Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Gun Transfer

(Westmoreland County)

Default Gun Transfer

Last summer my wife and I stopped at an estate sale. A couple of older ladies were selling their late fathers home and affects, they had set a table up and were accepting money for the items as you exited. The guy ahead of me had a box with several items, one looked to be an old Hopkins & Allen 22 rim fire revolver, as he was paying I mentioned don’t you need too have the handgun transferred. He gave me one of those mind your own business looks and proceeded to tell one of the ladies, this gun is too old to require the transfer and besides he has a License to carry and there for also not required, Along with some other BS. Not wanting to get into a confrontation I said no more. I know the gun may or may not have been legally transferred to the late father. But this is one of those times I think I should have challenged this guy, or at least told the old lady to check with an FFL before proceeding with the sale. What would you have done.

(Cambria County)

Default Re: Gun Transfer

Minded my own business....
    You can only draw so many lines in the sand before you are backed into a corner...

Minded my own business.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

(Jefferson County)

Pretty much mind my own business.

But a FYI - if the gun was made before 1898 it doesn't need to be "properly transferred".

The original "Hopkins & Allen" went bankrupt and out of business in 1898. They reformed as "Hopkins & Allen Arms Company" thereafter. So depending on which company it was actually made by, and when, it may not have required it.
    Last edited by knight0334; February 10th, 2012 at 06:29 PM.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!