Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default State of the current milsurp market?

Back in the 90's I was heavily into mil-surp firearms, and it seemed like every time you turned around something else was available. Swedish Mausers, Persian Mausers, Yugo Mausers, French MAS rifles, Enfields, (I still have some mummy wrapped no 4 mk II enfields laying around)...

I havent been able to keep up with what is available now..How is the current market compared to what was like back in the 90's?

Default Re: State of the current milsurp market?

The selection's a bit different, the selection's a tad smaller and thoroughly flooded with Mosins. What you'll notice is the market's a lot more homogeneous now than before. The major variation is a few dollars up or down in price, one seller might have post-war Walther P1s and another might have Polish P-64 pistols & Nagant revolvers.

Most of the Enfields & Swedes I've seen were imported 5 years ago and back, nothing recently.

I'm getting the impression all of the import guns we now see are coming from a small handful of overseas clearing houses, or possibly just one.

Information resources:

Sources (partial selection)

Last edited by PA Rifleman; January 16th, 2012 at 11:41 PM. Reason: update re: gun stock market
    Gloria: "65 percent of the people murdered in the last 10 years were killed by hand guns"
    Archie Bunker: "would it make you feel better, little girl, if they was pushed outta windows?"

http://www.moviewavs.com/TV_Shows/Al...he_Family.html

(Butler County)

I think the golden years are over. Lot's of cold war era 91/30's pretty cheap. Prices on every thing else is up. Persians are $269 with NO blueing, Swede's in "fair condition" $250. Cracked stock K31 for $269. Glad I bought my stuff when I did. Wish I would of bought more.

Quote Originally Posted by bortle View Post
    I think the golden years are over. Lot's of cold war era 91/30's pretty cheap. ...
    Don't lose sight of the woods through the trees. All those cold war weapons are cheap because the market's flooded with them. It was a similar deal right after W.W.II and all those pristine K98s, P-08s, P-38s and even M1 carbines. Cheap & everywhere, then they dried up.

Then collectors took interest.

Then the prices took off.

We're tired of the 91/30s because we see them everyday. And we experienced the Cold War. It won't be that way forever. Then, we (or our kids) will be pining for the days of $100 Mosins.
    Gloria: "65 percent of the people murdered in the last 10 years were killed by hand guns"
    Archie Bunker: "would it make you feel better, little girl, if they was pushed outta windows?"

http://www.moviewavs.com/TV_Shows/Al...he_Family.html

I picked My persian up (with matching bayonet) from Samco, I think for under $300.00...Ive got a few mausers, thats probably the nicest one.

As far as mosins go, Ive got two. A finnish and a russion. The russian Mosin is pretty well beat up (but it definitely saw action which is cool), I don't think the nicer ones were coming in yet when I picked this one up.

Whats the best place to get a nice mosin yet?

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by PA Rifleman View Post
    Don't lose sight of the woods through the trees. All those cold war weapons are cheap because the market's flooded with them. It was a similar deal right after W.W.II and all those pristine K98s, P-08s, P-38s and even M1 carbines. Cheap & everywhere, then they dried up.

Then collectors took interest.

Then the prices took off.

We're tired of the 91/30s because we see them everyday. And we experienced the Cold War. It won't be that way forever. Then, we (or our kids) will be pining for the days of $100 Mosins.
    You're right. I remember seeing crates of M44's for sale at the gun shows. They're all gone now. Someday those stacks of 91/30's will be gone too. Now I see bunches of Nagant pistols pretty cheap. In a while they'll be gone too.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by bortle View Post
    I think the golden years are over. .... Prices on every thing else is up. ...Glad I bought my stuff when I did. Wish I would of bought more.
    Same here. M1 carbines and Garands are insanely-priced these days. 20 years ago, you could barely give away an M1 carbine.