Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Washington County)

Default HK Armorer Needed

Long story short. I foolishly believed that because I can detail strip my Glock, I could probably also detail strip my HK USP .45 (using a walk through I found at hk-pro forums.)

Before long, it became evident that I was in over my head, so I abandoned the plan and began to rebuild. Only one problem with that, the pieces won't fit, and the pictures in the walk through just aren't helping.

Luckily I didn't get too involved before I decided to stop myself. If I could only get the control latch and catch back in the hammer assembly I would be golden... but I can't. The trigger bar is somehow right in the way.

Does anyone know of any certified HK armorers in the Southwest PA area, or have any idea of how to find an HK armorer? I need someone to put my pistol back together.
    Last edited by marinville; August 24th, 2009 at 08:06 PM.

(Washington County)

Default Re: HK Armorer Needed

Well, if anyone's keeping tabs: I decided to quit being a pussy and just take the damn thing the rest of the way apart. At this point I'm hopeful that the trigger bar actually was just in the wrong place. When I removed the trigger bar and trigger bar detent it seemed as if they may have become dislodged from their proper spot. (for lack of better words)

At this point the frame of the pistol is completely disassembled, And tomorrow I will work on putting it back together one step at a time. One thing that has me concerned is that the walk through shows a spring at the bottom of the hammer which I don't see on mine. I'm afraid I may have lost it, though I can't even see where it would have gone, and I was never aware of any parts being dropped. I'm hoping my model is slightly different from the one in the walk through. Tomorrow, we'll see.

If I succeed at getting the frame functional, I would like to detail strip the slide, removing the firing pin and extractor. But I may hold off because I have a feeling that the drift pins holding those parts in place may deform when removed. The walk through I have does caution against removing them, though it does not mention why. Still, I would really like to be able to clean the firing pin and cavity.

(York County)

good job on the DIY, wish I could help you out.

P.S. after putting it all back together, go to the range and make sure all is well before using it as a carry gun!
    Last edited by YBNORMAL; August 25th, 2009 at 12:47 AM. Reason: added info
    The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities.
    Ayn Rand

(Allegheny County)

This is where I'd start.

http://www.hk-usa.com/warranty.asp

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by GuyMontag View Post
    This is where I'd start.

http://www.hk-usa.com/warranty.asp

Well, considering that disassembling the pistol beyond field stripping voids the warranty, I don't believe I'll be getting much help from that link.

I'm going to clean and (hopefully) reassemble the pistol right now.

(Erie County)

please send me a PM with your email address. I may have something that can help You won't see anything until at least tomorrow.

Word of caution about the punched pins - some SHOULD only be used once, meaning if you punch them out they stay out. Safety and function concerns pins could walk out since they are not tight - pins are larger than the holes and are form fitted when driven in (roll pin or fluted)

(Washington County)

Well, I just reassembled the pistol successfully. I'm happier than a pig in shit. I ran all the safety checks that I could with the gun field stripped and everything functioned flawlessly. I can't run any further checks right now because I can't reassemble the field stripped pistol due to my guide rod / spring assembly being away at HK for warranty repair. (I discussed this in another thread and I can provide a link if anyone is curious, in the interest of time saving, I'll just leave it at that for now)

I am very confident that the pistol has been successfully rebuilt and I now feel like I understand the pistol better and would be able to detail strip it again if I wish to do so in the future. I can't wait to get the guide rod back from HK so I can finish the safety checks and head to the range.

Quote Originally Posted by bogleman View Post
    please send me a PM with your email address. I may have something that can help You won't see anything until at least tomorrow.

Word of caution about the punched pins - some SHOULD only be used once, meaning if you punch them out they stay out. Safety and function concerns pins could walk out since they are not tight - pins are larger than the holes and are form fitted when driven in (roll pin or fluted)
    Thank you for your advice about the pins. I was concerned that something like that would be the case (the pins not being re-usable.)

I'm shooting you a pm now.

(Erie County)

glad you got things back together, still sent you an email(s)

The slide is much easier to dissassemble/reassemble than the frame. Wait until you get the extractor out, you wont believe how much shit builds up under there. The only tricky part is getting the firing pin block to hook up with the firing pin correctly. I've reused the roll pins a few times after taking them out and never had any problems, I'd just make sure they go back in with some decent resistance, or if you really want the peace of mind order new ones.

(Washington County)

My guide rod came back from hk yesterday so I was able to fully assemble the pistol and all the saftey and functionality tests checked out a-ok.

Quote Originally Posted by swiftwrx06 View Post
    The slide is much easier to dissassemble/reassemble than the frame. Wait until you get the extractor out, you wont believe how much shit builds up under there. The only tricky part is getting the firing pin block to hook up with the firing pin correctly. I've reused the roll pins a few times after taking them out and never had any problems, I'd just make sure they go back in with some decent resistance, or if you really want the peace of mind order new ones.

Thanks for that information. I believe I will be disassembling the slide tomorrow.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast