Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Firesights...

(Bucks County)

Thumbs up Firesights...

http://www.williamsgunsight.com/

I bought a set of firesights for me and my girlfriend. I have a Marlin 925 and she has a Marlin 25.

I find the stock Marlin sights to be difficult at best since they get lost with a dark background or the wrong lighting. Additionally, they are not windage adjustable without using a drift punch which isn't too accurate a method.

I decided to give fiber optics another try after a semi negative experience with them on my Ruger Mark III Hunter. It turns out I like fiber optics, I just don't like Ruger's goofy v notched rear sight blade.

I bought the set from brownells instead of directly since the shipping was a few bucks cheaper and brownells had pictures of each set individually rather than a brief description and the same stock photo.

They arrived in 2 days and it literally took all of about 4 minutes to install the sights. The marlin sights came right out and the firesights went right in. Immediately the sight picture became infinitely better. I may seriously consider getting a set of them for the rest of my Marlin clan as well as for my Ruger Mark III. The rear fiber optic in contrasting green is really nice.

Anyway, they get my two thumbs up. I will be taking my rifle to the range this weekend to sight it in. I will post a follow up review of how easy it was to sight in or if I had any problems.

-Zach

(Northampton County)

Default Re: Firesights...

Looks interesting. My buddy as a 25 and I had one growing up. Great gun. But recently I tried to shoot one at 130 yards and realized the required holdover put the target out of view due to the style of the sights. V-notch sights are pretty crappy anyway.

(Bucks County)

I purchased the one for the model 925/60 (for my girlfriends model 25) instead of the one for the 25N/25MN as it looks like (from the pictures on brownells website) that the one for the 25N/25MN is designed for one with a hooded front sight and it doesn't look like the rear sight is adjustable without a drift hammer.

I suppose it just depends on the specific model you have though. I looked through some marlin diagrams and it looks like they used various sights on similarly named models.

-Zach

(Bucks County)

I installed the second set of firesights on my girlfriend's Marlin model 25...and learned a few lessons.

Firstly, there is no instructions on how to install the sights...not that there really needs to be...but step one, remove the screws from the firesight before installing. On the set installed on my 925, the screws were a bit more snug so the sight slid right in.

On my girlfriend's rifle, the screws were a little more loose and slid down blocking the installation of the firesight and mangling the aluminum base. I was able to get the sight in eventually with a lot more swearing and force. However, if I would have just removed the 2 screws that can lower and block the installation path, I'd have saved myself a lot of time, swearing, and pounding of the hammer.

Anyway, they were installed and looked good. So we took our rifles to the range.

Sighting them in was actually pretty easy. The height adjustment screw works good.

Adjusting the windage was a bit more difficult since it is just a set screw. You loosen it and move the rear sight by hand. Not a very precise method and it requires a lot of trial and error. However, it still beats the original rear sight which is only drift adjustable.

Both rifles sighted in pretty easily.

Somewhere along the line though, my Marlin 925 crapped out (I will be posting a thread about that in the rifle section shortly after this).

-Zach