Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got a new toy

(York County)

Default Got a new toy

Picked up my Springfield EMP a little over a week ago.

I was a little leery with some of the shaky reviews on initial reliability but I am glad I bought this little 1911.

As for reliability, I shot 200 rounds of Black Hills FMJ reloads followed by 50 rounds of Black Hills JHP +P (new). It had one FTF in with the FMJ rounds in the second magazine full, but other than that it was fine. Then came the Hollow points. It would not feed them for anything. It was a frustrating experience. I then tried 2 mag fulls of Speer Gold Dots and they were flawless. I compare the bullets and it seems the BH JHP is a bit shorter which I attribute to the feeding issue.

I have since ran 200 rounds of WWB FMJ and 100 rounds of WWB JHP through it without a hiccup. I would have tried PowRBall ammo if I could find some. It seems to be out of stock locally

It is an extremely well made pistol from the fit and feel to the machining. The trigger is crisp and although I have no way of measuring the trigger pull, I am very pleased with it. It is the most accurate pistol I have shot to date. The recoil is very manageable even with the few +Ps that I shot through it. It has been flawlessly reliable except for one FTF in the break-in except fot the BH JHP which I now know are not a good fit for this gun. Breakdown and cleaning really allows you to see how well made this little baby is.

I really like that the 9mm rounds can be bought significantly cheaper than the .40 S&W I have been shooting. I feel like a bit of a hypocrite after that "Why all the used .40 in shops" thread but hey... ammo isn't getting any cheaper and the EMP only came in 9mm.

The problem is now I am thinking of replacing my XD40SC with a Kahr PM9

(Pike County)

Default Re: Got a new toy

Good luck with it and happy shooting. Certainly on my ‘Drool List’. I’ve been looking for a 1911 type in 9mm and the EMP seems to fit the bill perfectly. Thanks for the range report. Where are the pics???

(Delaware County)

What no pics?

(Centre County)

Audemus jura nostra defendere

(York County)

Sorry for the late pics, here's my new EMP next to my new Kahr PM9 and I threw in the old Walther P22 just for the halibut:

The PM9 and the EMP have been flawless since the first outing with the EMP. Never had so much as a hiccup through the PM9. The Kahr's relatively long DAO trigger took some getting used to but once I made the necessary adjustments to my shooting it is quite accurate as well.

Now what's next? Whatever it is it's going to be a while
    Last edited by TwistedCopper; October 7th, 2007 at 07:42 PM.

(Pike County)

Nice pics, shows good size comparison.

(York County)

lead slinger

(Chester County)

Good luck with it. I had some problems with mine and had to send it back. Now it shoots great and wouldn't trade it for anything.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by SteveXD View Post
    Good luck with it. I had some problems with mine and had to send it back. Now it shoots great and wouldn't trade it for anything.
    If referring to the Springfield EMP, other than the Black hills hollow points it has been great. At least 650 rounds by now.

The PM9 has done well too.

FUnny thing is I have heard alot of mixed reviews on both of these pistols. SO far, so good.
    Last edited by TwistedCopper; October 8th, 2007 at 05:17 PM.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by species0113 View Post
    lead slinger
    lol yeah I've done a ton of shooting with them lately. I think the guys at the range think I'm nuts.

What the heck, I got a good deal on WWB and well... a pile of ammo and 2 new toys... what's a guy to do!?!?!?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast