Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    York City Pharmaceutical District, Pennsylvania
    (York County)

Default York City - Early Morning Standoff Ends Peacefully

Early morning standoff in city ends peacefully
    Daily Record/Sunday News
    Updated: 07/18/2009 01:39:15 PM EDT

Members of the York County Quick Response Team converge on a house in the 100 block of North West Street during an early morning standoff Saturday. (DAILY RECORD / SUNDAY NEWS -- JASON PLOTKIN)

Police take a man into custody Saturday morning after a standoff in York. (DAILY RECORD / SUNDAY NEWS -- JASON PLOTKIN)

There was a peaceful end to an early morning standoff today in York city.

Police responded to the 100 block of North West Street about 4 a.m. for a shots fired call, York City Police Capt. Wes Kahley said.

Once there, they saw a Fileman Hernandez standing on a porch with a shotgun, according to police. After police ordered him to surrender the gun, Hernandez ran into the house, Sgt. Craig Losty said.

When it arrived, the York County Quick Response Team removed several people, both adults and children, from the house, Losty said. They told police Hernandez had been drinking "for an extended period of time."

Police entered the home shortly before 7:15 a.m.

"Once we entered the house, he came down the stairwell and surrendered," Losty said. "He looked disheveled."

No charges had been filed in the standoff as of this morning.

Check back for more details as information becomes available

Default Re: York City - Early Morning Standoff Ends Peacefully

Saw that in the paper. What first came to my mind is, why is York City PD wearing woodland camo? There are no wooded areas in the city. Why do they want to look like the Army? They should just wear navy blue and be happy with it. I know a few York cops, and they're mostly pretty decent. This photo just makes the QRT look like thugs, in my mind.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by BSH View Post
    Saw that in the paper. What first came to my mind is, why is York City PD wearing woodland camo? There are no wooded areas in the city. Why do they want to look like the Army? They should just wear navy blue and be happy with it. I know a few York cops, and they're mostly pretty decent. This photo just makes the QRT look like thugs, in my mind.

Good point, however, this is the York County Quick Response team.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by BSH View Post
    The York County Quick Response Team (QRT) is a SWAT team made up of police officers from 8 area police departments and the York County Sheriff's Department. They are not your average patrol officers that just dress-up in camo.
    Each officer must have at least three years on the job and be recommended by his chief to be considered for QRT. Each new QRT officer must pass physical and psychological tests (beyond what is required to be a police officer) and must successfully complete the Baltimore County SWAT School.
    Each officer must pass quarterly weapons qualifications and they are trained at and by some of the best instructors and schools in the country. They train together at least once a month and, along with the Negotiation Response Team (NRT), do full-blown scenarios three-four times a year.
    I know all but the three newest team members personally (will probably meet them at this month's training cycle) and they are all not only good cops, but guys I would trust with my life any day (and I have, during live-fire training).

(Adams County)

Quote Originally Posted by jpavoncello View Post
    They are not your average patrol officers that just dress-up in camo.
    That might be well and good and I'm sure they're no desk jockeys, but really...why woodland camo? Why not winter camo? Why not desert camo? Why not treebark? Or nighttime, tigerstripe, etc? Or the old green fatigues?

The point is, it's a friggin city block...it makes no sense to wear woodland camo unless you're trying to portray a military image. They're not military, they're police. Wear black or something the military doesn't.

Nobody should look at the police and think 'military', and that's exactly what this pattern does.

camper
    It's the 2nd Amendment that protects all others

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by camper View Post
    That might be well and good and I'm sure they're no desk jockeys, but really...why woodland camo? Why not winter camo? Why not desert camo? Why not treebark? Or nighttime, tigerstripe, etc? Or the old green fatigues?

The point is, it's a friggin city block...it makes no sense to wear woodland camo unless you're trying to portray a military image. They're not military, they're police. Wear black or something the military doesn't.

Nobody should look at the police and think 'military', and that's exactly what this pattern does.

camper
    So, on top of their regular duties, and the 75 pounds of ballistic armor, helmet and weapons they have to carry around with them in case of a call-out, now you want them to carry six different sets of uniforms just so they don't look "military" to you. I can just hear that dispatch.

"QRT, we have a hostage situation at Club XS in the city, the uniform of the day is going to be a pink and purple camo, leather chaps and lip liner."

They use woodland camo because they are just as likely to be called out to a standoff/hostage situation at a farm in Codorus Township as they are to situation in downtown York. Besides the fact that the woodland camo pattern is useful in most of our suburbs, wearing woodland camo separates the team from the patrol officers and others on the scene. They wear camo because it is a tactical advantage, not because they are trying to look military.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by camper View Post

camper
    Maybe it was something the department could afford? New SWAT gear is not cheap! So maybe they got a deal on this stuff that they could not pass up.
    Stop freaking bashing the cops! Sure some are bad eggs (like with anything) but if you've made it to the SERT/SWAT teem your one of the good guys, much better trained then you or me, and willing and ready to put their life on the line for your sorry ass...
    Semper Fi

(York County)

I vote for tigerstripe. I think it's the coolest camo pattern ever developed, and that it would be useful in standoffs at houses where people refused to cut the grass for a long time.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by jpavoncello View Post

1.) "QRT, we have a hostage situation at Club XS in the city, the uniform of the day is going to be a pink and purple camo, leather chaps and lip liner."

2.) They wear camo because it is a tactical advantage, not because they are trying to look military.
    1.) funny

2.) funnier

(Monroe County)

The Army doesn't wear woodland camo anymore, so they save money on cheap unforms that will be excess for years to come. As long as they don't saddle them with ACU, digital pattern that doesn't blend in with anything but a couch I saw on the web. What they wear isn't as important as how they do their jobs and carry themselves.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast