Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: barrel jam

Unhappy barrel jam

Well, stupid me. I've heard it happening before. That won't ever happen to me, I thought. Well, cleaning your guns gotta be done properly, and that means don't rush it. I did. got a new .270 three days ago, went out to the range yesterday, and to clean it also got the Otis cleaning system. Being in kind of a hurry, I put the patch the kit supplies you with and it didn't get too far.
    It's a dry patch in there now, thought I'd put a couple drops of lubricatin oil behind it and try to push it back, but you all know what happened. Yep, nothing. Before I mess it up any more, anyone have any ideas? Taking it to the gunsmith seems to be the only alternative right now.

(Lawrence County)

Default Re: barrel jam

Nah, just buy a decent coated rod....and push it out from the breech. The Otis is no substitute for a cleaning rod.

Compressed air will also do it.

Lycangoget'emthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Jefferson County)

Hydraulic method. Its less likely to damage the rifling.

Remove the bolt and stand rifle muzzle up. You may need a second person to hold the rifle as you do this.

Unscrew the rod from the wad bit(if you cant, you may have to drive it out from the breech), fill the remaining barrel about 3/4 full of veggie oil, tranny fluid or hydraulic fluid. Make a piston out of wads that is a moderately tight fit, then us a solid brass or aluminum rod to tap on to drive the piston down and push out the stuck object.

Beware, you will have a mess to clean up when the object comes out. Have towels beneath or do it outside.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

(York County)

Follow Knight's advice. I used the same method to claera stuck patch from my Ar last year. You will have a serious mess on your table, I don't reccomend doing it on the kitchen table.

Dave
    3%

(Washington County)

Listen to Lycanthrope, he knows what he's talking about! Don't ask me how I know this

Oh what the hell. Lycan removed an Otis slotted tip and patch that I lodged 1" to 2" into my AR upper just last month. The flexible Otis rod traveled way too easy through my bore guide, then when I felt a little resistance, I yanked on it from the muzzle end with the T handle. Yeah, that was apparently the wrong thing to do. I totally freaked out when it happened and felt like a complete novice, but this thread in itself and knowing that it's happened to others is making me feel a lot better

FWIW, I now own a .17 caliber rod in case it happens again.
    I declare to you that woman must not depend upon the protection of man, but must be taught to protect herself, and there I take my stand. -- Susan B. Anthony, July 1871

(Delaware County)

blanks???? it would be fun to watch.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Chevmeister View Post
    blanks???? it would be fun to watch.
    yeah... watch them collect their fingers from their surroundings. lol
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

(Northampton County)

I know I'm not the only guy to retrieve stolen equipment from monkeys in trees by shooting cleaning rods at them with blanks

Cool Re: barrel jam

Problem fixed. I over reacted abit. All I had to do, was, I unscrewed the otis flex, pulled it out, from the breech I put a few drops of lube oil, let it soak awhile. Had a little dinner and when I came back, I put an alum rod down the muzzle and with 3 taps, it popped out. Lucky me, eh?

On a good note, the gun was the new Tikka T3 .270. And first time out on the range, after just putting a used scope on till I settle on what to buy new, and from 50 yrds out, (ran out of time to get to 100yrds), all three shots each time were touching, but about 3" directly low. With 2 adjustments, that gun is every bit what they say it is re: its accuracy. I am glad I got it, as I've been researching just what to get in a good bolt action rifle.

(Lawrence County)

Good deal. Those usually come out easy with a rod.

You want to be a couple inches low at 50 for a 100 yard zero in many cases.....depending on your scope height and bullet speed.

Lycanhappyendingthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast