Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Dog attacks sheriff in Chester County.... and is not shot

http://www.delcotimes.com/general-ne...er-to-be-cited

Figured I would post a story about an official who chose not to shoot a dog that was attacking him. His reasoning: “He said he didn’t want to shoot the dog because it could have been a family pet,” Welsh noted."

WALLACE – The Chester County SPCA will cite the owner of a Great Pyrenees guard dog after it attacked and bit a Chester County deputy sheriff who was serving court papers in a civil lawsuit against its owner Thursday, according to county Sheriff Carolyn “Bunny” Welsh.

The dog ran at Cpl. Kurt Hansen and bit him multiple times, first on the upper left arm and then on his leg, as Hansen entered the property on Devereux Road to serve the summons. Although Hansen drew his firearm, he did not shoot at the dog, and he and one of the dog’s owners were eventually able to control the animal.

Welsh, in reporting the incident, said that the SPCA had ordered the dog – which weighs more than 100 pounds and is bred to guard livestock – placed under quarantine for 10 days for health reasons, and planned to issue a criminal citation to the owner for failing to control the animal.

She said that her office intended to honor Hansen’s actions in the case with a special citation, and noted how the attack illustrates how her deputies must be on guard whenever and wherever they go to serve court documents.

“I think he showed terrific restraint,” Welsh said in an interview in her office at the county Justice Center on Friday. “It could have been a lot more of a tragedy, for him, for the dog, and for the dog’s owner. But he was very professional.

“He said he didn’t want to shoot the dog because it could have been a family pet,” Welsh noted.

The incident occurred about 2:50 p.m. on Thursday when Hansen drove to the rural home in the 300 block of Devereux Road in Glenmoore to serve the civil notice of a lawsuit naming a man who lives at the property. He said when he arrived, he could see a young child playing in the yard of the house, which had signs warning “No Trespassing,” and “Beware of Dog” at the driveway.

Because he had never been to the property before, he honked his horn several times to get attention from the homeowner. No one responded, and he said he saw the child walk into the backyard. When he walked up the driveway toward the house, however, he heard a dog barking and saw the Great Pyrenees running at him.

Hansen, a nine-year veteran of the sheriff’s office, reported that he backed away, but that the dog jumped on him and bit him in the upper arm. He was then able to draw his firearm, and grab the dog by the throat and attempt to push it off.

A woman came out of the house and began yelling at the dog to stop, and Hansen said he screamed at her to control the animal, according to his report. When the deputy forced the dog to the ground, it bit his lower left leg twice.

“Believe it or not, he was still able to serve the (complaint) and then drive himself to the hospital,” Welsh said. He was treated at Chester County Hospital for the puncture wounds, given antibiotics, and released.

“This was an attack,” Welsh said on Friday. “It wasn’t just a bite. You can’t just let a dog not be under control. It shows the dangers that deputies face whenever they go out into the field. You never know who’s behind the door, or in the yard.”
    Last edited by internet troll; April 4th, 2014 at 02:48 PM.

(York County)

Default Re: Dog attacks sheriff in Chester County.... and is not shot

Dang it - that is one tough LEO and a very considerate one (concerned about it being someone's pet).
    "A free people ought to be armed." - George Washington (January 17th, 1790)
    Criminals obey "gun control" laws in the same manner politicians follow their oaths of office!
    ..: TO SERVE AND PROTECT! Positive Stories :..

Is this from the onion?

Now thats what you call a well trained sheriff (in that respect) or he just has a heart.

Well done, and earns the utmost respect!
    "North of I-80, we don't dial 911, we dial 223"

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    Is this from the onion?

Now thats what you call a well trained sheriff (in that respect) or he just has a heart.
    Nope, true story!
    Jimmy cracked corn and HE didn't care! Why should I?

(Chester County)

Bunny Welsh is one of the best, and a staunch 2A supporter.

(Juniata County)

Props to the officer.

However; I'm not sure the owner of the dog should be charged. At no point did the deputy present documentation to the dog, or in anyway inform the animal he was not defiantly trespassing. The whole incident could have been avoided with a phone call.

Seriously. The animal was in is own yard; and a strange man enters that yard. The dog was protecting the child. Dog right; deputy wrong...I'm glad he did not murder the dog.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    Is this from the onion?

Quote Originally Posted by Pilot321 View Post
    Bunny Welsh is one of the best, and a staunch 2A supporter.
    Right on! So glad I am in ChesCo.

Quote Originally Posted by PAMedic=F|A= View Post
    I'm not sure the owner of the dog should be charged. At no point did the deputy present documentation to the dog, or in anyway inform the animal he was not defiantly trespassing. The whole incident could have been avoided with a phone call.
    I agree, it does say the SPCA is citing the owner...Not sure what that really means???

I love how everybody on here wants dogs to be able to attack and tear people to shreds and get off completely scott free. Most would probably be singing a different tune if it was their kid or relative that wandered into a yard by accident or just doing their job and got chewed up by a 100 pound "guard dog" hell bent on destroying something with its teeth.

(Chester County)

I support bunny 100% but deputy walked onto private property with a large dog obviously loose. Dog did what it is supposed to do. He should have waited for the owner to come out and get the dog. This wasn't an occasion for a dynamic entry or urgent need to serve summons in seconds. This was a domestic issue.
    Nonetheless kudos to the deputy for not shooting a family pet no matter how big.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast