Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default General questions about ccw use and glock 17

Hi, this is my first post and this website has been a tremendous help to me in learning some info. I just got my ccw! I have a glock 17 and I love the thing. What is a good holster for a glock 17 because it is a pretty bulky gun as far as hiding it goes with a t-shirt on.

I also have a scenario I'd like to go over. Say im walking on a sidewalk and some guy slows next to me and asks for directions. Being a good citizen, I walk up to his car a little closer and tell him. Then he pulls out a gun and says to give him my wallet. I comply and he starts to drive off. Now, as he is pulling away, can I pull out my gun and shoot?

Like generally, if there is a crime committed against me and the perpetrator finishes and leaves can i draw then and fire?

Also if there is a situation where i have to shoot can i be sued by that person (if he lives) or by his family if he doesnt?

(Tioga County)

Default Re: General questions about ccw use and glock 17

Quote Originally Posted by jh664322 View Post
    Hi, this is my first post and this website has been a tremendous help to me in learning some info. I just got my ccw! I have a glock 17 and I love the thing. What is a good holster for a glock 17 because it is a pretty bulky gun as far as hiding it goes with a t-shirt on.

I also have a scenario I'd like to go over. Say im walking on a sidewalk and some guy slows next to me and asks for directions. Being a good citizen, I walk up to his car a little closer and tell him. Then he pulls out a gun and says to give him my wallet. I comply and he starts to drive off. Now, as he is pulling away, can I pull out my gun and shoot?
    NO! there is no threat at this point.

Like generally, if there is a crime committed against me and the perpetrator finishes and leaves can i draw then and fire?
    No again. once the threat is gone you can't use force.

QUOTE=jh664322;104251]Also if there is a situation where i have to shoot can i be sued by that person (if he lives) or by his family if he doesnt?[/QUOTE]

Under present law you can count on being sued.

No offense to the thread maker, just some thoughtsthat could help.. i'd strongly urge you to get some training and brush up on laws and read other cases as a few comments you made are very off the wall from what could be done legally...

good luck be safe and welome to the forum

(York County)

As far as shooting the perp...nope, the other folks are steering you right. A few bucks lost aren't worth possibly being arrested or losing your life (remember, he already has his gun out!).
    Definitely follow XD45's advice!!! If you're going to carry...you need to be knowledgeable of the laws.

I carry a Glock 17 on occasion. I have Galco belt slide with a retention strap, but I see it's no longer available (replaced by another style). Galco makes a nice holster. Any leather holster will take a while to break in (just like shoes). I just leave the unloaded gun in the holster for about a week (pulling it out and reinserting it a few times a day).
    Nice thing, as long as it's an open bottom (slide sticks through), it'll fit the 17 and the 19.
    I do suggest you get a holster with a retention strap. They break in a lot quicker then a retension holster (no strap) does. Be willing to spend the $50-$90 for a good holster!

Now, I've never been too good at concealing a 17 or 19 under a tee shirt. The grip is too bulky. This is with an OUTSIDE the waistband holster. I don't care for the INSIDE the waist band type...just my personal opinion...a lot of guys carry inside the waistband all the time!

So, when I carry a Glock, I'll have a collared shirt on that's long enough to cover the gun. Or, I'll wear a sports coat which, for me, is the best way to carry a full sized handgun.

Good luck in your decision...don't hesitate to ask more questions!
    Last edited by RoyJackson; September 7th, 2007 at 08:45 PM.

No, that is what gets people in trouble. When the perpertrator leaves, or to be more specific when your life is no longer in danger, it is no longer justified as self-defense. The perp would have to be firing at you (i.e. he is not just leaving), or kidnapping your child (life is still in danger) or other such circumstances to justify drawing a weapon.

Also if there is a situation where i have to shoot can i be sued by that person (if he lives) or by his family if he doesnt?
    Yes. You can be sued for excessive force, mental anguish or whatever else a lawyer can dream. Even if you do not shoot. It is sad, but also reality. How successful they will be depends on the jury and is therefore unpredictable.

Remember:
    Use the minimum deadly force to protect your life from immediate danger. No more. Do not let emotion or adrenaline take control.

(Venango County)

Quote Originally Posted by VeryPrivate View Post
    Remember:
    Use the minimum deadly force to protect your life from immediate danger. No more. Do not let emotion or adrenaline take control.
    Heh, probably much easier said than done!!

BTW..good points above, get the training, and do your research

Glock Pistols.......So simple a Caveman could fix them!

never mind
    Last edited by WMG; September 7th, 2007 at 09:30 PM. Reason: just decided to keep my mouth shut

(Philadelphia County)

Reading what you typed, it seems like you may have a gun and CCW for the wrong reason. Leave the gun at home and buy a slingshot.

JUSTITIA ET VIRTUS

(Bucks County)

The Glock 17 is difficult to conceal, and impossible to conceal well with a T-shirt. I carry a Glock 19, which is more compact, and is less difficult to conceal, but still rough with a T-shirt.

As for your scenario, would you do something like that, and killed the guy, you would be charged with murder. Even if you miss, you're going to be charged with something, and you'll probably never be able to own a firearm again. You are only permitted to use deadly force if you are in immediate danger of great bodily injury or harm. Once the danger drives or walks off, it's a matter for the police.

I would highly encourage you not to carry a firearm until you get some training on the legal aspects of using deadly force in self-defense, and the legal issues involved with carrying a gun. At the very least, you should buy and read Massad Ayoob's classic on the matter "In The Gravest Extreme", but getting training is well worth the money. If you're unsure of where to go, feel free to post another post asking, and I'm sure people will suggest someone near to you that will help with the training.
    Snowflakes in Hell Blog
    Where There's Snow, There's Firepower
    http://snowflakesinhell.com

The first thing I learned about firearms is, do not shoot at anything that you are not willing to destroy. And what about whats behind your "target"?
    Using your firearm should be your very last resort. You should first exhaust all other options. How would you handle the situation if you were not armed?
    Forget about the lawsuits, and the police and public opinion.
    More importantly, would you be able to live with yourself knowing that you took someones life?
    Yes, if your life is in danger, or your family, and you have exhausted all other options, then use deadly force might be justified. Just remember the consequences. There will be consequences even if you are justified. The law and the lawsuits will be the least of your problems.
    Also, you must have a certain mindset to carry a firearm. Its not a toy, and shouldn't be treated like one. Once you HAVE TO pull that trigger, your life changes forever.
    I as a female carry everyday, concealed. Even as a female I conditioned myself that I will pull my firearm when I have exhausted every other option, (run away, comply, scream, etc. etc.) and I am an easier mark than a man.
    Get some training.
    Learn the laws, become proficient in handling your weapon safely, and think about when and why you carry.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast