Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (York County)

Default New Jersey Firearm Laws

My wife and I just bought a condo in South Jersey at the shore. I have done some reading online and it has confused me even more. Some of the threads I have found here have gone off topic and not really cleared me up.

I understand the specifics of transporting a firearm in NJ. That part is pretty clear to me.

Under NJ law, may I keep a handgun (or long-gun) in my condo even though I do not have a NJ Firearms purchaser ID card? Do I have to get a NJ firearms purchaser ID card? Since I do not reside in NJ, can I even get one?

Really these questions are because I would like to be able to protect my family while we are staying at the shore. I completely understand the limitations in NJ on carrying......I am unconcerned with that.

Thank you in advance. My google-fu must be weak. I need it in plain english from someone who knows.

(York County)

Default Re: New Jersey Firearm Laws

SOTR is your main man for this one!

(Bucks County)

I can not answer IF you need one question...but I can answer CAN you get one question.

NJ State Police FAQs question #2.

Purchase ID Card application

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by MadamRaven View Post
    SOTR is your main man for this one!
    I would definitely consider his opinion in aggregate since he has a lot of experience in these matters.

But, he thinks NJ has a mag limit of 10 rounds when the mag limit is 15 rounds. One of the most basic issues that people deal with regarding NJ law, and almost everybody else in NJ seems to understand it.

In other words, don't rely on one source. Not even your lawyer.

(Northampton County)

JohnUSCG,

You can get pretty good information on PA firearms laws on this forum. That is because a number of well-informed people have hashed it out in a deliberate manner, with direct citations to the law, and posted it for all to see and for peer review. Including informal guidance offered by lawyers who are experts in the subject. Of course, you still use it at your own risk.

The problem with NJ law is we don't have that type of system setup here. There are a few people here that seem to understand NJ firearms law pretty well, including SOTR. Those three or so people don't agree on it a lot of the time. The law seems a lot more convoluted than PA law, or maybe I'm just less familiar with it. To make it even more fun, NJSP routinely gives people advice about transporting handguns that members on this forum suggest would be breaking the law. I've often asked questions very similar to the one you ask here and I get a variety of responses, leaving me only confident in the answer "No." You should probably speak to an NJ lawyer who specializes in these issues or find a source/forum that has hashed-out NJ gun laws to a point that makes you confident in understanding them yourself. Just my opinion.
    Last edited by ungawa; May 23rd, 2010 at 09:00 AM.

(Bucks County)

You can have a long gun at your residence but your background must be able to pas for a njfid. Meaning you have to have a clear background. As for the pistol you can have it on your property.
    You can go to njsp website for more info. You can also call NJ state association of rifle pistol.clubs as well they have legal people. Ian from NJ and lived there all my life until 2006. I still hunt there and shoot there at our club.

http://www.state.nj.us/njsp/about/firearms.html

http://www.newjerseyhunter.com/

http://www.anjrpc.org/

The only time you may be able to transport the firearms is to your residences, or directly to and from your range.
    Last edited by thefirstndsecond; May 23rd, 2010 at 09:59 AM.

Try this site as they are very nice people over there.
    http://www.njgunforums.com/forums/index.php
    Last edited by frankie; May 23rd, 2010 at 10:30 AM.

(Chester County)

There are several gray areas in NJ law that make a direct answer difficult.

For example you can keep a longarm or handgun at your residence [2C:39-6e] even without an NJFID. What is gray is whether NJ would consider your condo, which I assume is not your primary residence, as your 'residence' for purposes of 2C:39. I would think they should but I've never seen case law on it.

Understand that you cannot possess a longarm without an NJFID or a handgun without an NJ CCW UNLESS you meet one of the professional/activity exemptions of 2C:39-6.

2C:39-5 Unlawful possession of weapons.

b.Handguns. Any person who knowingly has in his possession any handgun, including any antique handgun, without first having obtained a permit to carry the same as provided in N.J.S.2C:58-4, is guilty of a crime of the third degree if the handgun is in the nature of an air gun, spring gun or pistol or other weapon of a similar nature in which the propelling force is a spring, elastic band, carbon dioxide, compressed or other gas or vapor, air or compressed air, or is ignited by compressed air, and ejecting a bullet or missile smaller than three-eighths of an inch in diameter, with sufficient force to injure a person. Otherwise it is a crime of the second degree.

c.Rifles and shotguns. (1) Any person who knowingly has in his possession any rifle or shotgun without having first obtained a firearms purchaser identification card in accordance with the provisions of N.J.S.2C:58-3, is guilty of a crime of the third degree.

(2)Unless otherwise permitted by law, any person who knowingly has in his possession any loaded rifle or shotgun is guilty of a crime of the third degree.
    Transportation becomes problematic without the NJ licensure because it requires you to possess while off your property. There is an exemption for between residences but only for moving.

2C:39-6e.Nothing in subsections b., c. and d. of N.J.S.2C:39-5 shall be construed to prevent a person keeping or carrying about his place of business, residence, premises or other land owned or possessed by him, any firearm, or from carrying the same, in the manner specified in subsection g. of this section, from any place of purchase to his residence or place of business, between his dwelling and his place of business, between one place of business or residence and another when moving, or between his dwelling or place of business and place where such firearms are repaired, for the purpose of repair. For the purposes of this section, a place of business shall be deemed to be a fixed location.

If you had an NJFID then you have no issues with longarms since, pursuant to 2C:39-5(c), you can possess longarms anywhere in NJ (unloaded while transporting). An NJFID does not affect the handgun prohibition.

My suggestion - to be perfectly safe get the NJFID and take an NJ legal (ie no 'assault rifle') longarm when you go to the shore
    IANAL

(Bucks County)

Call this guy for a consult question if you have an issue.

Best Attorney in NJ regarding firearms.

http://www.evannappen.com/