Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Pittsburgh - best range?

What's the best range in the Pittsburgh area? I live on the South Side so something in the city or the South Hills would be best.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Pittsburgh - best range?

As far as range facilities that I have seen, I would vote for McDonald followed by Dormont Mt.Lebanon

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by DockEllisExperience View Post
    What's the best range in the Pittsburgh area? I live on the South Side so something in the city or the South Hills would be best.
    Mc Donald is pretty good but unless you do a # of work parties, the dues are a bit high ( I think around $150 and could be wrong about that).

I had an in-depth email conversation with a guy from Dormont/ Mt Lebo and it seems there are quite a few range restrictions that turned me off. The biggest was absolutely NO drawing from holsters which in my opinion is the safest place for as loaded handgun.

I got a membership at Pitcarin/ Monroeville which is reasonable, is an outstanding range which is being upgraded all the time and has some really good people there with many as forum members)

Coraopolis is supposed to be pretty good with an indoor range but only 100 yd rifle. ( This is regurgitated info)

Forest Grove Sportsmans club is a nice range which I have shot at but you can't shoot steel there due to the Montour Trail going right through the middle of the property.

Collier Sportsmans club is REALLY close to me but if I remember, there are a lot of range restrictions also.

I don't know anything about Library Sportsmans club and although i shot at Clairton, I don't know much about it.

Check them out online (sorry I don't have the links)

There's more I'm sure but these are the ones I've heard about or shot at.

I think Greater Pitt Gun Club is trying to reopen but I would wait for positive info on this before acting on it. (I am a current member there)

27hand
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

(Beaver County)

my vote is for PMSC, check out their website: pmsconline.com

(Westmoreland County)

+1 on PMSC

Very nice facilities & reasonable dues.

Something for everyone - they cover just about all the shooting sports.

Eric

NRA

American Infidel

You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig... You dig.
    Clint Eastwood - The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly.

(Allegheny County)

Doesnt someone have to sponsor you in to join PMSC ? I would love to join a club. Currently I go shoot at anthony arms ( www.anthonyarms.com ). They are very nice and have no real bad restrictions. Pricey though, check out their site for rates, and you have to buy their ammo. Close to the southside, its out by century III mall. Tuesday is ladys day, and women get free range time, so i usually go one or two tuesdays a month with my wife and sister.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by buckmulligan23 View Post
    Doesnt someone have to sponsor you in to join PMSC ? I would love to join a club. Currently I go shoot at anthony arms ( www.anthonyarms.com ). They are very nice and have no real bad restrictions. Pricey though, check out their site for rates, and you have to buy their ammo. Close to the southside, its out by century III mall. Tuesday is ladys day, and women get free range time, so i usually go one or two tuesdays a month with my wife and sister.

NO Sponsor needed.
    Come to the next meeting(Nov. 7th)and sign up. That's it.
    Our indoor range is similar to AA, but you won't go broke shooting there. (Bring your own ammo.)
    As for the outdoor ranges... well there's a lot of room to shoot.

If you ever want to see the club, just ask, there are a bunch of us on the forum who are members and would be happy to give you a tour.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Allegheny County)

GREAT!!! I will come nov 7th, are dues due at the time that I sign up? how are the range rules, and will anybody think I am some nut job with my AK ? Also, my ten year old son shoots with me on occasion, with direct supervision of course. Is it OK at the pistol range for him to shoot?
    Spending $50 every time I go to anthonys is not my idea of money well spent, now I can roll all those savings into new guns!!! :-)

(Westmoreland County)

GREAT!!! I will come nov 7th, are dues due at the time that I sign up? how are the range rules, and will anybody think I am some nut job with my AK ? Also, my ten year old son shoots with me on occasion, with direct supervision of course. Is it OK at the pistol range for him to shoot?
    Spending $50 every time I go to anthonys is not my idea of money well spent, now I can roll all those savings into new guns!!! :-)
    You will pay the dues plus 1 month pro-rated at $5, I think. Just bring a blank check, it won't be more than $110 (includes initiation fee and remainder of this year and all of next). The following year the dues will only be $60 and each year after that ($40 first year initiation).

PMSC does have a work-party restriction or they charge you an extra $15, boo hoo.

Range rules are great. No full auto is the only thing I can think of, outside of general courtesy rules.

TRUST ME, just about everyone has an AK and shoots at PMSC. Myself included. (am a member)

Your kid can join for just a few bucks as a Jr. Member. Check www.pmsconline.com for info. I've seen people bring their kids. It's a very family oriented place and they do stuff for boy scouts and the community as a public service.

If you want to check the place out, PM me and we'll work on a day to get you out there before the weather starts sucking. Great ranges, plenty of space, I highly recommend.

Take care
    "Because I'm an American." - MtnJack

(Allegheny County)

Answers: (in order)
    Yes.

Not sure what you mean by "how are the range rules".

Yes. (but that's OK, we're all a bit nuts. AK no problem as long as you are shooting responsibly)

I can't answer about kids on indoor range, but outdoor def. OK.

Yes, you WILL save money!

I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast