Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Pittsburgh (Mt. Washington), Pennsylvania
    (Allegheny County)

Default shot shell reloader

Hi all,

My two sons and I are now officially addicted to shotgunning. This summer we got a very nice Do-All clay thrower (these things work as advertised) and boy are we going through the shells.

Time to start reloading.

Does anyone have any suggetions on a press etc. I am willing to spend for good product, but don't know one manufacturer from the other.

All help is appreciated.

JROD

(Blair County)

Default Re: shot shell reloader

The shotshell reloading market is pretty much dominated by “ MEC “. I am quoting wholesale prices: The 600JR, $115 for a single caliber, $47 to convert. Single stage, works very well. SIZEMASTER, $174 for a single caliber, $70 to convert. 650PROGRESSIVE, $229 for a single caliber, no conversions. A progressive press, does not resize, manual index. 8567PROGRESSIVE $323 for a single caliber, no conversions. Every pull of the handle makes a loaded round. The 9000G GRABBER, $389 top of the line. Every one of these is a complete kit and will load a single size shell. Most, but not all will do 3 or 3½ shells. Some of the low end will not resize, I think that’s required, but some don’t. You will need primers, powder, wads and shot as well. If you ever have a reason to pass through Ebensburg on Rt. 22, CAC Associates, Inc. is the BEST place to buy reloading components. EVERYTHING is in stock, and a VERY GOOD prices.
    Steve Wagner

Pittsburgh (Mt. Washington), Pennsylvania
    (Allegheny County)

I will check them out. I know the area well, grew up in Altoona, whent to college at St. Francis. I am back that way oftern.

BTW, what do you think about Dillon SL 900 or the Hornady 366?

I have 5 Sizemasters and a 600 Jr. and am very happy with them. I started using a Lee and it was good, just a little slow but when working at it I could do 100 rounds in an hour. I like the Sizemasters because I like to check each stage and they are as fast as I want to be. With them I'll do 100 to 120 rounds in an hour and not be rushing. Check Midway (midwayusa.com) for current pricing. I don't like the conversion kits. I think it's a pain in the a$$ to change. If you'er just getting started and want to see if it's for you, you can get the Lee for around $40, the 600 Jr for $136.99 and the Sizemaster is $206.99 (just looked them up). You'll need a manual, Lyman makes the best with Hodgdon next, primers, Winchester 209, wadds, Claybusters, and powder. Get the books first to find out what powders you want to use. It's a lot of fun and you will have questions, so ask.

(Allegheny County)

Not to throw a wet towel on this topic but, only reload if you want to see what its about or you want it for a hobby. You'll not save any money by reloading with the current price of lead, unless you make your own shot and have a source for free lead. I gave up reloading back when the price of 25lbs of shot hit $40. BTW, my MEC setup is for sale, PM me if you want it cheap!
    Toujours prêt

Hawk has a good point about saving money if you only do 12 and 20ga. But factory ammo is going up to. I load for 12, 16, 20, 28 and both .410's so reloading saves me money. Normal load for a 12ga is 1 1/8 oz of shot. You can cut that back to a 1 oz target load and still bust clays. Using reloaded target loads brings the cost down and you can shoot more. Plus it's a great hobby.

Quote Originally Posted by Jrod View Post
    I will check them out. I know the area well, grew up in Altoona, whent to college at St. Francis. I am back that way oftern.

BTW, what do you think about Dillon SL 900 or the Hornady 366?
    I have MEC 600jr and its slow about 4 boxes an hour (100 rounds). Its works good . If i get back into clays heavy again I will get a Dillon SL 900
    I dont own a dillon SL 900 I own other dillon stuff and NEVER EVER regreded buying any of them. I load up most of the stuff I shoot. With a NO_BS warrenty how can you go wrong . I have talked to 2 guys that have them 500 to 650 per hour pending on how tired they are.