Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Erie County)

Default Like a kid before Christmas...

http://www.cva.com/products/rifle_optpro.htm

I just got a new Optima Pro in .50 cal, black stock and nickle fluted barrel. Added a Traditions 2x7 matte black scope and restocked my possibilities bag with some Powerbelt 245 coppers and some Triple 7's pellets.

I'm going to take it out this weekend or maybe as soon as tommorrow and dial it in for an inch high at 100 yards.

I've hunted flintlock before but this will be a first for early muzzleloader season.

Now I just need to wash the hunting clothes with some lovely dirt and pine scented wash (without Mrs. CJ noticing I hope) and get the freezer ready for filling!

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Like a kid before Christmas...

My first early antlerless season too..
    Traded into a Optima Pro Magnum this spring. Topped it with a Nikon striaght 4x
    Haven't been able to bow hunt last several years so I figure I'll hunt the early antlerless for the first time since moving to PA...
    Anyway.

Bought Shockey's gold and some powerbelts. The 270gr Platinum Aero's and the std 295gr aerotip.

After sight in (which was yielding good groups) I shot one group each (was short on time that day) with each bullet type. 3-shot groups (it's hard to see on the scan)

Got 1.4" w/the std 295 aero's and 2.8" with the platinums. At 100 yards, w/the 4x scope

Good enough. I'll stick with the 295 std aero's. (they're cheaper than the platinums too)
    I'll play with the loads next year. See if I can shrink the groups down a bit. My early season spots are all under 100yard shooting lanes. I'll be dusting off the API Grand Slam Supreme climber and see if we can put some venison in the freeze next weekend