Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default CAUGHT NOT CARRYING IN ALLENTOWN!!

hi guys, just wanted to share with you something that happened to me today in Allentown. Basically, I got caught with my pants down.
    I was in allentown picking up my father near Hamilton Blvd and American Highway (bad area). I was trying to make a left into a parking lot to get some grub and I noticed a dark blue new Nissan sedan with blacked out windows to my left trying to go around me. I kept rolling along to try to make the next entrance to the packing lot.They kept pacing me and not letting me make my turn into the parking lot. So I gunned my 85 chevy blazer military truck and got in front of them and made my left turn. The almost stopped in the middle of the street to call me a PUSSY, lay on their horn, and they went on their way. so i thought.
    I was parking to get a slice of pizza and thought to myself i better give it a minute to see if they come back, and sure enough, they did. I saw them coming back to right where I was parking. I pulled out and they followed. This is starting to look bad. they pulled up next to me on American Parkway, and rolled down their window. 2 black males started shouting at me, trying to get me to pull over...they wanted to fight....right then and there. I explained to him how I didn't want to fight, i had nothing to prove. the driver then produced his knife and told me he was gunna f*ck me up...tried to run me off the road. Now as serious as this was, i couldn't help but laugh to myself because he had one of those gay ass knives with the built in brass knuckles with the spikes on it. I was half tempted to explain that if he knew anything about knives and knife fighting, he'd put that clown ass blade down and leave me alone.
    Anyway, he followed for several more blocks, and I was turning left and right on all the seedy side streets in allentown trying not to get stopped by a red light. Well as you can guess...i did. While stopped at a light, the driver started to get out. the light went green and I punched the throttle. he got back in and continued to follow. I called the police, and they actually were less than helpful. The car tunred off while i was on the phone and the dispatcher said.."ok,....so no more problem." thanks pal.
    i can't help but share this story and remind myself why i need to carry all the time.

ok, so here is my problem, I travel into NJ just about everyday, and we all know that NJ + gun = jail. I leave the piece at home because i don't want or need the hassle. I just don't know what to do....it kills me to leave the piece at home. i have heard the old adage, "i'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6"...but i never heard the other part...which is, I'd prefer neither.

thanks for reading my experience here guys...i think from now on...regardless...i'll have my firearm with me. (WHILE IN PENNSYLVANIA!!!)

pinwormfood
    Last edited by PINWORMFOOD; May 18th, 2010 at 11:04 AM. Reason: CLARIFICATION

(York County)

Default Re: CAUGHT NOT CARRYING IN ALLENTOWN!!

I feel you pain! I commute from York to Baltimore to work which leaves be unarmed in 90+ % of my normal travels.

Lack of reciprocity with border states SUCKS!

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by PINWORMFOOD View Post
    ... i couldn't help but laugh to myself because he had one of those gay ass knives with the built in brass knuckles with the spikes on it. I was half tempted to explain that if he knew anything about knives and knife fighting, he'd put that clown ass blade down and leave me alone.
    That clown ass blade could kill you just as well as any fairly sharp piece of steel.
    It's also a prohibited offensive weapon. You should have called police and given a description of the vehicle, and the ass clown with the clown ass blade.

The 1986 FOPA contains a provision which allows you to travel through any state with a firearm, as long as it's unloaded, and in a secure container. For SUV's and pickups and other vehicles lacking a trunk, your best bet is a little firesafe, the kind with the handle. Before you get to the border, unload the gun, pop it in the safe, lock it up.

I'd also leave the hollow points and any hi-cap mags at home, I'm not at all sure that FOPA applies to anything except the gun itself.

Be advised that NJ and NY don't like FOPA, and may act on that animosity by arresting you and seizing your gun for a while.

§ 926A. Interstate transportation of firearms
    Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post

§ 926A. Interstate transportation of firearms
    Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.
    Isn't this riding on the idea that he would be able to carry at his place of employment?

Someone was arguing FOPA the other day and said it's only good if it's legal to possess at the origin, passing through a non gun friendly state like new york, to a destination where possession is again lawful, for example new hampshire.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Butler County)

I've understand Fed law covers passing thru a state not visiting within the state. You can only stop for gas or an emergency. Is that correct?

I always carried in Allentown, no exceptions...most of the time with a BUG and a vest...
    How pissed are you gonna be if you die before the Zombie Apocalypse comes? - - IANAL

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by DonM55 View Post
    I've understand Fed law covers passing thru a state not visiting within the state. You can only stop for gas or an emergency. Is that correct?
    That's what I thought. But then I don't always think straight
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

Quote Originally Posted by jcabin View Post
    Isn't this riding on the idea that he would be able to carry at his place of employment?

Someone was arguing FOPA the other day and said it's only good if it's legal to possess at the origin, passing through a non gun friendly state like new york, to a destination where possession is again lawful, for example new hampshire.
    Depends on your definitions, and the state. As I said, NJ and NY tend to ignore the law entirely, and have a cottage industry in snagging people passing through their borders in compliance with the law. Other states understand the Supremacy Clause.

If you want to minimize your unarmed travel time, then FOPA can help with the trip to the border, but not while in the hostile state. Whether a trip from home through NJ and back is covered or not, well, NJ cops will say "no", but they'd have an uphill battle if your unloaded gun was in a locked safe that they busted open with a pry bar after a warrantless search, plus they'd have to defeat your FOPA defense.

Most people will eventually return home, FOPA can't apply only to people heading West on one-way trips to settle in Montana, never to return. Whether it covers a day at work as part of your round trip...like I said, it's a risk.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by emsjeep View Post
    I always carried in Allentown, no exceptions...most of the time with a BUG and a vest...
    Lol...please tell me u are kidding.
    "No man's life,liberty,or property are safe while the legislature is in session." -Mark Twain

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast