Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Pike County)

Default Thoughts on this rifle rest?

I was looking at this rifle rest on Amazon: MTM K-Zone Shooting Rest

I am looking for an affordable shooting rest that can be used for zeroing rifles and pistols, has enough weight (Or compartments for adding weight) to handle the recoil of larger caliber rifles like .308, 30-06, 8mm, 7.62x54r, etc, can rest rifles with 30 round magazines and is adjustable for everything from short carbine length rifles up to real long rifles like the Mosin Nagant and M1 Rifle. Other suggestions are also welcomed. Thanks.
    Sanity, yours if you can keep it.....

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Thoughts on this rifle rest?

The front threads on that look to be too coarse. Fine threads would be much better.

For the price though,,,,, I could make something out of it. I could change that front bracket to a pipe thread with a little cutting and adapting. I'd probably think about a Cabela Led Sled before trying to do the adaptation though.

Their on sale for 99.99....

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Caldw...h-All+Products

I may buy one..... thanks for reminding me......

EDIT: and this one doesn't look too bad,,,,, http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/produ...AL%3BIK-229538
    Last edited by thundrr1; March 2nd, 2012 at 08:53 PM.
    George,
    So many guns, so little money.

Personally, if I were in the market for a rest I'd go with a Caldwell for it's metal construction. MTM products are plastic and whilst great for the little boxes and stuff they sell ( http://www.mtmcase-gard.com/ ), I'd want something sturdier for a rest, especially for shooting high power rifles off of.

"Designed to be the new standard in plastic rifle rest, eliminating the need for those old fashion heavy metal shooting rest."

I have not seen one in person nor have I tried one so they may well be more durable than I think they'd be.

(Lawrence County)

I have a Lead Sled and it's not bad.

Honestly, a good set of sandbags sees more use.

Lycancheapercanbebetterthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Centre County)

Lightbulb Re: Thoughts on this rifle rest?

http://www.midwayusa.com/Product/682...-shooting-rest

Add some shot bags filled with kiddy sand and GTG for on-the-cheap shooting. Or, add some hiking socks (2) filled with kiddy sand for even cheaper-on-the-cheap shooting. Needless to say, I am not a "benchrest shooter."

On a more PERSONAL note, I think having a rest that holds the gun for you in that manner is stealing a little marksmanship. Please, note the personal note.
    I don't watch shark week. Sharks watch FLICK week.

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by thundrr1 View Post
    The front threads on that look to be too coarse. Fine threads would be much better.

For the price though,,,,, I could make something out of it. I could change that front bracket to a pipe thread with a little cutting and adapting. I'd probably think about a Cabela Led Sled before trying to do the adaptation though.

Their on sale for 99.99....

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Caldw...h-All+Products

I may buy one..... thanks for reminding me......

EDIT: and this one doesn't look too bad,,,,, http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/produ...AL%3BIK-229538
    That's a sweet piece but it's about twice the amount I planned on spending, I was looking for something in the $50 range and that can be used for pistols too.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip W View Post
    Personally, if I were in the market for a rest I'd go with a Caldwell for it's metal construction. MTM products are plastic and whilst great for the little boxes and stuff they sell ( http://www.mtmcase-gard.com/ ), I'd want something sturdier for a rest, especially for shooting high power rifles off of.

"Designed to be the new standard in plastic rifle rest, eliminating the need for those old fashion heavy metal shooting rest."

I have not seen one in person nor have I tried one so they may well be more durable than I think they'd be.
    I'd really like to get a metal one but I don't have the $100+ for one.

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthrope View Post
    I have a Lead Sled and it's not bad.

Honestly, a good set of sandbags sees more use.

Lycancheapercanbebetterthrope
    With sandbags I am worried about stability and adjustability, would you have any suggestions for a set of sandbags that will do what I need?

Plus I need something with enough height so I can fire AR-15 and AK-47 style rifles with 30 round magazines attached.

Quote Originally Posted by FLICK View Post
    http://www.midwayusa.com/Product/682...-shooting-rest

Add some shot bags filled with kiddy sand and GTG for on-the-cheap shooting. Or, add some hiking socks (2) filled with kiddy sand for even cheaper-on-the-cheap shooting. Needless to say, I am not a "benchrest shooter."

On a more PERSONAL note, I think having a rest that holds the gun for you in that manner is stealing a little marksmanship. Please, note the personal note.
    That's an intriguing idea, I assume this rest would also be fine for zeroing in a pistol too? But what about a rest for the rear? I see this: Sand Bag and think I might need it to complete the setup? Also how would I go about adding weight to this device? I don't see mention of a compartment.

Me personally I am not a big fan of shooting from a rest but I need something to zero in my firearms initially. I have fun shooting at targets at 30-50 yards standing up. That's another reason I don't want to spend multiple hundreds of dollars on a setup because I question how often I would use such a device.
    Last edited by LifeInPa; March 3rd, 2012 at 12:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LifeInPa View Post
    With sandbags I am worried about stability and adjustability, would you have any suggestions for a set of sandbags that will do what I need?
    I got a set of the cheap sandbags from Walmart and just use the front bag. If I need to adjust the height I have a couple of pieces of wood cut off of a 2x4 that I stack accordingly. They might move a little on recoil but it's cheap enough that I can live with it.

A friend has a couple of winter mittens he bought on sale then filled them with sand and that does the trick for him.

Have used a Caldwell Rock Jr front rest and that works great too and is about 35 bucks.

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by LifeInPa View Post

Plus I need something with enough height so I can fire AR-15 and AK-47 style rifles with 30 round magazines attached.
    Sandbags are quite stable....but you need more than one. I typically build a base of 2-4 on the front with a single on top of that that I snug the forearm into. In the rear is a single/softer bag that you squeeze to adjust elevation.

30 round AR mags are high, but they can be used this way.

I gave up on rests a long time ago. A decent sandbag setup is rock solid.

Lycangetsome20roundmagsthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Clinton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthrope View Post
    Sandbags are quite stable....but you need more than one. I typically build a base of 2-4 on the front with a single on top of that that I snug the forearm into. In the rear is a single/softer bag that you squeeze to adjust elevation.

30 round AR mags are high, but they can be used this way.

I gave up on rests a long time ago. A decent sandbag setup is rock solid.

Lycangetsome20roundmagsthrope
    ^^^^^^ This^^^^^^

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast