Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Adams County)

Default Self Defence Carry Insurance

Do any of you folks purchase insurance in case you are involved in a self defence situation? Just curious if its common practice or not.

No, I am not an advertiser or whatever for this company. I actually got this protection when I got my VA non resident permit because I had just read a couple books about concealed carry and the author's generally recommended having some type of insurance.

Got mine from CHL Protection Plan (chlpp.com).
    Porsche, there is no substitute

(York County)

Default Re: Self Defence Carry Insurance

Pretty ridiculous that one should even have to consider purchasing such a thing. In my opinion, that falls right under asteroid insurance on my list of things that should be considered for purchase. Unfortunately however, I'm not gonna sit here and say it's a bad thing to have with the way the justice system is today.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government" -- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

(York County)

What exactly does chlpp do for you? This is a CONCEALED handgun plan, and they tell you to make sure your handgun is concealed from plain view.

Here is one issue I found, from their FAQ:
    # What to do if you are stopped...

# Follow these guidelines to exercise your constitutional rights:

# Make sure your handgun is not in plain view.
    Is this to say you are not protected if you are OC? Also, they say they offer "assistance", just what does this assistance entail? I'm having a little too much difficulty locating these answers on their site.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    What exactly does chlpp do for you? This is a CONCEALED handgun plan, and they tell you to make sure your handgun is concealed from plain view.

Here is one issue I found, from their FAQ:

Is this to say you are not protected if you are OC? Also, they say they offer "assistance", just what does this assistance entail? I'm having a little too much difficulty locating these answers on their site.
    It's a scam, out of TX....

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by bighornjd View Post
    Pretty ridiculous that one should even have to consider purchasing such a thing. In my opinion, that falls right under asteroid insurance on my list of things that should be considered for purchase. Unfortunately however, I'm not gonna sit here and say it's a bad thing to have with the way the justice system is today.

do you carry a gun ?
    if so, then why if you never think youll need to use it?

wonder how many people here know what lawyer they will use if they ever need to ?

this one looks good:
    http://www.locktonrisk.com/nrains/defense.htm

(Chester County)

I asked this question a long time ago, and talked to my renters insurance carrier. I just added to my renters umbrella policy it was like $10 or $20 per hundred thousand a year. The NRA insurance is nice, but only provides reimbursement after you have won your court case. So you have to ut your money out for a lawyer and other stuff.

(Bucks County)

This was already discussed in another thread -

http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-car...insurance.html

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by bigrdenu View Post
    I asked this question a long time ago, and talked to my renters insurance carrier. I just added to my renters umbrella policy it was like $10 or $20 per hundred thousand a year. The NRA insurance is nice, but only provides reimbursement after you have won your court case. So you have to ut your money out for a lawyer and other stuff.
    the reimbursment seems to only apply to crimnal court. Your civil liability is covered as well.

I would ask if that added umbrella covers anything criminally or just civil liability.

Quote Originally Posted by bigrdenu View Post
    Check your policy very carefully. Most specifically exclude intentional acts, and by definition self defense must be intentional.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn.L View Post
    do you carry a gun ?
    if so, then why if you never think youll need to use it?

wonder how many people here know what lawyer they will use if they ever need to ?

this one looks good:
    http://www.locktonrisk.com/nrains/defense.htm
    I hope i never have to use it, but in the event I do I'd like to think that I was justified in doing so, and hopefully the jury will as well. If it's a good shoot, why do I need insurance? If it's a bad shoot, do you really think the insurance is going to cover anything? Although even a good true self-defense shoot could land you behind bars these days - not everyone out there thinks like you and I do, they would rather just be a victim. That's where the last sentence of my first post comes in, meaning that having some sort of insurance like mentioned might not be a bad idea, other than the fact it probably will do little good if you ever need it. If it's like any other insurance policy, it has so many exclusions and exceptions that it doesn't cover you on any day that ends in Y.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government" -- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast