Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default I am 19... Can I legally OWN a handgun or not

So I went in to the local gunshop on ellsworth street in South Philly and was told I can't own a handgun at all

I was under the impression that I can own one legally... Just can't buy it myself nor bullets

But I can buy a shotgun ... Which in My opinion I find rather retarded

I'm finding this process rather difficult and frustrating.... Can someone clear this up please

Default Re: I am 19... Can I legally OWN a handgun or not

first things first, dont go to a gunshop for info as they are notorious for giving bad info.

I believe so long as your parent/grandparent gifts you the gun you can have it, and I think i've heard about transferring it at a sheriffs office if you are under 21 though I've never heard of any sheriffs that will do this.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by XD45 View Post
    first things first, dont go to a gunshop for info as they are notorious for giving bad info.

I believe so long as your parent/grandparent gifts you the gun you can have it, and I think I've heard about transferring it at a sheriffs office if you are under 21 though I've never heard of any sheriffs that will do this.

Bingo ...

This is what I'm being told....

I didn't my grandmother can gift it though, I dad is dead and gone and who know where my mother is so .... when I was 16 my sister/legal guardian took custody of me... would she be considered my parent ?

I'm no idiot...
    I'm no gangbanger ... I'm trying to be a doctor lol

I'm buying a gun for protection... it will stay in a lock box underneath my bed except when I got to the range and I'm am aware of the law

The guys at the gunshop was very rude ... couldnt even give me a price on the .40 cal XDm im looking to purchase

I will be shopping else where

(Schuylkill County)

You can legally own a handgun at 18, if it is gifted legally to you, or you transfer it through a sheriff.
    I don't believe there would be any way for your sister to gift it to you, as she is not a parent/grandparent. The only other option for someone in your situation is to buy one from the dealer and have it transferred through the sheriffs office. However, from what I understand, most sheriffs will not do it.

Other than those two ways, it doesn't look to good for you... You may just have to wait it out.

(c) Duty of other persons.--Any person who is not a licensed
    importer, manufacturer or dealer and who desires to sell or
    transfer a firearm to another unlicensed person shall do so only
    upon the place of business of a licensed importer, manufacturer,
    dealer or county sheriff's office, the latter of whom shall
    follow the procedure set forth in this section as if he were the
    seller of the firearm. The provisions of this section shall not
    apply to transfers between spouses or to transfers between a
    parent and child or to transfers between grandparent and
    grandchild
    Last edited by NikeBauer21; May 19th, 2010 at 02:37 PM.
    III%

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Muscle Master View Post
    So I went in to the local gunshop on ellsworth street in South Philly and was told I can't own a handgun at all

I was under the impression that I can own one legally... Just can't buy it myself nor bullets

I'm finding this process rather difficult and frustrating.... Can someone clear this up please
    Federal law prohibits FFL dealers from selling/transferring handguns to persons under 21

Pa has no law prohibiting handgun OWNERSHIP or purchase by persons under 21 (and over 18)

You can purchase a handgun from a Pa, resident provided one of the following:

1) Purchased from an party exempted from the Pa requirement for the seller to execute a PSP form 4-113 (at an FFL)
    These exempted parties are spouse, parent, grandparent, child, grandchild.
    ref: 18Pa.C.S.6111(c)

2) If not an exempted party, have it transferred by the sheriff (*IF* the sheriff does transfers)

Amen. Gunshops and police are the last place to ask about gun law

I believe so long as your parent/grandparent gifts you the gun you can have it,...
    No requirement in Pa, (cited above) law for the transfer to be a "gift".
    "Gift" is only relevant to avoiding a straw purchase scenario. I think the straw purchase issue is what causes the confusion on these transfers to 18-21yr olds.

Example:
    a. Parent sells pistol to 18yr old child. Pistol was not purchased with intent to sell to child.
    --- Legal provided other requirements are met (IE: not knowing buyer is prohibited, a resident, etc)

b. Parent buys pistol at FFL for 18yr old child *as a gift*
    --- Legal

c. Parent BUYS handgun at gunshop to sell/or buys for a child (IE: takes childs money to buy)
    --- Illegal under straw purchase laws.
    Last edited by Pa. Patriot; May 19th, 2010 at 02:47 PM. Reason: fixed the damn quotes

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by NikeBauer21 View Post
    You can legally own a handgun at 18, if it is gifted legally to you, or you transfer it through a sheriff..
    For the love of God, people, please stop posting that you can only "gift" handguns to the exempted parties listed in 18Pa.C.S.6111(c)

It is not correct.

"Transfers", as the law exempts, include gifts, sales, trades, etc.

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

(Luzerne County)

PS: We feel your pain... When I am king for a day (all I would need) *ALL* gun control laws would disappear.

Remember Meleanie

(Montgomery County)

They're either ignorant or confused. The dealer can not sell you a handgun at all.

18 Pa.C.S. § 6110.1: Possession of firearm by minor
    Says you can't posess a firearm as a minor. Nothing in the law says you can't posess a firearm once you're 18, therefore you can.

The tricky part is getting it into your posession.
    18 USC § 922(b)

(b) It shall be unlawful for any licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to sell or deliver— (1) any firearm or ammunition to any individual who the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe is less than eighteen years of age, and, if the firearm, or ammunition is other than a shotgun or rifle, or ammunition for a shotgun or rifle, to any individual who the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe is less than twenty-one years of age;
    Prohibits a dealer from transfering to someone under 21.

18 Pa.C.S. § 6111: Sale or transfer of firearms
    This spells out rules on transfering firearms, in which there is an exemption:
    The provisions of this section shall not apply to transfers between spouses or to transfers between a parent and child or to transfers between grandparent and grandchild.
    Nothing in § 6111 specifies age, therefore a firearm could be transfered to you by someone meeting the exemption
    The right to bear arms isn't for hunting bear. Subliminal Messages

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pa. Patriot View Post
    Federal law prohibits FFL dealers from selling/transferring handguns to persons under 21

Pa has no law prohibiting handgun OWNERSHIP or purchase by persons under 21 (and over 18)

You can purchase a handgun from a Pa, resident provided one of the following:

1) Purchased from an party exempted from the Pa requirement for the seller to execute a PSP form 4-113 (at an FFL)
    These exempted parties are spouse, parent, grandparent, child, grandchild.
    ref: 18Pa.C.S.6111(c)

2) If not an exempted party, have it transferred by the sheriff (*IF* the sheriff does transfers)

Amen. Gunshops and police are the last place to ask about gun law

No requirement in Pa, (cited above) law for the transfer to be a "gift".
    "Gift" is only relevant to avoiding a straw purchase scenario. I think the straw purchase issue is what causes the confusion on these transfers to 18-21yr olds.

Example:
    a. Parent sells pistol to 18yr old child. Pistol was not purchased with intent to sell to child.
    --- Legal provided other requirements are met (IE: not knowing buyer is prohibited, a resident, etc)

b. Parent buys pistol at FFL for 18yr old child *as a gift*
    --- Legal

c. Parent BUYS handgun at gunshop to sell/or buys for a child (IE: takes childs money to buy)
    --- Illegal under straw purchase laws.
    I'm not trying to break the law....

But hypothetically speaking... If I was to mention to Grandmom that I want a gun for my birthday and she used her credit card ... and a month later I was to give her the money to pay off the credit card... would that be considered a straw purchase

And I would still have to go to the sheriff office to transfer ownership rite???

I'm not to far from the Sheriff's office ... I'm about to go there and ask some question ... but you guys did say they give bad info

(Luzerne County)

I'm not trying to break the law....

But hypothetically speaking... If I was to mention to Grandmom that I want a gun for my birthday and she used her credit card ... and a month later I was to give her the money to pay off the credit card... would that be considered a straw purchase
    If the intent is to have grandma buy a gun for you with your money. Yes, it would be a straw purchase under the current law and illegal.

I
    And I would still have to go to the sheriff office to transfer ownership rite???
    No. Transfers that are exempt from FFL involvement per 6111(c) are *exempt* from paper transfer.

I
    I'm not to far from the Sheriff's office ... I'm about to go there and ask some question ... but you guys did say they give bad info
    Depends on the sheriff. In my personal experiences, one is more likely to get bad info asking an LEO for legal advice.

But asking them if they do transfers would be mandatory if you plan on asking them to do one... no?

Remember Meleanie

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast