Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Jefferson County)

Default Gun smith/dealer shops listed

We currently plug or shame ranges, shops, and smiths in a generic forum section, here http://forum.pafoa.org/where-not-spend-money-17/ .

I'd like to make a motion to move those, and start listing them on the per regional or county levels. Searching for local ranges, shops, and smith would be a lot easier for a given area without having to look through countless posts out of your region. I'm basically in the Lake, Laurel Highlands and PA Wilds(Allegheny Forest) more than anywhere, being able to just check out those area's venues without going through the Lehigh, Pittsburgh, PA Dutch, etc venues would save some serious time.

If they are listed in the regional or county level as a subforum, we could eliminate a little more clutter on the main forum page.

Another suggestion too for front page clutter is to move the "Gunsmithing" forum section to be another subforum of "Firearms". Handguns, Rifles, Shotguns, Reloading, NFA and Optics is already there - Gunsmithing isn't much of a leap from any of those Firearm related forums.

just a couple suggestions..
    Last edited by knight0334; January 19th, 2009 at 11:23 AM.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

(York County)

Default Re: Gun smith/dealer shops listed

Makes sense to me too. Good idea.
    " The Seeds of Oppression Will One Day Bear The Fruit of Rebellion."

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    We currently plug or shame ranges, shops, and smiths in a generic forum section, here http://forum.pafoa.org/where-not-spend-money-17/ .

I'd like to make a motion to move those, and start listing them on the per regional or county levels. Searching for local ranges, shops, and smith would be a lot easier for a given area without having to look through countless posts out of your region. I'm basically in the Lake, Laurel Highlands and PA Wilds(Allegheny Forest) more than anywhere, being able to just check out those area's venues without going through the Lehigh, Pittsburgh, PA Dutch, etc venues would save some serious time.

If they are listed in the regional or county level as a subforum, we could eliminate a little more clutter on the main forum page.

Another suggestion too for front page clutter is to move the "Gunsmithing" forum section to be another subforum of "Firearms". Handguns, Rifles, Shotguns, Reloading, NFA and Optics is already there - Gunsmithing isn't much of a leap from any of those Firearm related forums.

just a couple suggestions..
    or add a new button to the top of the site and list the gun shops/ranges/smiths by county...I like that idea more, but both work.
    Peace, Prosperity, and Liberty

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by andrewjs18 View Post
    or add a new button to the top of the site and list the gun shops/ranges/smiths by county...I like that idea more, but both work.
    Someone has to write that database into our custom system.

In all honesty this is a feature I've wanted to implement for a while, it's just not a high priority and would take a lot of development time to do right.
    Dan P, Founder & President, Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

(Philadelphia County)

Additionally, I strongly support people taking the initiative and creating a single thread listing all local gun shops in the county-level forums, I know a few people have done such things.
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by danp View Post
    Someone has to write that database into our custom system.

In all honesty this is a feature I've wanted to implement for a while, it's just not a high priority and would take a lot of development time to do right.
    Wish I knew how to write databases to offer help, but I don't. Maybe if you're willing to have someone write up something someone will donate some time and help you out. I think this is a great feature that'll make the main site more informative.
    Peace, Prosperity, and Liberty

(Allegheny County)

Depending on what's involved (time constraints) ... I could help out. I do PHP/MySQL development.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

(Luzerne County)

Maybe you(we) can base it on a systemllike Ebay and Gunbroker have, you enter your ZIP code and it showes you the FFLholders with MILES to that zip code. ?????

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Mike View Post
    Maybe you(we) can base it on a systemllike Ebay and Gunbroker have, you enter your ZIP code and it showes you the FFLholders with MILES to that zip code. ?????
    That's the plan, but a massive amount of data and a database/application to deal with the data has to be written to support that.

It's all possible, just takes good old fashioned hard work.

Thumbs up Re: Gun smith/dealer shops listed

Quote Originally Posted by danp View Post
    That's the plan, but a massive amount of data and a database/application to deal with the data has to be written to support that.

It's all possible, just takes good old fashioned hard work.
    A blog may be a little easier to manage. I suggest WordPress.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast