Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Default FNP 45 Tactical review***PICS***

I took the dive and bought this gun. I am a true 1911 fan through and through. I currently own a Kimber Tactical Entry HD with a light rail and a TLR 1 on it and it is a great shooter and easy to shoot for me. The only problem is I wanted a gun that could hold more than 8-10 rounds. I have been through other 45 pistols such as the XD 45, M&P 45, 1911's, HK45, HK USP 45 and Sig's. None of them really fit me in terms of mag capacity, grip size and texture, recoil, weight, bulk, etc. I know you are going to look at the gun and say well this is very bulky. Yes, it is but it is not as heavy as it looks.

Here are he features that made it set apart from the rest. It has ambi everything; ambi safety/decocker, ambi mag release (you can depress the button from either side without taking it apart and moving the button), and ambi slide release/catch. You can operate this gun from either hand without any alterations. No other gun I have owned has these features all in one. It has a threaded barrel, taller NIGHT SIGHTS (HK 45 Tactical or Mark23 do not have night sights standard), built in mount for a red dot so you can co witness the sights with the dot, 1913 rail, 3-15 round mags, 4 interchangeable back straps and a very nice carrying case.

Shooting the gun was very good with no FTFs or FTEs after 100 rnds. IT shot very accurately but it is still in its break in process. Recoil is very good and feels smoother. My 1911, when compared, feels like a huge chunk of metal sliding back (duh it is) but the FNP feels like its gliding more. Accuracy is very good; when you zero your dot it hits from 5-25 yds without moving due to heat from the barrel. The followup shots are quick because it comes right back down. I put the grip tape after the range session because I figured out where I needed it. I compared it side by side with my 1911 and my 1911 shoots better and more accurately but then again I am getting used to using the red dot. I am so used to using the sights. The Burris FastFire II red dot got really dirty after a box of ammo and just needed a wipe down. It never came loose at all during the session.

The first trigger pull is long and heavy but the second is short and light with very little reset. Again compared to a Kimber 1911 it feels about the same. It can be carried cocked and locked, which is how I will do it.

If you would notice the grip tape on the gun it is because that is a smooth part of the grip that, for me, needs some texture. There are 4 backstraps: 2 flat and 2 rounded and 2 different textures. One texture looks like the sides of the gip and the other is the front of the grip.
    Take down is a breeze just lock the slide back and pull down the lever and release forward. No trigger pulling, no secondary takedown levers (M&P), and no matching holes and grooves (1911 and HK). Oh, don't forget to take off the thread protector. Cleaning was a breeze too because all the grooves and crevices were so huge no toothbrushes or picks needed.

Overall it is a great gun to have as a concealed carry gun (if you have a duffel bag). Just kidding, it is great for a person that is always carrying a bag that he/she can fit it in, home defense, or shooting competitions. If you can't hit anything with 15 rounds in the mag you need some extra training. I bought this gun because of all the features it has being a tactical pistol. I have handled a Mark23 and the Mark23 feels heavier and the first trigger pull fells much heavier and longer. It only carries 10 or 12 rounds, I think and is double the price. I paid close to $1k for this gun so you can debate whether this is the gun for you. This will not be your first choice in concealed carry but may be a choice in your tacticool armament. Now its just a matter of finding a holster, any suggestions?

Last edited by pofboom; May 21st, 2010 at 05:50 AM. Reason: pics added

(York County)

Default Re: FNP 45 Tactical review

You beat me to a review! I picked one of these up a few weekends ago and just had a chance to run it through the range last week. Mine isn't a Tactical, and it does not have a threaded barrel, night sights, or 4 backstraps. Mine came with 2 backstraps (rounded and flat), 2 14 round magazines and 1 15 round magazine. The price on mine was significantly lower - $500 used from a private seller here in Kansas with 100 rounds of ammo, I found it retailing for $570 at local shops.

On mine, first trigger pull seemed very long and very heavy, and the second has a lot of slack that needs to be taken out of it. May just be me, since I was shooting this and my Glock, but that was my only real complaint.

Accuracy was great for this style (service pistol), and with 15 rounds of .45 ACP you can lay down enough lead for just about any situation. Since I bought mine used (lightly) I'm not sure where I'm at in the break-in process (previous owner claims 100-200 rounds), but we'll see in coming weeks if it breaks in a little more.

I got this because I was looking for a non-1911 .45, and it fit the bill perfectly.
    Last edited by Andrew17019; May 20th, 2010 at 08:10 AM.