Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default Told by constable that I could not carry in Township Building to vote

I just got back from the polls. Especially empty today, I guess I missed the big crowd. I go in carrying my XDm, people were friendly and nice as always. I vote then im walking out the door and our constable (Bunso?spelling?) starts pointing to me. Hes an older gentlemen so keep this in mind.

Constable : "What is that?"
    Me: "Its a firearm"
    Constable : "You can't carry that in here"
    Me: "Yes I can, did they just put school in here?"
    Constable: "You can't carry in here because its election day"
    Me: "Im pretty sure you can sir, election day is no different then any other day"
    Constable: "Its my fault, I should of caught you at the door before you even came in to vote"
    Me: "So in that if you caught me you would of denyed my right to vote because I was practicing my right to carry a firearm?"
    Constable: "Yes"
    Me: "In that case lets call the LEO's and see what they think about this? Because this sounds like vote intimidation to me"
    Constable: "Well, I have state police and other LEO's that always take their guns off before coming in here"
    Me: "Are they on duty?"
    Constable: "Yes"
    Me: "Two things, they shouldnt be voting while on duty (whetever that is a regulation i dunno, but definitly a moral stance) and two they should never be unarmed while on duty (another regulation)"
    Constable: "Well they do"

I believe I gave him the hint that I knew what I was talking about and he began to change his tone from it not being lawful to not being recommended. He then advised me to call a district judge. I just now called Rodger Metzger Pesident of the Monroe County Constable Association. I would like to see his stance on this situation.

UPDATE: I called DJ John D. Whitesell based on his recomendation. This DJ was very helpful and informative to tell you the truth. He knew what he was talking about and was on my side the whole way. He told me next time this happens and if it is to the point where I am denyed my right to vote to call him or the state police.

UPDATE 2: Ok Just got off the phone with Roger Metzger the association president of constables of Monroe County. He told me that its agianst the election laws for anyone to open carry within a voting station. He said theres signs posted all over the place. He said that concealed carrying is fine, but open carry is not. He said thats why LEOs do not carry when voting. Did I just vote on another planet or does he has a valid point?
    Last edited by Ross11988; May 18th, 2010 at 06:59 PM.

(Lebanon County)

Default Re: Told by constable that I could not carry in Township Building to vote

Well done. It must have been frustrating.
    Some say that his discharge is luminous.

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Told by constable that I could not carry in Township Building to vote

Quote Originally Posted by StraussiE WousiE View Post
    Well done. It must have been frustrating.
    Yes it really was, I really just wanted to walk away from the situation, but I knew it would of done it would of bothered me.

(Monroe County)

now im really tempted to go up there and vote now. id like to put this guy in his place. im assuming you went to the Barrett Twsp building.
    Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by rovert97 View Post
    now im really tempted to go up there and vote now. id like to put this guy in his place. im assuming you went to the Barrett Twsp building.
    Paradise Township, sorry :P

Quote Originally Posted by rovert97 View Post
    You can only vote where you are supposed to vote. Unless maybe you're a member of ACORN or something.
    Tommy610, NRA Member, Romans 12:18

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by tommy610 View Post
    You can only vote where you are supposed to vote. Unless maybe you're a member of ACORN or something.
    No it was my fault, we live right next to each other, but two different townships. I never clarrified which township this happened in.

(Allegheny County)

I've never seen an OCer at the polls in my borough. In fact voters have made cracks about ME carrying at the polls.

Now I'm hoping for the best for one election-day deputy: the lady who usually does it for me wasn't able this time around, and I found a young guy to sub for her. My last-minute briefing on his duties boiled down to: "Your job is to make sure things go smoothly; follow the orders of the judge of elections. If trouble breaks out, call the police." Election-day deputies are usually not certified Constables or full deputies, and they're getting paid about $100 to work a 12+ hour day. Training is limited because it would have to be at their expense.

That said, the reason Constables keep the peace at the polls is precisely to avoid looking like a police state: in most countries, the polls are bristling with uniformed cops, often with carbines and riot gear. Cops are actually prohibited at the polls, except to vote or in actual performance of their duties.

(Clinton County)

First time voting OC for me. No problems. The guy I work with tried to tell me you can not carry when voting. I educated him by showing him the forum. I was prepared if a constable said anything. Instead it was nice and uneventful.
    The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Ross11988 View Post
    UPDATE: I called DJ John D. Whitesell based on his recomendation. This DJ was very helpful and informative to tell you the truth. He knew what he was talking about and was on my side the whole way. He told me next time this happens and if it is to the point where I am denyed my right to vote to call him or the state police.

EDIT: I now see it was Paradise, not Barrett.

I've know Danny Whitesell for over 20 years, he is one hell of a nice guy and a great DJ and he KNOWS the laws!
    Last edited by dc dalton; May 18th, 2010 at 10:29 AM.

Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast