Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Low post count and F/S section

Quote Originally Posted by ddefazio View Post
    The more guns for sale and the more buyers that are out there the better in my opinion.
    I agree with you there but once you experience the same thing several times in just a couple of days you will think differently I guess. Like JayBell mentioned........this was discussed before and some people were pro and some were con. I only posted this to see if Dan was thinking about changing this or not because I have heard several people complaining about the same thing I experienced.
    You can only get smarter by playing a smarter opponent

(Lycoming County)

If you think PAFOA is bad try Craigslist...it's alot worse (at least from my experiences between the two)

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by thebearpack View Post
    I agree. I wasn't arguing with you but rather was just showing another angle. Still, IMO new posters here already get abused enough. Not sure it's the right move to limit what every low-post-count member can do because of a few bad ones.
    I know you were not arguing. Maybe I came on a little strong to you and I apologize for that. I know that "newbee" members get abused but not to often. I remember that I asked once "how many rounds do you carry in your extra clip".....and some members mailed me what I meant with "clip". They made all kinds of funny replies until someone stepped in and asked why these members were taking on "the newbee".

That is how every forum works......."If you can't stand the smell....stay out of the kitchen." Maybe there is another way to protect other members from people like this. There will always be a couple rotten apples in the basket but I think that I speak for us all when I say "we should limit those to practically zero"

Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Krssteel View Post
    Dan split all these forums up and posts in the political section do not add to your post count. All other sections do and that post count will clarify and show that the poster has intentions of being a worthy member.

If you want to post only in the political or lounge section then I see no problem but I have to add that this is a firearms forum and not some political blog. Most people posting in these two sections are members with a huge post count (99%).
    Exactly so. A firearms forum, with a number of different venues for differing tastes and interests. But just because an "enrollee" never posts in the shotguns forum, should he be denied access to another part of the site? That is my question - what criteria have been established for who can use the various forums and under what terms and conditions. Signing up is intended to grant access to most of the site immediately. I think it would be injurious to the whole PAFOA thing to require (for instance) some qualification like having to successfully BUY ten items from classifieds before qualifying to SELL two. You do see where that kind of restrictive logic leads, I am sure.

I too have been bummed and burned by a few sellers on this forum, but I repeat, "'caveat emptor". Which is just sound personal and business sense, wherever and whenever.

Sorry you had such an experience, but there are those kinds of ads everywhere, and those kind of people too. Like Jay, I add to a (very short) "SH*T LIST", occasionally.

But it is my opinion that this forum, and all the various parts of it contribute a lot to the enjoyment of the firearms culture. Not everyone could (or maybe should) enjoy it to the same depth and in like manner as you or I do, but we both wish there were more of the responsible kind. Not trying to be picky with this, but there may be a lot of vastly differing definitions of your term "worthy member". I like to think I am, but I HAVE gotten occasionally under the skin (albeit very thin) of a few posters here from time to time.

Flash
    "The life unexamined is not worth living." ....... Socrates

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by danp View Post
    This has been covered a few times, but: We allow this as it encourages people to register which then puts them on our mailing list which is important for when we have legislative issues.

It hurts nothing and potentially creates more gun owners who are passionate about and act on their rights.

It is very important to remember that this forum is not just a forum, it has a purpose that is greater than just chatting.
    That's from an old thread. Maybe Dan has given it some more thought since then.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Flash View Post
    we both wish there were more of the responsible kind.
    I agree that it would hurt the responsible new members and that the fast majority of those new members are still "straight shooters" (no pun intended). I don't know whether there will ever be a successful and satisfying solution for this problem.
    IMO it will not hurt to put a post up like I just did. Maybe some members will learn from it.
    Quote Originally Posted by danp
    It is very important to remember that this forum is not just a forum, it has a purpose that is greater than just chatting.
    Exactly.........by having "some" members that think they can treat others like described in my first post, will scare people away and will only pull a dark cloud over this forum. But then again.......that is just my opinion.
    Last edited by D10; May 19th, 2010 at 11:27 PM.

(Philadelphia County)

I have a lot of hobbies and have been screwed over several times, losing money in the process. However, I've never lost money over buying guns or gun parts...and I buy almost weekly, and frequently from forum classifieds. Gun owners tend to be friendly and honest in my experience.

The only time anyone screwed me over on PAFOA was someone promised to sell me something, but sold it to someone else without contacting me before or after. Words are important, but losing money hurts more than a bruised trust.

If you find seller's post count is important to you, don't buy anything for sale by someone with low post count. This way, you can set the limit to 25, 50, 100, or whatever yourself. I think we have enough admin control on this forum already (not to imply that I have any problems with existing rules).

Al

since they dont even punish those who do rip off others(the berkscountydave incident comes to mind), they probably arent going to do anything at all to try and help members from being ripped off.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by mythaeus View Post
    If you find seller's post count is important to you, don't buy anything for sale by someone with low post count. This way, you can set the limit to 25, 50, 100, or whatever yourself. I think we have enough admin control on this forum already (not to imply that I have any problems with existing rules).
    Exactly. It's up to you to determine who you will and won't do business with.

Question. How many people with no posts have completed deals timely and properly vs how many have been a waste of time/loss of funds?

From what I've seen there are probably a couple hundred users who buy and sell firearms through the classified system through out the year. Many of them have a 0 post, because they aren't interested in the forum for anything other than buying/selling guns. Maybe they already know everything we're discussing, maybe they don't care for it and think we're all redneck extremists.

But what they are doing, is buying/selling/trading guns and they're doing it the right way.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Montgomery County)

I think that its your responsiblity to find out if a buyer is serious about purchasing something before you go and "meet" and/or have the money before you ship something. Just because new members, have screwed you over, doesn't make it fair for other members.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast