Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Thumbs up Classic Pistol in Southampton, PA

Umm... Ok... Anybody know what is going on at Classic Pistol? I haven't been there is a couple of years, and decided to check it out last night. I walked in and perused around a bit, before noticing this place was really different. For one, they seem to be under some new management. Couple of friendly faces and something going on in the first bay with IDPA type of a set up. There was a new display case going in or something. Then I realized, whoa, they really have some inventory now! All kinds of assault rifles and pistols galore with a huge selection of revolvers. Not sure why they had so many revolvers, but whatever...

Then I start looking around further. the place has definitely been cleaned up over the last two years, with new signs and get this... ART WORK! They had this huge old poster in a frame (not that impressive, but different in a cool way and HUGE, like wall size). then I'm looking around, and they must have hired some uber-photographer to make up these giant posters that looked like one of the fancy pictures that you'd see in a Guns & Ammo mag or something - they must have paid through the nose for these... Posters of targets, and cool guns and even what looked like a marketing effort with a woman wearing an FBI hat shooting what looked like a silver 1911 rapidfire! It looked real and not like a doctored up pic that you'd see somewhere - pretty smart pulling the female shooters... New accessories on the shelves and the place was bustling... Everyone was friendly... What a cool night!

What a refreshing change! It was kinda dirty before, but I am definitely going back! the new management has definitely started a makeover and it looks like a definite improvement since my last visit. Anybody know if John still owns the place?

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Classic Pistol in Southampton, PA

So... how much did you end up paying for the place... and the rennovations?

(Montgomery County)

hunh? Are you implying that I own the place? funny... no seriously... funny...

(Montgomery County)

Bob took over CP back in January and has made many improvements.
    There is much more inventory of both guns and accessories than there was under the old owners.

CP now has reloading equipment and supplies in stock. They also have a full time gun smith - John Robinson, on the premises.

The staff he has in place is both friendly and knowledgeable.
    Bob has put alot of time and money into the business and the improvement is very noticeable. He has made a very serious effort in cleaning the place up and making it a better and more friendly environment for everybody.

Every third Tuesday of the month is IDPA night. It's not an official IDPA match, but it is good practice.

There are also other specialty type shoots on other nights of the month.

Bye for a while, guard the fort. - My Dad

(Montgomery County)

Thanks for the update 1blindref. Well kudos to Bob. Maybe I noticed because I hadn't been in for a while (Target World is a lot closer), but all things considered, the changes seemed noticable... It's too bad they didn't have a Glock 19 or I would have bought it last night... I've always wanted one (even though I've never shot one) and I love the accessories you can get to mod it.

Are they still doing classes there? i checked out the web site and I really couldn't get any real information from it. My wife is finally considering learning about pistols and it would be great if she could take a class or something (I know the lesson of never try to teach your partner anything - it is a test of the relationship) and I want nothing to do with her learning process for her first shoot!

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by CustomShooter View Post
    hunh? Are you implying that I own the place? funny... no seriously... funny...
    It was your very first post and it read like an advertisement. If I was mistaken, you have my apologies. (But that kind of stuff does happen... frequently.)

(Montgomery County)

No worries. I just thought it was cool that the place seemed so different... so I guess it could have sounded like a shameless plug, but given how busy they seemed, they don't need to take tactics like you mentioned.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by CustomShooter View Post
    Thanks for the update 1blindref. Well kudos to Bob. Maybe I noticed because I hadn't been in for a while (Target World is a lot closer), but all things considered, the changes seemed noticable... It's too bad they didn't have a Glock 19 or I would have bought it last night... I've always wanted one (even though I've never shot one) and I love the accessories you can get to mod it.

Are they still doing classes there? i checked out the web site and I really couldn't get any real information from it. My wife is finally considering learning about pistols and it would be great if she could take a class or something (I know the lesson of never try to teach your partner anything - it is a test of the relationship) and I want nothing to do with her learning process for her first shoot!
    They absolutely have more classes than before!

There is a NRA Basic Pistol taught by a female instructor every month, on two Wed and a Fri evening (10 hours total); there are several NRA instructors available at different times for private lessons; a guy who does first steps pistol training about once a month (August has one they are taking reservations for) on a Saturday or Sunday (4 Hours); an Act 245 instructor and school; and Rifle /shotgun instructors available. They have even started reloading classes!

(Philadelphia County)

I shot the IDPA event there last night. Good place to go . I am a member there.

(Bucks County)

CustomShooter,

Thanks for the kind words. I'm the new owner at Classic Pistol.

I've made changes to the inventory as 1blindref mentioned, added John Robinson as a full time onsite gunsmith and in general tried to make positive changes.

The new display case you mentioned is for optics and other acessories. I'm moving the rental handguns to the display case where I have them now to make room for the rifle racks *where the rentals are now). I've also increased the rental inventory and plan on adding some S&W M&P's and additional Glocks on the fall.

John is still around as one of the NRA instructors.

Regards,
    Bob K.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast