Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Juniata County)

Default Breastfeeding Campaign Posters Stir Debate or Guns in privately own public spaces

https://shine.yahoo.com/parenting/br...190307806.html

Frequently "private property rights" are cited as (IMO) an excuse for allowing business open to the public to ban lawfully carried firearms.

I would submit that you replace breasts with firearm as you read the article. Discuss.

A student ad campaign supporting pro-public-breastfeeding legislation in Texas is causing a stir online this week with its provocative images of women nursing their babies in public toilet stalls.

More on Shine: 'Breastmilk' Doc Illuminates Joys, Struggles of Breastfeeding

“Private dining. Would you eat here?” asks the text of one of poster, which features a photo of a young mother breastfeeding her infant while perched on the lid of a public toilet. Two other images in the series, of different mom-baby pairs, ask, “Bon appétit. Would you eat here?” and “Table for two. Would you eat here?”
    The campaign, called "When Nurture Calls," is the work of University of North Texas graphic-art majors Johnathan Wenske and Kris Haro, both juniors. They decided to take on the polarizing issue of public breastfeeding for an assignment that required students to design a campaign for a social issue or product, as if it were being created for actual paying clients.
    The first image, posted on Facebook by blogger Mama Bean on May 3 has more than 12,800 likes and 8,000 shares, generating a lengthy stream of comments ranging from supportive to insulting — including a woman calling public nursing "trashy" and a man objecting to women baring their "sex objects." The negativity even led one of the moms in the ads (seen above) to take to Facebook to defend herself.
    More on Yahoo: Vaccine Education Programs May Not Work As Hoped
    Some early comments personally attacked photo model Monica Young (who posed with her baby) for being everything from indecent to too young to be a mom. That prompted her to post, "I get more sexual comments than anything. So yeah, it’d be pretty great not to have any nasty comments made while I’m feeding my child, with or without a cover." She adds, "Whether I was a too young or not, what does it matter what age I am? Teen moms breastfeed, too. I'm 21, so yeah I'm pretty young, and younger mothers are less likely to breastfeed. So hopefully it will encourage younger mothers to breastfeed, breastfeed in public and to not be ashamed to do any of it."

Wenske and Haro, both 20, say they chose the topic while researching issues online and coming across the story of a woman harassed in a Texas Target for breastfeeding in 2011. “We thought that was totally messed-up,” Wenske tells Yahoo Shine.

They were further inspired by learning about a state bill, introduced last year by Texas state Rep. Jessica Farrar, which sought to strengthen the state’s existing public-breastfeeding law by bringing in an enforcement statute. It would have essentially protected moms who nurse in public from being stopped or harassed. The bill died in last year’s legislative session, but a Farrar spokesperson tells Yahoo Shine that the office intends to reintroduce the idea in January 2015.

Photo: Johnathan Wenske/Kris Haro
    Public breastfeeding laws do exist in most states, but — with the exception of a handful, including Connecticut, Vermont, and New Jersey — they have no enforcement provisions. This means various authorities are not accountable for their actions against breastfeeding moms. Those actions typically involve asking a nursing mom to cover up, head to a restroom, stop nursing altogether, or leave the premises, as has been recently reported in places such as a Chick-fil-A restaurant in Tennessee, an American Airlines flight, and a Connecticut courtroom.

People divided on the issue tend to spar from opposite ends of the spectrum — believing that nursing is natural and should be welcome anywhere, or that, because there is an exposed breast involved, nursing is a crude action best relegated to private spaces.

The issue is briefly touched upon in a new documentary, “Breastmilk,” co-produced by Ricki Lake, which explores the challenges of breastfeeding for new moms. “I’m a shy person, so therefore I get shy around people who are exposed,” one man, Mitch, explains in the film about his perspective. “I know it’s all in my mind, because of a lifetime of never seeing it. I have an issue that I have any embarrassment attached to it, that’s all. I find it one hundred percent acceptable.”
    The more than 2,200 Facebook comments on the campaign were mostly passionately supportive of the campaign’s message, though plenty took the other side. "As a mother who breastfed, I disagree. I PERSONALLY think breastfeeding in public shouldn't be allowed," wrote one woman. "The rude comments people make are uncalled for, but having your boob out in public is trashy. Women shouldn't be comfortable having their goodies shown to everyone and their brother." Another mom warned that you never know what "weirdos" are watching you nurse, while others said that breasts were "sex organs."

Others stressed modestly more gently. “I am all for women breastfeeding in public — I breastfed — but why can't we cover up?” asked one mother. Others rejected that idea, though, including one mom who wrote, “Why is it considered to be disrespectful of others to not use a cover? What about being respectful to these babies? Throwing a hot blanket or cover over their faces and not letting them see mom while eating is disrespectful to them.”

Another noted, “I have yet to see a woman breastfeeding that I even notice she’s breastfeeding. Most of the time it looks like a mom cuddling her child. So if you have a problem with it, the problem is you’re staring.”

Seeing the huge response to their work on Facebook was a bit of a shock for Wenske and Haro. “We know people in our families who [have breastfed in public], but I never knew it was actually that hot of a topic,” says Haro, who did the photography for the project. “We never expected so many comments.”
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Breastfeeding Campaign Posters Stir Debate or Guns in privately own public spaces

I have to say not wanting to see a gun out in public is the slightest bit more understandable than not wanting to see a mother breastfeeding. I CANNOT understand how this could offend anyone...its a mother feeding her child.

___________ is ok as long as you keep it hidden...flawed logic IMO

(Berks County)

Default Re: Breastfeeding Campaign Posters Stir Debate or Guns in privately own public spaces

What ever happened to staying home when kids are that young? Back in my day the new parents didn't have the money to eat out even if they wanted to. Cars are a risk I think people don't give a thought to. Car accidence claim more lives by far than bullets ever will. Still, without a thought, in the car they go. What is far worse is some companies still sell baby oil. No one cares! Try selling wale oil and watch them come out of the wood work with signs and protests.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    What ever happened to staying home when kids are that young? Back in my day the new parents didn't have the money to eat out even if they wanted to. Cars are a risk I think people don't give a thought to. Car accidence claim more lives by far than bullets ever will. Still, without a thought, in the car they go. What is far worse is some companies still sell baby oil. No one cares! Try selling wale oil and watch them come out of the wood work with signs and protests.
    So.... If they can then why shouldn't they? Today isn't back in your day. Why should anyone be forced to stay home to appease the delicate sensitivities of those who can't handle the sight of a natural human method of feeding an infant?

Not sure if you're serious, joking, or trolling. Either way..... Really?

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Totez View Post
    So.... If they can then why shouldn't they? Today isn't back in your day. Why should anyone be forced to stay home to appease the delicate sensitivities of those who can't handle the sight of a natural human method of feeding an infant?

Not sure if you're serious, joking, or trolling. Either way..... Really?
    I was joking, I figured people would have to know that, that's part of the joke " baby oil". As to the first part. They should stay home rather then needlessly exposing the infant to cars more than they need to be, as in going to the doctor. You might not look at it this way, but it is selfish to drag the child out because you need a restaurant experience. God forbid you do have an accident and the child is killed or messed up for life, is the meal worth it? Does a breast feeding child enjoy restaurants? Or would the prefer thier home? The reason why is that people should put thier child first. I think asking people to consider others first, especially strangers in a restaurant is far beyond today's generation realm of possible thought. Fuck 'em, right? The deal isn't Woemen's breasts or babies sucking them that's offensive. It's the lack of concern shown to little Johnny and his needs. Nap time? Screw that I'm hungry. See I related the story of the past because yes then money was short and people couldn't indulge themselves, but the point is they weren't missing out, because the would not have gone if they had the money because they 1, put the child first and 2, put others ahead of self, because people knew shame. Today people know no shame. I know, screw me, your hungry. <- see I made the jokey face so people know I'm being sarcastic and laughing at myself. I don't mind breast feeding and will gladly watch any chance I get. I don't like crying or screaming brats or food handlers with the plague. ( no joke here )

(Erie County)

I was joking, <snipped for space>
    The rest of what was snipped is a joke as well. Seriously, keep the baby out of a car, for fear of an accident. People knew shame, but no more (this one was really funny). Why not ban teething babies from all public spaces (more annoying than an infant sucking at the teat), then do the same with children until the brats learn manners.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

(Tioga County)

Guns and boobies. Two of my favorite things.

I have no problems with women breastfeeding in public and those I've seen do it discreetly without make a spectacle of it. A woman sitting next to me on public transportation did it.

I think most people wouldn't even notice just as the majority of folks don't notice when I'm OCing.

It is healthy and natural.
    MikeP

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by priell3 View Post

I think most people wouldn't even notice just as the majority of folks don't notice when I'm OCing.

It is healthy and natural.
    ^^^this.

I saw a woman sitting on a bench feeding her baby at a Phillies game last month. I only noticed because I was looking for a place to sit with my food and so I was looking at people at tables trying to figure out who was ready to get up. Otherwise I am sure I never would have noticed. I was not offended or made uncomfortable in any way.

(Allegheny County)

I agree that you should have no issue carrying openly or breastfeeding openly in public. I also believe in freedom but also freedom for private property owners.

Maybe if people showed a little discretion instead of wining about their rights when on someone else's private property those property owners would not set such sweeping restrictions.
    "No, it's just a machine. I'm the weapon." - Jack Harper in Oblivion

What ever happened to staying home when kids are that young?
    Seriously? Docs want babies back in their offices 2 days after they come home from the hospital.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast