Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: RRA LAR-10

(Lehigh County)

Default RRA LAR-10

Does anybody know of a dealer on the Eastern half of the state that stocks/plans to stock the new LAR-10? And does anybody have experiance with the AR10 platform in terms of reliability and/or accuracy potential of the basic design, i.e. does it have the same strengths/weaknesses of the AR15 platform or it's own set? And lastly, can you hunt with a semiauto in PA?
    John: How come I'm not afraid?
    D'Argo: Fear accompanies the possibility of death. Calm shepherds its certainty.
    John: I love hanging with you, man.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: RRA LAR-10

Quote Originally Posted by junyo View Post
    And lastly, can you hunt with a semiauto in PA?
    no, you cannot....it is illegal.

i don't have any input on your other questions...i will be interested in other's input, though.

Some hunting preserves allow you to use ANY weapon, so if you want to use the AR10 platform...call around...I know that Stephen Mohr allows it on his island hunts.

I wouldn't be so quick to be one of the first people in line for the LAR-10. RRA sold the rights to BM...BAR-10 bombed...discontinued the rifle...sold it back to RRA. I'm sure RRA can work out the bugs in their design, but I'd let some other people "test" the LAR10 before I'd even consider it.

I own a DPMS LR 308 and she's a keeper. I haven't heard any complaints about the DPMS. I owned two, but sold one to another member on the forum. Very accurate and well worth the price. I have nothing but good things to say about my DPMS...she will shoot with my bolt action rifles.

(Luzerne County)

Exactly!! What Aub said! BM discontinued the 308 (which was RRAs patent) and the word on the street is they had their fair share of reliability issues with that platform...as in bolts letting loose due to the material removal needed to use cheap FAL mags. Now that RRA has it back I'm not sure if I'd want to be one of the first. If anyone can work things out and deliver quality RRA can do it.....I just wouldn't want to be one of the first given the stormy past of that 308 platform.

(Montgomery County)

I have a BAR10, so far I havent suffered a single malfunction.
    I also ran several hundred rounds thru it in one day at a MG shoot back in September.
    It hits what I aim at, wit standard 147gr surplus I have gotten 1" groups, but average is 1.5-2 or more, its a battle rifle design, not a match rifle.

I hope RRA continues with plans to make them, i want a carbine upper.

the issue with the bolts was not material removal, but apparently overhardening, the lower lug would break, and sometimes the area at the cam pin.

I have a later serial number, and have been told by Bushmaster that mine has a later bolt without such problems.

my only wish is that it had a chrome lined barrel.
    I'm happy with mine so far.
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

(Blair County)

I knew a bunch of guys down south who bought the BMs. Results were mixed. Some, like JayBell, had guns that ran like a Swiss watch. Some, not so much. I think a lot had the early production guns.

I believe BM sold it back because of the reported teething problems (which may well have been blown out of proportion) and the fact that they were committing heavily to the Carbon 15 guns and other projects.

I cannot for the life of me figure out why they didn't offer it with a free floated barrel. Also, the chrome lined barrel would seem like a popular option. With those two options, and taking the $6 FAL mag, I think this gun would be a runaway hit. Especially when the price of the guns is similar, and the others take mags that are $35+.

I've got a DPMS 308LR 18" gun, but I've had it for two years and haven't got it out to shoot it yet (yes, I know, blasphemy). I got a good deal on it, I just haven't worked my way down to it on the project list.

As far as .308 AR platforms in general, that's like asking if all pickup trucks are equally reliable. There are too many different guns on the market right now, and each has it's strengths and weaknesses. BM had bolt issues, the original DPMS plastic mags were crap, and of the Armalites I've seen, they ranged from very good to not so much. SR-25s, well, I don't know, because I don't know anyone who can affort an SR-25. There is very little commonality of partsbetween the manufacturers, so you really have to treat each one as an independent system.
    PREPARE FOR BATTLE

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by DPB View Post
    SR-25s, well, I don't know, because I don't know anyone who can affort an SR-25. There is very little commonality of partsbetween the manufacturers, so you really have to treat each one as an independent system.
    They're also not without issues and the experience runs similar to other makers platforms (hit and miss). The biggest annoyance with the SR-25 is having to deal with Reed Knight if your particular rifle exhibits problems. That and getting parts.