Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: AR-15

(Wayne County)

Cool AR-15

Hi,
    I am a brand new member to this great looking club! Here we go, while cleaning out my basement I found a lower reciver for an AR-15 that I purchased about 25 years ago ( I totaly forgot I had it!!! ). It is marked PWA 5.56 cal. MM Commando Ser#0005xxxx. So my questions are obvious; how much is it worth? as far as quality goes where does it sit? what companies parts/kit is adaptable to it? how much would it cost me to put together a working mid-range AR-15 excluding optics. Thank you in advance......

Nicky

(Allegheny County)

(Northumberland County)

Default Re: AR-15

Quote Originally Posted by nicky 2665 View Post
    Hi,
    I am a brand new member to this great looking club! Here we go, while cleaning out my basement I found a lower reciver for an AR-15 that I purchased about 25 years ago ( I totaly forgot I had it!!! ). It is marked PWA 5.56 cal. MM Commando Ser#0005xxxx. So my questions are obvious; how much is it worth? as far as quality goes where does it sit? what companies parts/kit is adaptable to it? how much would it cost me to put together a working mid-range AR-15 excluding optics. Thank you in advance......

Nicky
    25 years ago? thats a pre ban lower reciever .... let us know how it goes when you built the AR with that lower reciever...

(Delaware County)

As far as I'm concerned, it's worth what any other quality used lower is worth.

It may be worth something more to those in states with "assault weapons" bans. I think in Jersey they had to be registered as "assault weapons" by a certain date though.
    Last edited by Suburban; April 29th, 2009 at 12:50 AM.
    Removed NRA Life Member pic. LaPierre and Chris Cox are ruining NRA.

(Wayne County)

Question Re: AR-15

I will gladly let you know when I put something together, my problem is I dont even know where to start....
    Nicky

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by nicky 2665 View Post
    I will gladly let you know when I put something together, my problem is I dont even know where to start....
    Nicky
    Pretty easy ...

Start looking for:

1. Lower Parts Kits (trigger, safety, etc all the little pieces that go in the lower)
    2. Stock with buffer tubes

That will basically complete the "lower"

For the uppper:
    1. Upper receiver
    2. barrel
    3. Bolt Carrier Group
    4. Hand guards/Free Float tubes
    5. Any sights that are needed

Then all you really need are mags and ammo

eta:
    Some of that stuff is really hard to find right now, but it really depends on what your looking for. Also, might have missed some misc small pieces but it really depends on how you buy the stuff I.E. complete upper vs. all the pieces.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

(Wayne County)

Mojo,
    Thanks for the info can you tell me what companies parts are compatable with my PWA lower reciver? or do any uppers, or lower parts fit?
    Nicky

(Montgomery County)

any lower parts kit will work.

If I had a PWA receiver that was ~25yo I would check to see what it was manufactured as. 25 years is awfully close to 1986 and you might have a pre-MG ban registered receiver.

I could be completely wrong as I have no class III experience but it might be worth checking out.

also if you check out the build it yourself forum over on ar15.com there are some very good guides to assembling your own lower. It is pretty simple process and fun.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by woodsk View Post
    any lower parts kit will work.
    Correct ... any LPK/upper/etc will work. They are all interchangeable

Quote Originally Posted by woodsk View Post
    If I had a PWA receiver that was ~25yo I would check to see what it was manufactured as. 25 years is awfully close to 1986 and you might have a pre-MG ban registered receiver.

I could be completely wrong as I have no class III experience but it might be worth checking out.

also if you check out the build it yourself forum over on ar15.com there are some very good guides to assembling your own lower. It is pretty simple process and fun.
    WRONG ... please don't do that. 10+ yrs in Federal prison is not good. For it to be able to become a transferable MG, it would have had to been registered as a MG before the ban. If it was never built up, I can almost guarantee that it wasn't.

What you do have is a Pre-Ban (pre 1994 ban) lower. Some states like NJ and NY I believe, require you to have a pre-ban lower to have an AR in that state. But you would have to check the specific laws because they are not the same. As Suburban said ... it might need to be register for it to work in NJ.
    Last edited by mojo; April 29th, 2009 at 04:42 PM. Reason: spelling
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

(Montgomery County)

Not entirely relevant since you're in PA, but you can have a post-ban AR in NY, it just needs to conform to the ban restrictions if the receiver was manufacturer after 1994 (no adjustable stock, etc).

I have a brand new post-ban receiver I'd be willing to trade if you're interested. I'm in NY for the moment and would rather be able to build a pre-ban AR than a post-ban. I'm driving to VA saturday, if you're at all partial to the idea, I can meet you along the way.