Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sig p-229 ?

(Delaware County)

Default Sig p-229 ?

I am thinking about purchasing the p-229 could anyone give any positive or negatives about this model? I will most likely use for self defense and CC.
    I am thinking either 9mm or 40 just can't decide on caliber at this time but how does this model feel to you and how does it shoot? Any help or opinions would be great, thanks.And I already did a search of past post about the sig just could not find the answers am looking for.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Sig p-229 ?

I used to have one in .357SIG, but sold it when I got laid off. It is a great gun and the craftmanship is awesome. It was very accurate. I really like the looks of the 229 slide.

But it is a heavy gun. But if you are a SIGaholic, that won't bother you.

IMHO I'd rather carry a less complicated and lighter gun with more capacity, like a Glock.

BTW I still own one P220. And I do carry that from time to time.
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

(Chester County)

The 229 is a solid pistol. I have one in .40, with a set of CT grips and a X300, that is an excellent shooter. I use it as my bedside pistol, because for me it is a little to big and bulky for every day carry. I carry a 1911, which is perfect for me.

They are very accurate and reliable and I don't think you will be disappointed with one.

Hk and the M&P line are also nice pistols, give them a look too.

(Montgomery County)

I have a P229 .40S&W with the DAK (Double Action Kellermann) trigger that I use as my CCW in the fall and winter, or when I feel like I want something with bigger and more rounds than my P239 9mm.

Like Dave posted, it's a bit on the heavy side and with the double stack magazine, the grip is somewhat fat. I don't think it's too heavy, but there are many other lighter options available. The P229 was originally designed around the .40S&W caliber. The slide is milled out of a solid block of steel to handle the higher pressures of the .40 round.

If you are thinking of a Sig the same size as a P229 but chambered in 9mm, check out a P228. They are harder to come by as Sig is only making them is very limited quantitys (they recently released a bunch of railed P228's). The P228s' slide is lighter because it's made out of stamped (or folded) steel. IMHO, I think the P228 balances better than the P229 due to the somewhat lighter weight of the slide.

As far as reliably, the P229's are very good. The only ammo problem I ever had with my P229 DAK was with Fiocchi ammo, but my P229ST ate it up without any problems. As with any gun you plan on using for self defense, make sure your run at least 200 or so rounds of your carry ammo through it before you start carrying it.

P229's have been around for over 15 years so there are many different holsters available for them. Magazines are readily available - both used and from Sig. Used mags usually go for about $25.00 and new ones around $40.00.

IMHO, the P228 / P229 Sigs are the perfect size and weight for a self defense gun. They are large enough to be very accurate out to 15 to 20 yards, but too big to be easily carried and concealed.

Bye for a while, guard the fort. - My Dad

(Berks County)

I have one in two-tone finish.

Positives:
    Aesthetically clean
    Precision feel
    Extremely reliable
    Easy to field-strip and clean
    Accurate
    Powerful (in .40 S&W)
    Compact design, relative to other full-size semi-automatics
    Easy to find cheap, extra-capacity magazines
    Eats most .40 and para rounds without complaint
    Shells eject to the side (vs. at your head, cough*GLOCK*cough)
    Sig Arms warranty and support

Negatives:
    Expensive
    Top-heavy
    Has a fat grip

My recommendations
    1) get the .40 S&W, due to the greater stopping power relative to 9 para.
    2) get one with a tactical rail
    3) swap the stock grips for Hogue grips - recoil management is much easier

(Delaware County)

It looks like I will see the weight difference betwen them and other auto pistols and am looking at cost as they run a little more than say m&p, xd, and glocks, today I just might want to save a little $ for ammo and such but I was looking at the quality of the sigs but not takin nothing away from the manufactors I just mentioned it might come down to cost but who knows.

(Monroe County)

i have a p229 that is my daily carry gun, only pistol atm for that matter. i wouldn't trade it for the world. i don't see a problem with the weight, compared to the reliability and accuracy of this gun.i got it with night sights and right out of the box it was shooting dead on.

i have carried iwb for 12 years and most of my guns have been "full size compacts" except for a few. sig p245, *Springfield v-10 ultra compact, kahr k-9,
    *kahr mk-9, hk usp compact .40, hk p2000sk .40, sig p229 .40 (also have the .357 barrel), and soon a sig p220 carry elite dark .45 (if it EVER gets here, shut it rich!...lol!!!)

i have never found weight to be an issue, and gladly don't even consider it for the knowledge that my gun WILL work and WILL hit what im aiming at! Also have not yet found a round it will not eat.

as far as the thickness of the grips, ive only seen that to be a problem on the elites or equinox with the thick wood grips, the standard grips are thinner, and i have small hands. one poster was right though, get the hogue rubber wrap-arounds, i get them for every one. they're great! (tony tiger)
    Last edited by CHEMICAL; July 21st, 2009 at 12:41 PM.

(York County)

The P229 is really more of a service pistol than a CC weapon...but I CC mine as often as possible. I use both the Crossbreed Super Tuck IWB and a Galco OWB belt slide type, depends on wardrobe. Obviously much easier to carry during cooler wx. Mine is a P229R in .40s&w I got it at a considerable discount direct from Sigarms when they had thier military/ LEO offer two years ago.

I've had a few and still do. Get yourself a good belt and a better holster and the weight and bulk issues of the 229 tend to go away. Probably the best option is a Milt Sparks VM-2; it's better to spend once, cry once, and never again feel the need to experiment with insubstantial holsters again.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by dieselguy624 View Post
    The P229 is really more of a service pistol than a CC weapon...but I CC mine as often as possible. I use both the Crossbreed Super Tuck IWB and a Galco OWB belt slide type, depends on wardrobe. Obviously much easier to carry during cooler wx. Mine is a P229R in .40s&w I got it at a considerable discount direct from Sigarms when they had thier military/ LEO offer two years ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by King 5.45 View Post
    I've had a few and still do. Get yourself a good belt and a better holster and the weight and bulk issues of the 229 tend to go away. Probably the best option is a Milt Sparks VM-2; it's better to spend once, cry once, and never again feel the need to experiment with insubstantial holsters again.
    What they said!

I carry my P229 in a Galco CON250H OWB holster along with a Galco gun belt. A good holster and gun belt will spread the weight of the gun.

I really don't think that the P229 is too heavy.
    The main reason I don't carry my P229 in the warmer months is because of the grip being much thicker than the P239 (single stack mag). It's much easier to conceal the P239 when wearing a T-shirt.

Bye for a while, guard the fort. - My Dad

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast