Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Pike County)

Default Storing firearms/ammo in a hostile environment.

Long story short I got hit by an unexpected bill and it wiped out a good chunk of the money I set aside for a proper safe. It's going to be awhile before I recoup that money so I am trying to find a solution to circumvent this unexpected issue. It took me a few days but I remembered this spot in my home that isn't used and no one knows about but my family. I figured this is a great spot to store firearms since it's concealed and someone committing a smash/grab robbery won't have the time to find the spot. So I have been using this day preparing the space and setting it up to store the items I have in mind.

Then when I finished it hit me, this is a terrible environment for firearms. It has all the temperature extremes of an attic. Hot as a oven in the summer and beer can cold in the winter. Knowing this can I still use this space for firearm/ammo storage if the items are properly protected? With ammo I figured this is easy, buy a ammo can with a rubber gasket and throw some desiccant into it. What about my rifles though? Is it enough to through some desiccant into the carrying case or is more required? Thoughts? Suggestions? Any product suggestions would be welcomed too. Thanks for your time.

Edit: I was thinking something can be found on a surplus website that can meet my needs? I am sure they must have a chest large enough to hold my long-guns, fit into the opening to the space, cheap and has a gasket to keep the moisture out? Like the ammo I can throw some desiccant into the chest and forget about it.
    Sanity, yours if you can keep it.....

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Storing firearms/ammo in a hostile environment.

Here ya go: http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/BAG198-1.html

Throw a dessicant pack and maybe an oxygen absorber packet inside, and you should be good to go.

The other thing you could do if you have a foodsaver is get some of those Gunsocks, put each rifle in one and then vacuum seal them with your foodsaver. They make 11" wide bags, if you were to take the optics off and seal them separately, that would probably work.

The gun sock would be good to keep any sharp edges of the rifle from puncturing the bag and breaking the seal.
    Last edited by streaker69; January 28th, 2012 at 09:22 PM.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Here ya go: http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/BAG198-1.html

Throw a dessicant pack and maybe an oxygen absorber packet inside, and you should be good to go.
    Wow Streaker thank you for the suggestion, I love the price. One thing concerns me though, how is it sealed? It's not a vacuum seal deal is it because these are arms I plan on using monthly and I would prefer quick access. It seems a lot of people who used this product used tape to seal the bag. If that's all I need to do I can go for that.

(Monroe County)

The link that Streaker has shown is adequate for storage of the gun but ammo is sensitive to wide swings in temperature. Though I would check it for rust every six months just to be safe.
    It is best to keep ammo in a cool and dry environment. Temps ranging from freezing cold to high Summer heat in the 80's or 90's is not good for ammo, powder or primers. Better to keep ammo in your closet or sock drawer in a pinch. If the guns are well lubed, in sealed bags and not stored in a damp environment you should be good.

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by twoguns View Post
    The link that Streaker has shown is adequate for storage of the gun but ammo is sensitive to wide swings in temperature. Though I would check it for rust every six months just to be safe.
    It is best to keep ammo in a cool and dry environment. Temps ranging from freezing cold to high Summer heat in the 80's or 90's is not good for ammo, powder or primers. Better to keep ammo in your closet or sock drawer in a pinch. If the guns are well lubed, in sealed bags and not stored in a damp environment you should be good.
    That I can do. I would have preferred keeping the ammo concealed as it alludes to firearms on the premise.

(Indiana County)

I am going to be trying these bags:
    http://www.storeguns.com/corrosion-i...-corr-vci-bags

I have the ones Streaker linked to above, they work fine, but the ones above claim a longer "shelf" life.

VCI bags emit a chemical that coats the metal, the bags need not be airtight or have the air removed.
    Just roll the bag end and tape it shut.
    You want to get it so the chemical does not leech out, but being 100%airtight is not required for the bags to work. Just do the best you can.
    The more often you open them, the less effective they can be.

Still oil the guns before storing them.

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by 39flathead View Post
    I am going to be trying these bags:
    http://www.storeguns.com/corrosion-i...-corr-vci-bags

I have the ones Streaker linked to above, they work fine, but the ones above claim a longer "shelf" life.

VCI bags emit a chemical that coats the metal, the bags need not be airtight or have the air removed.
    Just roll the bag end and tape it shut.
    You want to get it so the chemical does not leech out, but being 100%airtight is not required for the bags to work. Just do the best you can.
    The more often you open them, the less effective they can be.

Still oil the guns before storing them.
    They're very expensive bags, nearly $100 a pop. For now I think I will take Streakers advice. Still I am concerned about the longevity of this bag because I am going to be accessing the contents once a month. Another option I have been considering is a surplus chest with a rubber gasket. I found one on the internet and I think the price is reasonable at $40: http://www.armysurpluswarehouse.com/...-box-3430.html. The dimensions are 12"x12"x48" I would think that's long enough for most rifles.

I am not purchasing my next rifle until my tax return comes so I got some time to think about this, at least I have a few options now. BTW when you say oil the firearm I assume you mean normally like when I clean it?
    Last edited by LifeInPa; January 29th, 2012 at 07:51 PM.

(Butler County)

Turn your couch upside down and stash one or two in there.
    Behind a dresser, under a dresser.
    Open a closet and hang one above the door on the inside.
    Suspended ceiling are good places.
    Take the bolts out if you can and hide separate. A gun's no good with out the bolt.
    Master bedrooms are the first place thieves go to, besides the medicine cabinet.
    Or get a heavy plastic coated steel cable and lock them to something that won't move. I use this in my vehicles.

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by bortle View Post
    Take the bolts out if you can and hide separate. A gun's no good with out the bolt.
    Master bedrooms are the first place thieves go to, besides the medicine cabinet.
    Or get a heavy plastic coated steel cable and lock them to something that won't move. I use this in my vehicles.
    Those are some smart idea's. I like the couch idea but how would you keep it from falling out onto the floor? I also considered mounting some L shaped metal brackets inside my closet above the door but I figured this trick might not fool them all. I wanted to just remove the bolts, lock them down and throw the rest of the firearm in a closet but they would probably still steal the firearm.

Quote Originally Posted by bortle View Post
    Hiding guns in plain sight works quite well. That's how mine are scattered through the house. The only one out in the open is no longer functional and its just a wall ornament.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast