Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default M4 folding rear site with stock front site?

Are after market folding rear sites compatible with the stock fixed front sites, or would I need to get the corresponding after market front sites??

Default Re: M4 folding rear site with stock front site?

Quote Originally Posted by 229Mick View Post
    Are after market folding rear sites compatible with the stock fixed front sites, or would I need to get the corresponding after market front sites??
    Try Troy Industries.
    http://store.troyind.com/BattleSights_s/3.htm
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

(Centre County)

i used some elcheapo folding rear with stock front site, and it works fine...

(I could have spent $150+ on folding buckup rear, but then it is a backup sight to my Aimpoint after all...)
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by 229Mick View Post
    Yes, as long as the manufacturer paired an F marked height FSP with a flat-top upper (do not assume they have, there are plenty which don't bother) any quality rear AR BUIS should work fine.
    Warning: I may not read responses to OP before posting

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Legion_Prime View Post
    Yes, as long as the manufacturer paired an F marked height FSP with a flat-top upper (do not assume they have, there are plenty which don't bother) any quality rear AR BUIS should work fine.

How can you tell if they did this or not ? I have a Stag Arms flat top, with the removable carry handle. I wanted to use a Bushnell Trophy and get a flip up rear sight as my back up in case batteries died or it broke somehow. Does Stag Arms pair an F marked height FSP with there flat-top uppers do you know ?? Or would I have to contact them to find that out ?
    When ALL else fails...the AK won't !! Emotions...??? emotions are for people who CARE !!!

Quote Originally Posted by PhilaShooter View Post
    How can you tell if they did this or not ? I have a Stag Arms flat top, with the removable carry handle. I wanted to use a Bushnell Trophy and get a flip up rear sight as my back up in case batteries died or it broke somehow. Does Stag Arms pair an F marked height FSP with there flat-top uppers do you know ?? Or would I have to contact them to find that out ?
    There will be an "F" stamped on the left side of the front sight post, on the brace running parallel to the barrel. Yours may be different, but it'll be there someplace.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by IronButt View Post
    There will be an "F" stamped on the left side of the front sight post, on the brace running parallel to the barrel. Yours may be different, but it'll be there someplace.

Awesome, Thanks. I just checked and there is an "F" stamped right where you said. That's nice to know now all I have to do is purchase a flip-up rear sight and she's good to go.

Also, does anyone know if they make an attachment rail I could maybe bolt on to the factory original handguards ? I noticed the holes running along the top and bottom of the handguards is there maybe a rail you can bolt on through them ?? The reason I ask is because with the Bushnell Trophy there won't be enough room for a rear sight to flip-up. I was thinking I could maybe get a small 4" rail and bolt it at the very end of the handguard so I can be able to use the rear sight if needed. If they do have these are they sturdy, do they work well ?
    When ALL else fails...the AK won't !! Emotions...??? emotions are for people who CARE !!!

(Luzerne County)

Flattop receivers should have (F) marked (flattop) FSB's. Please note the "should" part. I know that Bushmaster does not use F marked FSB's on their flattop carbines. It's not a huge deal though. Usually it's just a matter of cranking up the front sight post a few more turns. I forget the height difference but it is pretty small. If needed, Bushmaster does sell a front sight post that is lightly taller to compensate. FYI.

Those hand guards are not secure enough to mount a scope. You'll never hold a zero. There are risers, extensions, etc. to assist mounting optics further forward but most raise the optic enough that cheek weld is impossible.

Your best option would be to get a Larue or an American Defense mount but those cost bucks. I know there are other options out there, a surf through MidwayUSA, Brownells, Rock Rivers web site, etc. should turn up something that may work. Check out SWFA as they have some killer deals sometimes.

Maybe this?

http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.c...ategory_id=385

SWFA has this combo. I don't know if it's above your spending level but it should clear a rear buis

http://swfa.com/Millett-1-4x24-DMS-P...bo-P42148.aspx

I have the Millett scope on an American Defense mount and it clears a Troy flip up rear buis perfectly.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Watchman View Post
    Flattop receivers should have (F) marked (flattop) FSB's. Please note the "should" part. I know that Bushmaster does not use F marked FSB's on their flattop carbines. It's not a huge deal though. Usually it's just a matter of cranking up the front sight post a few more turns. I forget the height difference but it is pretty small. If needed, Bushmaster does sell a front sight post that is lightly taller to compensate. FYI.

Those hand guards are not secure enough to mount a scope. You'll never hold a zero. There are risers, extensions, etc. to assist mounting optics further forward but most raise the optic enough that cheek weld is impossible.

Your best option would be to get a Larue or an American Defense mount but those cost bucks. I know there are other options out there, a surf through MidwayUSA, Brownells, Rock Rivers web site, etc. should turn up something that may work. Check out SWFA as they have some killer deals sometimes.

Maybe this?

http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.c...ategory_id=385

SWFA has this combo. I don't know if it's above your spending level but it should clear a rear buis

http://swfa.com/Millett-1-4x24-DMS-P...bo-P42148.aspx

I have the Millett scope on an American Defense mount and it clears a Troy flip up rear buis perfectly.

The only problem is the Bushnell Trohpy has a mount already on the scope itself, it's all one piece, the mount and scope, so I can't take the mount off
    They would most likely do the trick prefectly if I used a regular scope....so if I have to I can go that route but would rather not buy another scope as I already have this one.

I am thinking about the risers that you mentioned though....if I could get like a 6" or 8" riser and have it go on the front end of the flat-top and hang over the handguards slightly then that should give me enough room to mount a flip-up rear sight. The rifle came with a Command Arms Accessories 6 position collapsing stock and the adjustable cheek piece so if the scope sits a bit higher I think I'll be ok. The only problem now is will it still coinsign with the front sight...?? Even if not as long as I can see the iron sights through the scope so if something went wrong with the scope I wouldn't have to take it off then I can live with that.

The rifle also came with a quad rail, not sure what make though, it is plastic. I COULD use the quad rail to mount the scope right before the flat-top but would much rather prefer to not use a quad rail, I want to keep it as light as possible and I like the original handguards a bit more.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by PhilaShooter View Post
    The only problem is the Bushnell Trohpy has a mount already on the scope itself, it's all one piece, the mount and scope, so I can't take the mount off
    They would most likely do the trick prefectly if I used a regular scope....so if I have to I can go that route but would rather not buy another scope as I already have this one.

I am thinking about the risers that you mentioned though....if I could get like a 6" or 8" riser and have it go on the front end of the flat-top and hang over the handguards slightly then that should give me enough room to mount a flip-up rear sight. The rifle came with a Command Arms Accessories 6 position collapsing stock and the adjustable cheek piece so if the scope sits a bit higher I think I'll be ok. The only problem now is will it still coinsign with the front sight...?? Even if not as long as I can see the iron sights through the scope so if something went wrong with the scope I wouldn't have to take it off then I can live with that.

The rifle also came with a quad rail, not sure what make though, it is plastic. I COULD use the quad rail to mount the scope right before the flat-top but would much rather prefer to not use a quad rail, I want to keep it as light as possible and I like the original handguards a bit more.
    I think it will look awkward with the riser protruding out to the front. If you combine the weight of the riser with the weight of the handguard, you may find that the total weight is comparable to a Troy MFR-C (weighs 4 oz.) quad. Consider also the MI SS series or the Troy TRX. These are tubular with only top rails.

Personally, I would do it right and make it look and function right. You won't be happy with it if you keep doing "work arounds".

Al

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast