Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default M1A National Match

Anyone shooting a M1A National Match that can comment on accuracy? I'm looking at the rifle with the SS bbl and Walnut stock. I'm dying to get one. I've been pricing them around town the pass few days and came up with a 400 dollar difference between 3 dealers... WOW Right.

(Lebanon County)

Default Re: M1A National Match

welp, if it's actually made to mil spec NM tolerances that really should'nt be in question.
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

(Delaware County)

Did you give the Loaded models a look. They are a little less pricey and are very accurate. I had a loaded standard model with walnut stock and was able to consistently get 3/4 to 1" groups at 100yds. with black hills 168gr. match ammo. Is this for competition or just informal shooting?
    In their hearts humans plan their course, but the LORD establishes their steps.

(Delaware County)

I am more then likely going to shoot competition with it.

(Montgomery County)

If you are planning on shooting NRA Highpower(National Match Course) I would suggest not going the M1A route.

(Delaware County)

Reason being?

Quote Originally Posted by K31 View Post
    Reason being?
    II was wondering same?

You would think if someone was going to make such a profound statement, they would at least clarify for those of us apparently not "in the know"

I own a "Loaded" M1A and is as capable as JIMMYC stated. As far as using it in competition I've heard nothing but Good things about the NM M1a's

If you want it, Get it, Life is too short!
    Recoil Happens

(Montgomery County)

I competed for my first six years of NRA Highpower with the M1A. I loved the rifles, and still think they make fine battle rifles, but they simply can not keep up with AR15s for National Match Course shooting (NRA Highpower). Before anyone starts to beat on me for bad mouthing the M14 please be advised that I am only saying the M1A/M14 is not the best choice for THAT sport.

M1As require tons of work to maintain serious accuracy needed for National Match Course shooting (i.e. 1/2 MOA for consecutive 10 shot strings). That is no easy task for those rifles. When I still competed with them I had a Sam Dayton built double lugged rifle in a McMillan stock with a unitized gas system and a heavy NMC contour Krieger barrel. The rifle shot really well! In fact I was one of the last hold outs of national level competitors to still shoot the M1A at Camp Perry serious.(By that I mean shooters capable of making the President's 100 cut.). The last year I shot the M1A at Camp Perry was 2000 and my rifle gave me fits. Sights not tracking well and having backlash and losing zero. My gas system would change ever so slightly(gas plug getting lose) that it would make 1/2 MOA changes at 600 yds and that will kill your chance of scoring big. Too many moving parts that never come to rest the same shot after shot (mostly op rod issues) and that too would create errors on the long line that were small but would cost points. And then there is the external ballistics. Most new shooters do not want to believe it, but the AR15 with heavy bullets designed for National Match Course Shooting (77grain and 80 grain) will shoot INSIDE the wind of a .308 with 168 match bullets. It is a matter of ballistic coefficient and velocity. The fact is that an 80 grain loaded to 2700 FPS has better ballistics than a .308 168 match bullet going at 2600 fps. The B.C, of the 80 grain bullet is higher and so is the velocity. Physics does the rest.

There is a saying at Camp Perry. "Shoot an AR or get beat by one” and it really is true. There is not a single member of the Army Marksmanship unit or the Marine Rifle team that shoot the M14 at Perry. There are at any given time about 40 civilians capable of winning the Nationals at Perry and not a single one of us shoot the M1A. in fact after the rifle problems I had at Perry in 2000 I switched over the a CLE built AR15 in full blown Service rifle match configuration and that next year won high civilian at Camp Perry (2001) Made the Presidents 100 cut at the Nationals MANY times and won another National trophy as well as several state championships all with the AR.

Now if you simply like to compete with the M1A I say DO IT. They are a pleasure to shoot and I really do love the rifles. If you want to win, it will not be easy with the M1A.

Hope this answers some questions
    Last edited by Seneca Arms Co. Inc.; January 12th, 2008 at 12:03 AM.

(Allegheny County)

Seneca Arms Co what you said is sooooo true. I love my M1A's but I also know their limitations. If you want a NM, Super Match or M21 M1A get one you will not be sorry you did. But if your looking for tack driving accuracy go with an AR-15 1-7 twist and use the heavier 69 and up bullets.
    If your looking at improving the accuracy of an out of the box AR get the book
    The Complete Guide To AR-15 Accuracy by Derrick Martin and or the book The Competitive AR-15 by Glen D. Zediker. About 90% of the information is shared in both books.

BTW I was run off a M1A board because of saying what you said Seneca.
    I wasn't that upset since I was dealing with a bunch of neanderthals who will never move into the 21st century.

(Montgomery County)

ALS,

You are right. It seems when you speak the truth about the M14 and its limitations, people get all anxious and upset. I bet you are much like me in the respect that you love your M1A and it is a great rifle within the parameters that it was designed to work in, however by today's standards they do not make great match rifles.

john

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast