Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 34 of 35 FirstFirst ... 24303132333435 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: Mountain Lion sighting

From the little I know of it, it seems a long bushy tail is usually the basis of the "sighting". Is it possible that there are variants of bobcat with longer, bushy tails? The male cougar weighs up to 200 pounds, the female cougar up to 120. A bobcat of a weight less than 120 and having a bushier tail than normal would likely be mistaken for a cougar during a brief observation. Smaller body, slightly longer and bushier tail, giving a ratio having the appearance of a cougar.

Does this rehabilitate my post? Man, if I had a brain, I'd be dangerous!
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    From the little I know of it, it seems a long bushy tail is usually the basis of the "sighting". Is it possible that there are variants of bobcat with longer, bushy tails? The male cougar weighs up to 200 pounds, the female cougar up to 120. A bobcat of a weight less than 120 and having a bushier tail than normal would likely be mistaken for a cougar during a brief observation. Smaller body, slightly longer and bushier tail, giving a ratio having the appearance of a cougar.

It would still be significantly smaller than any couger. A large bobcat is 30-35lbs. I believe the biggest on record is under 50lbs. So it would look more like a cub, than an adult couger. I get what you're saying and it can be really hard to judge size at distance sometimes.

(Wayne County)

Some people wouldn*t know the difference between a bobcat, lynx, cougar or black panther if they were put in a cage with all 4.

We have had stories about black panthers for years. Several years ago I was mowing at the gun club when an animal spooked and shot out of the brush. When it turned to look at me there was something off with the face and ears. when it ran off there was no question that it was not a black panther. It ran like a weasel with that instead of a cat.

Question solved, it was a river otter smaller than a cougar but seen in a flash could be mistaken for a cat. Never realized that we had otters around here.
    Courage is being scared to death--but saddling up any way. John Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by R L Suehr View Post
    It would still be significantly smaller than any couger. A large bobcat is 30-35lbs. I believe the biggest on record is under 50lbs. So it would look more like a cub, than an adult couger. I get what you're saying and it can be really hard to judge size at distance sometimes.

If you have ever bear hunted, you know that a lone cub at any distance is difficult to distinguish as a juvenile with no other reference, especially if they are on the move. Bobcats are here in numbers and probably account for most "cougar" sightings.

(Schuylkill County)

I think it is more likely that people would mistake a cougar for voter fraud. Thousands of people have witnessed both of these things, but still no evidence exists.

Quote Originally Posted by eyecanshoot View Post
    I think it is more likely that people would mistake a cougar for voter fraud. Thousands of people have witnessed both of these things, but still no evidence exists.
    LMAO!

(Lancaster County)

Can you spot it?

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (UFWS) posted a photo on Facebook Tuesday, along with the caption: "Where's Waldo: Mountain lion in Washoe County, Nevada edition."
    Attachment 141355

(Bucks County)

First try I looked "into" the black hole and then scanned all around. Second look I saw it. Pretty cool. Imagine hiking and seeing that!
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

(Bucks County)

First try I looked "into" the black hole and then scanned all around. Second look I saw it. Pretty cool. Imagine hiking and seeing that!
    I*m glad PA doesn*t have these nor grizzly bears.

Page 34 of 35 FirstFirst ... 24303132333435 LastLast