Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Adams County)

Default To the thread would you shoot t kill

Ok i was reading the comments to what i posted look nobody really knows what they would do untill you have to do it and who ever said something about making head shots and being cockey well im not cockey and no where did i say anything about making head shots.What i said was upper body shots CHEST and 9 times out of 10 if you hit someone in the CHEST upper body not head they die.Alot of you said i would shoot to stop the threat ok well what part of the body would you shoot to stop the threat???? you wouldnt shoot for the arm or leg no you wouldnt you would shoot for the big part of the body the upper part belly button up how many agree?????And yes it was a gun owner who asked me if i would shoot to kill

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: To the thread would you shoot t kill

Quote Originally Posted by sigma40cal View Post
    What i said was upper body shots CHEST and 9 times out of 10 if you hit someone in the CHEST upper body not head they die.
    I'm assuming you have the necessary scientific study to back up this claim, or was this learned through a personal experiment.

(Clinton County)

Ok i was reading the comments to what i posted look nobody really knows what they would do untill you have to do it and who ever said something about making head shots and being cockey well im not cockey and no where did i say anything about making head shots.What i said was upper body shots CHEST and 9 times out of 10 if you hit someone in the CHEST upper body not head they die.Alot of you said i would shoot to stop the threat ok well what part of the body would you shoot to stop the threat???? you wouldnt shoot for the arm or leg no you wouldnt you would shoot for the big part of the body the upper part belly button up how many agree?????And yes it was a gun owner who asked me if i would shoot to kill
    In the training I have had you shoot for center mass. The center of the biggest part you see. If you have a very small area to shoot in the chest area you take the biggest mass and shoot for the center. This maybe the pelvis or a leg. Shoot until the threat is eliminated.
    The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.

Could you please pay a little attention to grammar? Non native English speakers like me have a hard time deciphering that bag of gibberish you just posted!

A question like "... up how many agree?????" makes no sense to me at all.

Please, calm down, retract the claws and behave human again.

Jan
    So long and thanks for all the fish.

(Lackawanna County)

While the study that these numbers come from is about twenty years old, I suspect most of the numbers still hold true.

The statistics say that 37% of those hit by a gunshot will die; that includes rifle shots. (I'll have to find the actual study, but I believe that it included military action). Drawn down to handguns only, less that two in ten will die.

In other words, eight out of ten will survive, albeit wounded.

IIRC, other than a direct head shot, those that died were most likely to have been hit in the shoulder or leg. This makes sense, since both have large blood vessels that, if hit, will cause the victim to bleed out quickly.

The most common place to be hit by a bullet fired after being drawn from a holster was the abdomen, with the shot having been fired while the gun was transitioning from low ready to center mass on sight; the most common causes of death were shock and sepsis.

In that study, the most common weapon to be killed by was the lowly .25ACP Raven, which was still readily available in those days.

Plan all you want in your head, but when the defecation strikes the rotary air moving device, unless you are thoroughly practiced, you are likely to have your finger within the trigger guard, and fire while you are still drawing. Aimed headshots, leg shots, and arm/shoulder shots are Hollywood, not life.
    "...a REPUBLIC, if you can keep it."

(Clinton County)

Quote Originally Posted by wa3ra View Post
    While the study that these numbers come from is about twenty years old, I suspect most of the numbers still hold true.

The statistics say that 37% of those hit by a gunshot will die; that includes rifle shots. (I'll have to find the actual study, but I believe that it included military action). Drawn down to handguns only, less that two in ten will die.

In other words, eight out of ten will survive, albeit wounded.

IIRC, other than a direct head shot, those that died were most likely to have been hit in the shoulder or leg. This makes sense, since both have large blood vessels that, if hit, will cause the victim to bleed out quickly.

The most common place to be hit by a bullet fired after being drawn from a holster was the abdomen, with the shot having been fired while the gun was transitioning from low ready to center mass on sight; the most common causes of death were shock and sepsis.

In that study, the most common weapon to be killed by was the lowly .25ACP Raven, which was still readily available in those days.

Plan all you want in your head, but when the defecation strikes the rotary air moving device, unless you are thoroughly practiced, you are likely to have your finger within the trigger guard, and fire while you are still drawing. Aimed headshots, leg shots, and arm/shoulder shots are Hollywood, not life.
    Which is why I practice drawing from my holster and firing when I target shoot.

(Allegheny County)

Why did this need its own thread?

(Bedford County)

I need to find the source, but I've read that your more likely to die from a knife wound than from a gun shot.
    I am not a lawyer !!

(Adams County)

No i dont have a scientific claim its just comman sense

(Lackawanna County)

That is true; you are far more likely to die by stabbing than by gunshot, and the most lethal implement is an ice pick.
    "...a REPUBLIC, if you can keep it."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast