Supporting HB40

Great letter.

I tweeted and emailed.

Jim

(Luzerne County)

Unhappy Re: My Letter Supporting HB40

Unfortunately two of the Reps, Drucker & Pallone, deleted it without even opening it. I'm not sure where they are from or their position on the Bills, but at least they could have read it...Go figure..

(Washington County)

Here is mine, sent out yesterday:

I am writing today to ask that your vote be cast in favor of House Bill 40. My family has spent time in discussion about this and similar matters, and we agree that this would protect families who have had a grave decision of using justifiable force thrust upon them by a criminal. The choice of defending yourself and your family should not be blurred by the fear of civil and criminal persecution when using the tools our constitution has provided, in accordance to the law.

I would also ask that you vote down House bill 1043, as this does nothing but add more government to this commonwealth, as well as empower the Attorney general to make decisions of what constitutes trafficking. this is something that our state treasury nor our liberties can afford.

I ask that you vote no on House bill 1044, which would erase the preemption clause of our laws and allow individual communities to make their own laws. A person could become a criminal, by the simple act of traveling down the street with a lawfully owned and used firearm.

And finally, please vote no on House bill 1045, as this is nothing than a waste of yours and my time. Assault Weapons are defined as fully automatic weapons, which are already highly regulated in a stagnate civilian supply, and are not the firearms mentioned in this bill. Setting aside Article 21 of the commonwealth constitution, "The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned." , this bill would outlaw cosmetic features of rifles used in many sports, and in other states, lawful and safe hunting.

We have no need of new restrictive gun laws here in the commonwealth, only laws that protect the people from unjust persecution. We need laws that punish actual criminals for the crime they committed, not make criminals out of honest taxpayers.

Thank you for your time. I hope that you will think on this and vote in the correct, constitutional, manner.

Sincerely,
    Bryan A Spiegel

(Warren County)

Quote Originally Posted by PaMedic352 View Post
    Unfortunately two of the Reps, Drucker & Pallone, deleted it without even opening it. I'm not sure where they are from or their position on the Bills, but at least they could have read it...Go figure..
    Were you relying on a read receipt? That's not foolproof - it can be disabled or ignored.